Flybikes "Manual Springhanger" Brake

Related:
Create New Tag

4/8/2018 9:43 AM

Hi guys!

Anyone has experience with this brake?
I can't find any reviews online.

It does look to simplify things, but how reliable is it?
I reckon that the spring would lose its tension pretty fast and that you'd have to keep adjusting it until it will break.

Photo

|

4/8/2018 9:50 AM

I know very little about BMX brakes but I just want to point out that springs don't lose their tension for a very, very large number of cycles if you don't exceed their elastic limit.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/8/2018 9:59 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I know very little about BMX brakes but I just want to point out that springs don't lose their tension for a very, very large ...more

That is good to know! cheerful

|

4/8/2018 10:15 AM

Damn, that is super clean looking. I like it a lot. I had an issue last night with my crank arm hitting the outside of the pad screw on my evo2 but I was heading home and didn’t care much but the thought crossed my mind that the evo could definitely be skimmed down and simplified.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/8/2018 1:40 PM

I found a review:
https://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Lol-fly-brakes,1305155

Looks like they are pretty shitty sad

|

4/8/2018 1:41 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Damn, that is super clean looking. I like it a lot. I had an issue last night with my crank arm hitting the outside of the pad ...more

You could get the SBP fly pads
They have a female bolt system, so it doesn't stick out

|

4/8/2018 1:59 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

I found a review:
https://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Lol-fly-brakes,1305155

Looks like they are pretty shitty ...more

It was probably fine until he threatened to fight it...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/8/2018 1:59 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

You could get the SBP fly pads
They have a female bolt system, so it doesn't stick out

Thanks! But I just looked at my bike and must’ve landed a 180° nice and sideways...my back wheel got knocked crooked and that’s why it was hitting.

I’ll definitely check those pads out though. I could always use extra clearance and those will do that for sure.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/8/2018 3:44 PM

I had one. It broke. Those knarps, if they can so be called, are/were press-fit and one popped off. For what it's worth, I liked it while it worked, though.

|

4/8/2018 4:00 PM

Yer i have one on my omega complete. Its not great tbh. But brakes drive me insane. Probably user error on my part

|

4/8/2018 4:06 PM

GMGuinn wrote:

I had one. It broke. Those knarps, if they can so be called, are/were press-fit and one popped off. For what it's worth, I ...more

Hmm
Do you know if you could install a pair of normal knarps on the arms of the spring?
Or are they too thick?
Photo

|

4/8/2018 5:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2018 5:26 PM

They are actually pretty good brakes, the review thread you found where of the V1 spring which were thinner and prone to snapping off the ball ends, they've beefed em up now, no problems. Got a pair myself as I'm a heavy brake user can't really go wrong with em if your after spring hanger type brakes.

|

4/8/2018 5:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2018 5:25 PM

GMGuinn wrote:

I had one. It broke. Those knarps, if they can so be called, are/were press-fit and one popped off. For what it's worth, I ...more

am-shaegar wrote:

Hmm
Do you know if you could install a pair of normal knarps on the arms of the spring?
Or are they too thick?
Photo

You could but you would need to have a nipple cut down in half have them facing into the arms and you're good to go, really cheap/quick way to use normal knarps or you could get pin savers which is what I use also on my classico's.

|

4/10/2018 9:46 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Damn, that is super clean looking. I like it a lot. I had an issue last night with my crank arm hitting the outside of the pad ...more

The Evo 2 is made to be adjustable so that you can adjust braking power on it. Simple brakes like the springfield and this one here are made to be the most commonly used setting which sometimes isn't enough or is too much for the user.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/10/2018 10:09 AM

What happened to v brakes? I used to love them. I swear they stopped like fuck. So much stronger braking power that u?

|

4/10/2018 5:45 PM

C win wrote:

What happened to v brakes? I used to love them. I swear they stopped like fuck. So much stronger braking power that u?

U brakes have more modulation and control than V brakes. V brakes are still pretty common on racing bikes though. One reason that U brakes are used in favor of V brakes is that they are simpler to set up, not to mention that they work much better with gyros than V brakes.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican