Flybikes Cassette

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2019 6:46 PM

For those who remember all the attempts from Fly with their rear cassette hub. I'm interested and if so FINALLY.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtOZ4ZshQdU/

Fly Cassette

View Results

|

2/9/2019 7:19 PM

Haven't heard mention of this in a looong time! I never understood what's supposed to be so great about it but the name is making me think of this:

No springs, the ratchet is moved by a pair of repelling magnets.

|

My Sunday Soundwave Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork" - grumpySteve

2/10/2019 11:34 AM

Yeah had a feeling it'd have something to do with magnets due to its name. Very interested in it. Might be something new to look forward to instead of the same regurgitated cookie cutter catelogue clone parts that are out these days.

|

2/10/2019 3:47 PM

Eh it would’ve been cool 10 years ago lol. I remember always hearing and waiting for it to come out. Old Fly was awesome. I don’t really feel anything they’re doing now but I did get another Tierra just now one of the best frames made (As you know with all of them you’ve had haha)

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/10/2019 9:52 PM

Im always interested in new tech! Cant wait to see what its all about.

|

2/11/2019 7:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2019 7:25 AM

I gotta wonder; how much metal particles it will pick up and clog itself into a useless pile of scrap, or at the very least need cleaning of metal particles on a weekly basis if ridden on the street. I’m always rolling around in industrial sites and This would be my main concern. Probably never an issue for park/dirt riders.

Does look neat but I’m not sure what the appeal of this design is over traditional pawled design.

|

2/11/2019 7:35 AM

Unless this design is in use somewhere else, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

BMX isn’t really a leading edge source of technical innovation and there are plenty of much higher value applications where a new and better ratcheting hub would have showed up.

BMX has had more than it’s fair share of shitty gimmicks though...

|

2/11/2019 7:52 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I gotta wonder; how much metal particles it will pick up and clog itself into a useless pile of scrap, or at the very least need cleaning of metal particles on a weekly basis if ridden on the street. I’m always rolling around in industrial sites and This would be my main concern. Probably never an issue for park/dirt riders.

Does look neat but I’m not sure what the appeal of this design is over traditional pawled design.

Just to be clear, we don't actually know what the design will be like; I was just speculating as to the design, based off the name.

|

2/11/2019 8:00 AM

I like fly, but this is pointless. How many hubs are already out there, that cater for every type of rider?

|

2/11/2019 12:43 PM

Im hoping they also do it out of 7075.

|

2/11/2019 12:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2019 12:46 PM

Four wrote:

Eh it would’ve been cool 10 years ago lol. I remember always hearing and waiting for it to come out. Old Fly was awesome. I don’t really feel anything they’re doing now but I did get another Tierra just now one of the best frames made (As you know with all of them you’ve had haha)

I feel the exact same way. Their new stuff is pretty basic, old Fly was way more innovative. Oh nice what version/colour did you grab ? Throw up some shots, definitely one the the best frames they made I think. I still have a v3 sitting in my room. Great frames.

|

2/11/2019 12:48 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I like fly, but this is pointless. How many hubs are already out there, that cater for every type of rider?

They used to be way better. I don't think there are any magnetic hubs if that's what it actually is for freestyle,which would be something new, really can't say until we get the scoop on it. I know there are some for MTB, Road ?.

|

2/11/2019 12:53 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Im hoping they also do it out of 7075.

I think a 6000 series aluminium would be far better as they're quite a bit "softer", allowing the spokes to seat properly, meaning a better, longer lasting wheelbuild.

|

2/11/2019 12:55 PM

That would be cool if they took up where proper left of with a magnesium hub body with titanium internals and driver

|

2/11/2019 1:00 PM

eskimojay wrote:

That would be cool if they took up where proper left of with a magnesium hub body with titanium internals and driver

|

2/11/2019 1:11 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I think a 6000 series aluminium would be far better as they're quite a bit "softer", allowing the spokes to seat properly, meaning a better, longer lasting wheelbuild.

7075 is definitely the superior choice for hub shells, even though I might call it overkill. Properly designed spoke seats and flanges will make the material irrelevant, and the stronger aluminum will make the flanges pretty much indestructible while also helping to prevent the bearing seats from stretching due to spoke tension.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

2/11/2019 1:29 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

7075 is definitely the superior choice for hub shells, even though I might call it overkill. Properly designed spoke seats and flanges will make the material irrelevant, and the stronger aluminum will make the flanges pretty much indestructible while also helping to prevent the bearing seats from stretching due to spoke tension.

Tell that to my broken Simian hubshell...

7075 is quite a bit harder than just about any 6000 series aluminium. Because of this hardness, the spokes can't properly embed themselves in the flanges and instead, you end up with a massive amount of point loading on each spoke, which is not good for either the hubshell or the spokes. That point loading can actually lead to cracks in the flanges.

