Fork Decision

Related:
Create New Tag

3/31/2017 7:12 AM

okay so here's what I have come up with and you could probably say these are two totally different forks but hear me out, so I have been riding some stock forks that came on my subrosa and they're 32mm offset (the standard), now I want a steeper and lighter fork, since i work at a bike shop I can basically get most popular forks that are out there. Here is a little background, I ride street so I'm grinding lots (needs fat dropouts) and some park, no dirt what so ever so that's out of the equation. I've never had problems with my forks snapping meaning i don't land on them hard. so i was thinking about either the Odyssey r25's which are hanging up in my shop or the Animal Street forks in either 26mm or 15mm. I'm totally open for suggestions, I am hoping to get a fork that I wont be regretting, hopefully someone out there has the Animal Forks in 15mm and could tell me what they are like.
Thanks!

|

@Jewishlamb

3/31/2017 8:14 AM

15mm offset is a little extreme in my opinion

|

3/31/2017 8:17 AM

Can't go wrong with the Odysseys. Dropouts are shaped so you will only grind on the peg and never hit dropout. They're quite light but very tough. Then, on the off-chance you ever break them, there's the lifetime warranty...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/31/2017 9:11 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Can't go wrong with the Odysseys. Dropouts are shaped so you will only grind on the peg and never hit dropout. They're quite light but very tough. Then, on the off-chance you ever break them, there's the lifetime warranty...

This. I just got a pair of odyssey R25 forks for all those reasons. Also, they've got tons of clearance! I run 21 by 2.5" tires on my R25s and I know the vital member Coopers25 runs a 2.6" wide tire with his R25s.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/31/2017 10:17 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

This. I just got a pair of odyssey R25 forks for all those reasons. Also, they've got tons of clearance! I run 21 by 2.5" tires on my R25s and I know the vital member Coopers25 runs a 2.6" wide tire with his R25s.

He's not wrong

|

3/31/2017 12:45 PM

Go R25s, Odyssey makes solid stuff, I have a pair that I was still riding with a golfball sized dent in them and they never cracked. Animal literally just released those forks in September. I love Animal, but give it at least a year to let them work out the manufacturing kinks on forks (if there are any).

|

Straight Simpin'

3/31/2017 1:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2017 1:54 PM

you want fat dropouts? Do you know that odysseys are only 4mm? I've seen them bend. Some forks use up to 7mm. I'd look into those. Mine taper from like around 7-8 to 6. Not sure but they are fat, investment cast, and fully heat treated. BSD acid. After getting the forks, I want a frame now. BSD makes some solid shit.

|

3/31/2017 2:23 PM

get forks with 990 mounts :-P

|

fack off

3/31/2017 2:54 PM

Odyssey dropouts are small , my buddy has them and he's snapped hubguards and pegs before so he's kinda weary .

Personally WTP switch forks have been some of , if not the best forks I've ridden

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/31/2017 5:21 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

because youve never ridden 15mm lol

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

4/1/2017 2:38 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

JonnyGanja wrote:

I wouldn't buy forks with an offset I know I won't like. Going from a 32mm to 15mm is a pretty big difference. I was merely suggesting that the op might not like that much of a difference. He won't know until he tries, but it's a waste of money if he doesn't. I actually ride my bike so I know what I like.

Do you ever actually contribute to this forum?

|

4/1/2017 10:41 PM

I run the odyssey r25's and love them. I've interchanged parts several times but will probably always stick with these forks. The 25mm dropout is good for street, I wouldn't go with a 15mm dropout. I went with the odyssey because of a recommendation after bending my old wtp forks.

|

4/2/2017 1:32 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I wouldn't buy forks with an offset I know I won't like. Going from a 32mm to 15mm is a pretty big difference. I was merely suggesting that the op might not like that much of a difference. He won't know until he tries, but it's a waste of money if he doesn't. I actually ride my bike so I know what I like.

15mm is a steep fork , I went from 32mm to 23mm and it felt amazing .

If you have a 75 or even a 74.5 headtube angle a 15mm fork might be a good investment if you're into street stuff , but if you have a 75.5 HT angle with 15mm you're insane lol

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/2/2017 7:35 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

4/3/2017 6:03 AM

JonnyGanja wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

15mm is a steep fork , I went from 32mm to 23mm and it felt amazing .

If you have a 75 or even a 74.5 headtube angle a 15mm fork might be a good investment if you're into street stuff , but if you have a 75.5 HT angle with 15mm you're insane lol

The frame I'm getting hopefully is the Sunday street sweeper and I believe it has a 75.5 degree head tube angle but really what's the difference from 75 to 75.5

|

@Jewishlamb

4/3/2017 6:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2017 6:07 AM

ncarroll92 wrote:

I run the odyssey r25's and love them. I've interchanged parts several times but will probably always stick with these forks. The 25mm dropout is good for street, I wouldn't go with a 15mm dropout. I went with the odyssey because of a recommendation after bending my old wtp forks.

Honestly I'm kind of over the whole 15mm offset, that offset in forks isn't new, primo made a 15mm pair and I'm sure people were bugging out over those a couple years ago, there's probably a good reason why most guys aren't jumping on the 15mm band wagon, most likely too jittery when doing fakie tricks. I'm totally sold on the r25's

|

@Jewishlamb

4/3/2017 6:42 AM

75-75.5 is a pretty noticable difference. I'd get the 32s personally, but that's me.

|

4/3/2017 7:53 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

75-75.5 is a pretty noticable difference. I'd get the 32s personally, but that's me.

I didn't really notice it when I went from my complete frame to my Benny l frame and I was on 32mm forks. My bike felt twitchier fit the first couple of minutes then I got used to it. The 25s are sick

|

4/3/2017 8:47 AM

Went from regular pitchforks to 13 mm fast pitch forks , didn't really notice much of a difference

|