Foam Pits

Related:
Create New Tag

11/18/2018 4:08 AM

Anybody here use them to learn tricks? They seem to be becoming rarer but I'm visiting a park that has one today. Might try no foot cans and maybe barspins, although no handed tricks into foam can be sketchy.

|

11/18/2018 8:45 AM

I hear they are hard to get out of

|

11/18/2018 9:07 AM

Never had the chance to use one, but why do you single out no-handed tricks as sketchy if it’s into foam?

|

YouTube: REYN H. STUDiOS // Instagram: @bmxereyn

11/18/2018 9:11 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Never had the chance to use one, but why do you single out no-handed tricks as sketchy if it’s into foam?

My guess is that landing in a pit no handed is the risk, which could result in banging your nuts/chest/face etc. on the bars/stem area.

I'd love to try barspins and whips into foam a couple times just to get some extra confidence.

|

11/18/2018 9:21 AM

I love foam pits. Learned tbogs, 180 bogs, and got more confident in turndowns last time I went. I’ve tried a few barspins into one, never worked out. The bike always fell out from under me and I landed on it. Left shin got tore up from the top tube and I fucked my right foot up when it went through the frame. I do feel more confident in throwing them though. The one at my local throws you pretty high too which gives you some time to figure out what to do. Spins are fun to learn in them too. They’re hell to get out of but worth it.

|

11/18/2018 9:36 AM

I miss the only foam pit we had out here...only got to ride in it once or twice. Planned on learning flyout x-ups. We have an airbag here but I dont really have interest doing a mini mega into an airbag...

|

11/18/2018 10:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/18/2018 10:43 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Rabbe wrote:

My guess is that landing in a pit no handed is the risk, which could result in banging your nuts/chest/face etc. on the bars/stem area.

I'd love to try barspins and whips into foam a couple times just to get some extra confidence.

This. Bars to face / knees is a lot more painful in foam because your bike stops dead. Mainly just straight jumped it today but it definitely helped me get confidence for bigger jumps as it's a pretty huge kicker.

|

11/18/2018 11:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2018 8:17 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I miss the only foam pit we had out here...only got to ride in it once or twice. Planned on learning flyout x-ups. We have an airbag here but I dont really have interest doing a mini mega into an airbag...

Mini mega to airbags are so much fun , I miss having the one around here , probably the funnest thing to do , sounds easier to slide off an airbag then climb out of a foam pit

|

11/18/2018 12:44 PM

IT's cool, when a town gets a foam pit, everyone in the area gets really good at flipping and whipping, and all that. Then they move on to real ramps very quickly. It's fun.

|

11/18/2018 1:11 PM

I “learned” backflips and truck drivers into foam. I say “learned” cause I never took em to a real ramp though.

they are a bit of a pain in the ass to get out of and you still have to worry about landing on your bike or your bike landing on you. also if you’re gonna try flips, take everything out of your pockets before you do so. some people have their shit fly out of there mid flip then it’s gone forever

|

11/19/2018 12:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2018 12:34 AM

A wise man once said (about foam pits)........”they are really only good if they are in your backyard”.

A half ass foam pit in your backyard is going to do WAY more for you, as a beginner......then some pro level foam pit a two hour drive away, with a super steep transition, that has two dozen other riders, scooters, using it too.

If you are just learning to bar , 360 and tailwhip , and no-foot cans, etc -soo many street-ish tricks -figure out a way to build your own small one. You just don’t need a 6ft deep foam pit, that you have to “swim” out of to learn these tricks. The biggest benefit is really -that you can ride it for a couple hours everyday -whenever you want. You will also have full control over what transition steepness you have.

This relates to one of the more common myths about foam pits: you can learn a trick in one day. This is generally bullsh*t because real deep foam pits are unbelievable exhausting to get out of repetitively. So unless you are learning X-ups, or are already good at several other tricks, it won’t happen fast.

Also one of the most common myths of all : You can’t get hurt in a foam pit. Anybody who hasn’t had experience jumping into a real deep foam pit would never guess about the strange phenomenon of : “Falling Thru The Bike”. It is hard to describe, but because you are heavier than the bike, the bike kinda “floats” at the surface of the foam (i.e. when you bail off) and you come crashing down thru it...... and it bangs the shit out of you in so many ways you would not have thought possible.

And there always seems to be one or two dudes at the “rent-a-foam-pit” who come there to learn to backflips. They really can’t do any other tricks......but wanna start with a backflip. Usually takes them 6-7 tries before they can even get semi-upside down, then they bail, the bike falls on top of the them, they come out bloody and quickly reevaluate their ideas of trick choices.

|

11/19/2018 12:57 AM

Getting out of them is a proper workout and pretty much kills you off for the rest of the session. Be interesting to see RumHam read the comments about barspins, because I think he's planning some into foam this week

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

11/19/2018 3:59 AM

All of you who aren't awful people come to Minneapolis and ride the Factory some time. They have foam and Resi.

As to no handed stuff into foam, it's no different than learning on a flyout aside from coming down farther. You can easily kick the bike away.

Or just pull it.

I learned flips into foam, did tire grab to bar, 720s and 900s, attempted whips and just hucked anything I wanted.

They are hard to climb out of, and you WILL get little foam specs in your eyes. That part SUUUUCKS.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

11/19/2018 6:29 AM

If your going to try flips , never let go of the bars , the bike could fly up in the air and smoke you when it lands

|

11/19/2018 8:59 AM

fooby wrote:

Anybody here use them to learn tricks? They seem to be becoming rarer but I'm visiting a park that has one today. Might try no foot cans and maybe barspins, although no handed tricks into foam can be sketchy.

They are a pain to get out of. Half your energy is drained from getting out of them.

