For those who love dirt...

Related:
Create New Tag

9/5/2014 8:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2014 5:06 PM

Dane Searls would be proud! RIP. Jed Mildon pushing boundaries...


Episode 1:




Episode 2: (Red Bull's video won't embed)


http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331679163830/dirt-dogs-bmx-video-featuring-jed-mildon-episode-2



|

9/5/2014 9:31 PM

That's crazy! I remember the video of dane searls with the worlds biggest dirt was like the first thing i ever watched on this site. How did he die?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/5/2014 9:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2014 9:43 PM

He was drunk at a bar and tried to jump off their balcony into the pool and landed on his head. Shouldn't have made a stupid decision, but alcohol and peer pressure are a bitch unfortunatly. He should've at least died on one of his jumps. Tragedy that could've been avoided and who knows where bmx dirt would be right now. I'm just happy and thankful that Red Bull is pushing the progression of dirt with events like Dreamline, in a time where it seems like it's on the verge of dying because of street being trendy.

|

9/6/2014 7:34 AM

-Havok- wrote:

He was drunk at a bar and tried to jump off their balcony into the pool and landed on his head. Shouldn't have made a stupid ...more

It's because street is easier to get good at. Honestly, most of the tricks done are simple by themselves, and they are linked or thrown down on bigger objects. A feeble on a 6 foot tall ledge is still just a feeble. It's scarier than on a foot tall ledge, but it is just a feeble.

That's I think why a lot of kids like street so much. It's easier to get good at. Plus it makes them feel like they are "street" or "gangster" or something, AND there is literally no work required to make a spot when you want to ride. You just cruise around and find a spot. Trails you have to spend hours working, park you have to pay usually and there are other people riding other things there. It feels less hardcore/underground.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/6/2014 8:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2014 8:51 AM

Dirt jumps require work to run. Lots of work.
And from my perspective , trails has never been more popular.

|

9/6/2014 9:29 AM

pnj wrote:

Dirt jumps require work to run. Lots of work.
And from my perspective , trails has never been more popular.

Depends on where you are, it was that way here til lil kids destroyed the trails we had, now everyone rides the plaza, or some street.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/6/2014 7:48 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

It's because street is easier to get good at. Honestly, most of the tricks done are simple by themselves, and they are linked ...more

this is literally the dumbest thing I've seen on this site. i am mainly a street rider but I enjoy all aspects of riding , (which is why i came onto this thread) but for people to say a trick down something bigger is not any cooler is just ignorant. when stevie trucked el toro was that just a truck? I don't think so it required more skill, more commitment and more balls, therefore its not just a truck. this is also true for park/dirt. when tom dugan blasts a quarter and gets 15ft up is it just an air? no. and you act like finding a spot takes away from street. like u just stumble on spots left and right. finding a good spot takes hours of searching unless you just go to your normal spot. plus street is not made for riding which makes each set up you encounter different than the last. plus you say street is easy to learn? the basics of linking up tricks manuals, nose manuals, etc. take countless hours of practice to master. I'm not bashing any other faction of riding just defending my own.

|

Rails not Trails

9/6/2014 8:36 PM

RapandBMX wrote:

this is literally the dumbest thing I've seen on this site. i am mainly a street rider but I enjoy all aspects of riding , ...more

I wanted to quote the whole thing but i cant because its huge.

Alright, this is an argument with 2 entirely different perspectives. I think its important to ride EVERYTHING. No matter what youre good at. BMX is completely intertwined with the styles. Sure, some people ride dirt, some ride park, and some ride street. The best riders ride everything and are GOOD at it. I don't care if you can do all the grind combos, if you cant do a simple air, it doesn't make you a well rounded rider. Lets take a look at Garrett Reynolds. I know some of you may argue this, and say "blah blah blah cookie cutter blah X Games sucks" and i don't care. There is no doubt that Garrett Reynolds is an INCREDIBLE rider. He pulls giant shit, and continues to do crazy shit. What did he ride as a kid? Park, dirt, race, AND street. Without park, he probably couldn't have been the same rider he is.

All aspects of BMX are hard in their own ways to get good at. Street can be figuring out how to link certain tricks, being able to send huge tricks like Trucking El Toro. Sure grind combos and good technical riding also takes a lot of practice, but not as much balls. Trails is about getting the pump right and the pull and going higher and harder than the time before! Park can be as nuts as sending big flairs on vert style ramps to crazy combos learned into foam pits. Other times it can be going high and flowing just right. What i guess im trying to say is, all aspects are difficult in their own way. There is a theory that to become truly good at something you have to spend 10,000 hours to get good at it. BMX is a little different. If you spend 10,000 hours on a foot tall ledge, youre only gonna get good at riding that foot tall ledge. If you do some park, some other stuff, and practice new tricks, youll get even better at that ledge. BMX is about having fun, but without that practice at all the aspects, you wont learn enough.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/7/2014 3:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2014 3:34 AM

-Havok- wrote:

He was drunk at a bar and tried to jump off their balcony into the pool and landed on his head. Shouldn't have made a stupid ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

