Folding Tires Disappearing?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/16/2014 8:20 AM

A few years back, tires with a kevlar bead were all the rage but now it seems like most companies are ceasing to make them.
What are your thoughts on this?

|

6/16/2014 8:27 AM

I think the price of them was the problem.
Seems to me nobody in bmx wants to, or has money to spend.
IMO.

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

6/16/2014 8:29 AM

Probably realized that making them with thinner sidewalls was cheaper than using an expensive kevlar bead.

|

6/16/2014 8:40 AM

Fit and Fly still makes theirs!

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

6/16/2014 8:43 AM

The point of those was weight, or so everyone thought. That and ease of installation. Now most steel bead tires install almost as easily. Add the fact that the weight weenie trend is dead and we don't really have aneed for folding tires anymore. Except maybe lower shipping cost

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

6/16/2014 9:29 AM

No true benefit for cost in freestyle bmx.

|

6/16/2014 9:43 AM

rotational weight is one of the best ways of speeding up how your bike handles and feels in general, makes it easier to flick the bike around. It's a far better idea then stupid thin sidewalls that blowout all the time as well, literally the only downside to them is the price. I've been on them pretty much since they came out (apart from riding demo momentums and machete for like 2 months) and I wouldn't go back

|

6/16/2014 10:18 AM

I really wanted P-Lyte Odyssey Hawk tires. The folding bead would make installation easier and slightly lighter so pulling up seems less effort and for airs and stuff it just seems like having a lighter front end would feel better but idk

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/16/2014 10:25 AM

I used to buy them because they were SOOOOOOOOO much easier to install. I've had Shadow Stradas & Fit FAF's & they were honestly easier to install than the K-Lyte Aitkens I had & HATED.

|

6/16/2014 10:25 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I really wanted P-Lyte Odyssey Hawk tires. The folding bead would make installation easier and slightly lighter so pulling up ...more

The P-Lytes don't have a Kevlar Bead. The K-Lyte ones do though.

|

6/16/2014 10:29 AM

They probably are slowing down in creating them, then again, in the last year SO MANY NEW TIRES HAVE COME OUT.
Shadow Valor
Donnasqueak
Cult Vans tires
Hawk Tires (atleast i am pretty sure they have)
MTTs
Primo WLT
Primo Lee Dennis
Cult Slicks
Fit T/A tires
There are surely a lot more, but i dont feel like looking many more up.

The fact is that there are a lot of tires out there and none of the above come in a folding version. I dont personally think that folding tires are bad, when i had the Odyssey K lyte tire i loved it. I want more eventually, but right now they are still good. haha

They are definitely fading out and for one reason really, tires are already expensive. 26 bucks a tire (on average) is a lot. 40 bucks is almost the price of two, for one folding tire. A lot of people dont wanna spend that kind of money on a tire. Other than park riders (in general) people wont spend that on a street oriented bike. I got mine on a good deal. For some reason that tire was a lot cheaper than the original path. I hope they dont fade out, because it is good to have the option.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/16/2014 10:36 AM

Id pay an extra 7.5euro for fit t/A in kevlar man.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

6/16/2014 11:09 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

The P-Lytes don't have a Kevlar Bead. The K-Lyte ones do though.

That's what I meant , thanks , always get confused

|

My Cult 2 Short

6/16/2014 4:31 PM

I personally have always liked a lighter tire in the back since my rear end is so heavy compared to the front (mainly due to my freecoaster).
For this reason I typically prefer to get a kevlar beaded tire for the back.

|

6/16/2014 5:01 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

I personally have always liked a lighter tire in the back since my rear end is so heavy compared to the front (mainly due to ...more

A coaster made no difference to me weight wise. Unknowningly , I got the lightest Odyssey rim (Quadrant) so maybe that helps.

|

My Cult 2 Short

6/16/2014 5:07 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

I personally have always liked a lighter tire in the back since my rear end is so heavy compared to the front (mainly due to ...more

I understand you man, i ride a fc to a cinema 777 with stock spokes and a heavy ass peg (from a stock gt that weights 400gr, 2x as usual). I am taking the peg out tho.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

6/16/2014 5:32 PM

I always rather the thick side wall tires. like the side walls in the old maxxis hookworm was amazing.
Thin ones and the Kevlar ones just seemed too squishy. well in my eyes they did.

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

6/16/2014 6:10 PM

they were just too expensive for me. id rather spend less or getting free ones from friends... also. theyre mad easy to get on and all that fun stuff.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/16/2014 6:19 PM

I hope the Fit FAF in 2.25" never gets stopped being made in folding. It seems less people want them, which is good for me cause EVERY time I need a new one, ALL the regular 2.25" tires are not in stock at every mail order & Fit themselves do not have them, so I have to get folding.

If this happens again though I'm just switching my tire setup cause I'm sick of paying twice as much for a tire.

|

6/16/2014 6:30 PM

If you have a kevlar bead you can have a normal thickness sidewall. Right?

|

6/16/2014 7:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/16/2014 7:28 PM

I've rode Kevlar fafs and Kevlar rubans, I'm now riding wire bead Hoffman rotator tires an I was riding wire bead rubans.....riding either set up at 100 to 110 psi i don't really notice a difference ,but he idea of Kevlar is a good one I might get some Kevlar revenge pinners when I get my new wheels

|

6/16/2014 11:52 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

If you have a kevlar bead you can have a normal thickness sidewall. Right?

yep, you have the option to either make a really light tyre like KHE by using thin walls or you can make a really strong tyre like the FAF-k or animal GLH-R

|

6/17/2014 7:44 AM

Demolition momentum tyres are the lightest non folding tyres, i can barely tell the difference.

|

6/17/2014 10:23 AM

ChrisWilmshurst wrote:

Demolition momentum tyres are the lightest non folding tyres, i can barely tell the difference.

till you catch em on a ledge and rip the sidewall through at least

|