You assume that despite the large amount of variation in rim dimensions, there's a perfect design; there's not...

|

2/11/2019 2:11 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

They used to be way better. I don't think there are any magnetic hubs if that's what it actually is for freestyle,which would be something new, really can't say until we get the scoop on it. I know there are some for MTB, Road ?.

Yeah, but it's still going to do the same job. Another example of fixing a problem that doesn't really exist

|

2/11/2019 2:17 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah, but it's still going to do the same job. Another example of fixing a problem that doesn't really exist

There's quite a lot of that going around lately, eh?

|

2/11/2019 2:40 PM

Cellmember wrote:

I feel the exact same way. Their new stuff is pretty basic, old Fly was way more innovative. Oh nice what version/colour did you grab ? Throw up some shots, definitely one the the best frames they made I think. I still have a v3 sitting in my room. Great frames.

Fly was making the best stuff from 2005-2010 after that they seemed to been eh. I got a mint v3 which was the frame I wanted when I started riding. I’ll for sure post a bike check haha. They should bring that frame back and just change the name.

|

2/11/2019 5:49 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Nothing wrong with innovation.

|

2/11/2019 11:59 PM

Cellmember wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

There's quite a lot of that going around lately, eh?

Yep, it's like they just want to be different to stand out

|

2/12/2019 12:05 AM

Cellmember wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Swaggy P wrote:

Yeah, but trying to fix problems that don't exist just seems gimmicky.

|

2/12/2019 7:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2019 7:22 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Swaggy P wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Flys just trying to innovate with new ideas while most of the bmx world is too close minded to want to risk change

Gimmicky , like people trying to start companies by having other companies like fbm build them frames with generic cookie cutter specs and nothing new or innovative to bring to the table ? It doesn’t get more gimmicky than that , If I had a dollar for every time I’ve seen that idea fail I could buy myself an fbm frame

|

2/12/2019 8:13 AM

Swaggy P wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

Flys just trying to innovate with new ideas while most of the bmx world is too close minded to want to risk change

Gimmicky , like people trying to start companies by having other companies like fbm build them frames with generic cookie cutter specs and nothing new or innovative to bring to the table ? It doesn’t get more gimmicky than that , If I had a dollar for every time I’ve seen that idea fail I could buy myself an fbm frame

So what are your thoughts on the Nowear frame/bars?

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

2/12/2019 8:29 AM

Swaggy P wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

Says the kid with an oil slick bike made in Taiwan.....

And if you're referring to the frames I wanted to get made, no other brand currently makes the geometry I wanted. And I wanted fbm to make them because I believe in supporting the industry. Adding things that aren't necessary is a gimmick. Offering something currently not available isn't. I could've added gussets or wishbones, but they don't really help and just add weight. And the stems were going to be flippable, giving a choice of rise. Which has been done, but currently no one offers it.

A hub is a hub. They don't need to be different. It'll do the same job as every other cassette out there, but potentially with more chance of failure.

|

2/12/2019 8:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2019 8:50 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

They look interesting , seen them in person at a couple fise events , allot of front brake people rip them up ,that frame design would help for over the top tube tricks forsure , watched Hannah robberts beat the shit out of hers crashing a bunch of no handed flairs , didn’t break

You running front brakes still ? I’m thinking about getting front brakes this season, tough to decide on a fork , was just watching a front brake video with some guys on nowear frames ripping it up

|

2/12/2019 10:47 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I will say nowear frames and bars are just ugly lol. Trying so hard to stand out that they look ridiculous

|

2/12/2019 10:50 AM

eskimojay wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

They look interesting , seen them in person at a couple fise events , allot of front brake people rip them up ,that frame design would help for over the top tube tricks forsure , watched Hannah robberts beat the shit out of hers crashing a bunch of no handed flairs , didn’t break

You running front brakes still ? I’m thinking about getting front brakes this season, tough to decide on a fork , was just watching a front brake video with some guys on nowear frames ripping it up

I want to run front brakes but it seems like a pretty big price tag with forks, lever, brakes, and cable. It adds up. Even with cheaper forks. Still thinking about it.
Was thinking of running the Salt HQ fork with mounts and probably Salt brake parts. It's significantly cheaper that way(still a couple hundred bucks). I have Salt parts on my bikes and they seem fine. Not fancy but not junk like a lot of people think.

|

2/12/2019 10:54 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I want to run front brakes but it seems like a pretty big price tag with forks, lever, brakes, and cable. It adds up. Even with cheaper forks. Still thinking about it.
Was thinking of running the Salt HQ fork with mounts and probably Salt brake parts. It's significantly cheaper that way(still a couple hundred bucks). I have Salt parts on my bikes and they seem fine. Not fancy but not junk like a lot of people think.

Speaking of salt their Echo headset is extremely well made especially for the price and the 2 different dust caps they provide with it is awesome. Best headset so far and I've had a lot of brands.

|