It's because street is easier to get good at. Honestly, most of the tricks done are simple by themselves, and they are linked ...more

RapandBMX wrote:

this is literally the dumbest thing I've seen on this site. i am mainly a street rider but I enjoy all aspects of riding , ...more

While I do agree with you somewhat Dave, I have to agree with with Rap as well. Yes, it's incredibly convenient being able to just cruise down the street and find spot after spot (depending on where you live anyways) that the city workers/private builders etc built, it does however take away the dedication factor of putting in countless hours of hard work to just to be able to have a spot to ride like trails. Dirt takes a certain dedication that street/park only riders don't have to deal with because almost everything's already there for them(with the exception of having to move objects if possible), whether they want to admit it or not. And I'm sure that's going to start a huge war on here, but sorry it's the truth. Plus they generally don't have to worry about their spots getting bulldozed every year, which is heartbreak to anyone in dirt and a fate worse than death IMO. As well as constantly having to put in work because of the weather, people walking on them, riding dirtbikes on them, driving r/c cars on them, etc, on top of cops hovering around the area once they get known. And yes, I do think it's alot easier for kids to get involved in street and get good quicker. But that's also because 99% of kids don't have the balls to hit a decent sized dirt jump, and not all trails have smaller jumps for kids or a pump track or something. And I honestly like being at the trails with respectful adults alot more anyways because they actually comprehend basic trail etiquette and don't cause drama, so it's for the better. Lol. However I do hate going to parks and seeing them flooded with kids that just get in the way constantly and cause problems for everyone. Or the ones that draw negative attention to street spots by vandalising and acting stupid.

HOWEVER, Rap is right tho, the process of being able to learn the tricks and link them up on street objects takes mass amounts of dedicated time and years to be able to master, or even make look halfway decent at that. Where as dirt is just one jump at a time, then the next, etc instead of linked combinations. Rap also makes the point of size of tricks as well. It takes huge balls to do even regular tricks on huge stairsets, handrails, ledges, ramps, etc, just like it does for massive dirt jumps. Granted street guys aren't going the distances and height of say the jumps in this video or Giants Of Dirt for example, it's extremely difficult none the less. But by your logic Dave, you're basically saying that the jumps and tricks in these videos/contests are nothing more than mere regular tricks, which clearly isn't the case. You think Dane flipping 60+ ft gap at high speed didn't require a considerably higher amount of talent and commitment than your average rider doing it at the local trails over a 6-20+/- ft gap? Same way with everyone that rides Dreamline as well.

I do also agree with Maximus. All riders should practice all riding disciplines, and strive to be the best in everything, not just one. Just because you're going big at your local trails, doesn't mean you're any good at street/park, and vice versa. Which in turn means you're not a good all around rider unfortunatly. However this will take you years and years to accomplish, definately not gonna happen overnight like alot of people get into the sport thinking, then puss out and quit and blame whatever excuse they have rather than they just give up too easily. Me personally, I've been riding semi-seriously for about 15 years and feel like I've never really got any better. But I choose to ride every discipline so it takes alot longer than if I were to focus one at a time for a few years or so. On top of having to live an actual life outside of riding as well, and making money and surviving comes first unfortunatly when you're an adult.


Sorry if anyone disagrees with my views, just my $0.02. I'm also not bashing street riders, so don't take it that way. Trendy kids in any scene or riding discipline irritate the hell out of me equally. Lol

|

10/9/2014 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2014 5:22 PM

Update: Episode 2 released yesterday. I can't get the video to embed because it's not on YouTube yet, but the URL is there. Pretty massive tricks!

In other dirt news, Red Bull Dreamline '14 practice was yesterday. Check out the link for the story and pics:


http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331683531396/dreamline-2014-practice-photos


Other Red Bull news if no one's heard yet, they got sued for false advertisement because some dipshits thought it would literally give you wings, so now they're settling for $13 mil ($10 to each person), or $15 in free Red Bull merchandise to whoever gets ahold of them.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bought-red-bull-2002-10/story?id=26062551


|

10/9/2014 9:08 PM

Just watched the dreamline first look video on transworld , that course is ridiculously insane , can't wait to see the outcome of this contest probably the craziest of the year forsure

As for the street vs park arguement I tend to notice it's all the young kids still in highschool who are all psyched on street , allot of the older riders I know used to ride street then when they got jobs responsibilities and started worrying about pay checks they got more stoked on flowing shit like park and dirt because it wasn't worth it to them anymore to go get injured and miss work and lose out on paydays over jumping off drops and sets to flat when they could go flow high speed and have transition to flow into instead of drop onto flat

There are some diehard old street riders but not as many as others from what I notice around where I'm from

|

10/9/2014 9:29 PM

if you live anywhere other than a well developed city with a giant bmx scene (la, nyc) making things "spots" takes a damn lot of effort, not quite on the level of trails, but the same as maintaning a set of trails
stuff like hauling a 25 pound bag of quickcrete a couple miles to patch up a bank to make it a spot is work
using a brick rub to make a 25ft ledge smooth takes effort
dodging security takes time and effort
dodging cops takes time and effort
while dirt riders can ride pretty much anytime, street guys have to only ride at certain times to avoid tickets
both take a lot of committment to do well