You mentioned no foot can cans, I highly suggest trying them on a fly out. Same with bar spins. A no foot can isn’t a hard trick to get. Just do it in steps and you should have them down fast. Start with just doing can cans and landing in a can can lander (be sure you can do a regular can can). Then you want a bit more height and as your leg crosses over the top tube, kinda kick the other off. If you can do no footers, which is a prerequisite to a no foot can and a normal can then once you know the basic height and how much time you need. You don’t need a foam pit. They are really good for flips, flairs, cash rolls and stuff like that. But if you try no foot cans off a fly out the worst thing you would do is land beside your bike on your feet

|

11/19/2018 1:29 PM

eskimojay wrote:

If your going to try flips , never let go of the bars , the bike could fly up in the air and smoke you when it lands

This. Always keep looking for the landing too. If you focus on the ceiling, you stop rotating.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

11/19/2018 5:53 PM

If you want to learn barspins, don't try them in foam, it'll F U UP. Try flips (they are easier than you've ever thought), but other than that, they are pretty over rated, as most other things are best learned flyout (because often times the hardest part is getting cajones to commit to the trick) FYI, a foam pit doesn't give you balls.

|

11/20/2018 12:39 AM

Apart from flip tricks (back, front, flairs, flip whips, etc.), I don't see why you would ever need a foam pit to learn new tricks.

If you can't commit to throwing a barspin (or even just an x-up) on a normal flyout, you'll never be able to do them comfortably.

|

11/20/2018 7:05 AM

As a local of woodward I can give you a couple of reasons why foam pits are awesome and why the are not.

First of all, you will learn tricks easier, build confidence and stay (usually) healthier doing it. There are tricks in the sport now that never would have been done without foam. Period.

Foam pits are also the leading cause of injury at skateparks that have them. By far. They are very expensive to insure as well. You can get messed up in a foam pit very easily. When people are learning flips. I always tell them "don't let go of your bike for any reason". They get upside down throw the bike straight up in the air and it lands on them. But they don't break their neck so...

-Keith

|

11/20/2018 8:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2018 8:21 AM

Fatalize wrote:

Apart from flip tricks (back, front, flairs, flip whips, etc.), I don't see why you would ever need a foam pit to learn new tricks.

If you can't commit to throwing a barspin (or even just an x-up) on a normal flyout, you'll never be able to do them comfortably.

Really ? I heard on a podcast Dennis enarson used a foam pit to learn turndowns after he was already an established pro , I don’t know if I agree with you’re statement

|

11/24/2018 6:02 AM

Foam pit is good because it allows you to concentrate on doing the trick and not wasting brain power on where you are going to land. The point of a foam pit is to learn tricks though so in my opinion you should only be sending tricks that you’ll commit to when you figure it out. Use it as like a proof you can do it confidence builder and use that confidence to pull it for real as soon as possible and commit the trick muscle memory

|

11/26/2018 10:59 AM

SoCalShreds wrote:

If you want to learn barspins, don't try them in foam, it'll F U UP. Try flips (they are easier than you've ever thought), but other than that, they are pretty over rated, as most other things are best learned flyout (because often times the hardest part is getting cajones to commit to the trick) FYI, a foam pit doesn't give you balls.

Actually it CAN give you confidence to huck it for real.

If you have no idea how to fire out a trick that could get you seriously hurt-tossing it into the foam a handful of times will help you learn the mechanics of the trick, to then huck on a flyout or box or whatever.

|

11/26/2018 6:32 PM

Yup. Never thrown a 360 let alone a 360 X-up and throwing them into the foam, I’m sure I’ll be blasting them over the box by the end of winter 👌🏼

|

11/26/2018 6:58 PM

Baltimoron wrote:

Yup. Never thrown a 360 let alone a 360 X-up and throwing them into the foam, I’m sure I’ll be blasting them over the box by the end of winter 👌🏼

is the box jump there any better since they redid the lip? I think they redid it anyway, I was there 2 Fridays ago and noticed it but a bunch of scooter shits were playing on it so I didn't get a chance to ride it. I always hated the old lip, felt like it was angled up too much and I never felt comfortable 3ing it or even jumping it

If it's anything like the lip to the foam is it'd be much better

|

11/28/2018 7:17 AM

Baltimoron wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

is the box jump there any better since they redid the lip? I think they redid it anyway, I was there 2 Fridays ago and noticed it but a bunch of scooter shits were playing on it so I didn't get a chance to ride it. I always hated the old lip, felt like it was angled up too much and I never felt comfortable 3ing it or even jumping it

If it's anything like the lip to the foam is it'd be much better

Dude, the new box is wayyyyyyyy better than the old. Next time you go, hit me up. I normally head up there after 5 so it’s only $5 but I love that park. I’m always down to hit it up. Normally DeadGoon meets me up there too.

|

11/28/2018 9:10 AM

I is hurt still

|

11/28/2018 3:34 PM

Baltimoron wrote:

Dude, the new box is wayyyyyyyy better than the old. Next time you go, hit me up. I normally head up there after 5 so it’s only $5 but I love that park. I’m always down to hit it up. Normally DeadGoon meets me up there too.

What days are you usually there? If I go it's usually Friday or Sunday, sometimes Saturdays but not typically, and usually only if I have someone to go down with/meet up with there. Don't really go during the week much unless it's after 5 and in the dead of Winter when I'm itching for a session

|

11/28/2018 4:27 PM

I’m down to go whenever. Try to avoid Friday nights because of how packed it is but it doesn’t really matter to me. A nice open-close session on Sunday is always fun. As long as I get a few left hand cig breaks lol
I’ll message you my number. Just hit me up whenever you wanna go.

|