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

10/11/2014 12:42 PM

Dreamline '14 prelims video:


http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331683950522/dreamline-2014-prelim-video


Trying to move the conversation away from the arguement as well. Just trying to enjoy some quality riding

|

10/11/2014 2:01 PM

-Havok- wrote:

He was drunk at a bar and tried to jump off their balcony into the pool and landed on his head. Shouldn't have made a stupid ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

It's because street is easier to get good at. Honestly, most of the tricks done are simple by themselves, and they are linked ...more

RapandBMX wrote:

this is literally the dumbest thing I've seen on this site. i am mainly a street rider but I enjoy all aspects of riding , ...more

It does take dedication to ride street, and I am not denying that in any way.

From my 15 years of riding everything but racing, street was among the easiest to get into and show improvement because it was you and your bike. You didn't need anything more than that. You could ride a curb and learn stuff to then take to a small ledge, and then a big ledge. Kids want faster results, so street is where they go. (Not bashing skills here). A feeble is easy to learn. A double peg is too. Same with a barspin. All relatively smaller tricks, right? Yea. So then you learn a hop bar. So you hop it up/down a curb. Then a ledge. Then you bring it to stairs. It all started with a small hop bar. All you do now is go faster and do it on a bigger obstacle. It's still a barspin. The variable is the location. Locations do not equal skill. The ONLY really difference is where you are. Sure it is bigger, and FEAR comes into play more. But it is still that barspin. Make sense? This is the logic I have been using to my riding lately, and it has helped me overcome some of my own fears of some things.

Think about it this way, if you can feeble a one foot ledge, what is stopping you from a 2 foot ledge? A 4 foot ledge? A 6 foot ledge? You have stated skill, but the ONLY real difference in the example is height. So in all reality it is not skill, it is confidence. (Sure run ups etc can come into play, but a feeble is a feeble.)

And by saying " plus you say street is easy to learn? the basics of linking up tricks manuals, nose manuals, etc. take countless hours of practice to master" which is clearly just as ignorant as you are claiming I am. This statement is putting street higher on a pedestal than trails when it comes to the "hours of practice to master" as though trails aren't hard, flatland isn't hard or park isn't hard compared to street.

My statement was purely based on street being the EASIEST TO START because it is you and a bike. You don't need to build things, you don't need to pay money, you don't need to spend hours in the woods with a shovel. You hop on and go ride whatever you find/feel like riding.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/11/2014 2:33 PM

How about not being a cunt and actually riding your bike on everything?

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

10/11/2014 2:52 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

How about not being a cunt and actually riding your bike on everything?

^This^...Ride everything!

You get out of bmx what you put into it, none of the styles are any easier to learn than any others, all styles have basic > intermediate > advanced stuff to learn! the basics of dirt & park are just as easy to learn as the basics of street riding IMO

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12


10/11/2014 4:57 PM

Trails are scary af until you learn how to ride loose with flow and confidence. Once you know you can hit jumps, the tricks come "relatively" quick as you have plenty of time in the air.

Trails are about having fun with your friends, not so much about who can do a double flip whip. It's sort of a group effort, something bigger than yourself. The only way a person can understand trails is if they put lots of time into a jump or what have you, and roast it. There is no better feeling than flying through the air on some smooth ass jumps that you and your friends busted your asses on. That is why it's my favorite thing to ride.

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

10/11/2014 11:04 PM

All I see now is Pumped BMX 2

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/12/2014 3:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2014 3:11 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I wanted to quote the whole thing but i cant because its huge.

Alright, this is an argument with 2 entirely different ...more

Extremely well said.

Everything in this thread, all good stuff. In the end it's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

I have nothing to add, you guys nailed the subject fairly quickly and quite eloquently.
.
.when you break it down to it's most basic form, it's all about how well you can move yourself. If you can do that efficiently, you can ride most anything.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

10/29/2014 1:48 PM

Haven't been on in a couple weeks, but here's another great Dreamline video for those who haven't seen it


|

10/29/2014 5:41 PM

Dreamline was freakin sweet! I loved watching it in person, I can't wait to go back and ride the top part soon. While we're on the topic of dirt, I'm looking at a new frame here soon and since I pretty much only ride trails do these specs look good? They're custom...I pulled the bb height out my ass so im not sure if that'll stay

Head Tube 74°
Rear End Length 13.9”
Seat Tube Angle 71°
BB Height 11.65
Stand over Height 9”

|

Smoke Drink Die

10/30/2014 9:37 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

How about not being a cunt and actually riding your bike on everything?

this. it used to be riding was riding. now everyones got their own schtick or whatever.

I mean, I hate dirt because I fucking suck at it, and theres not much small stuff by me, but would hit em every now and again for something to ride

I haven't rode in forever though.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "