Fork offset and durability.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/26/2017 3:55 PM

I'm currently running Animal Barrett forks(35mm offset), I want to make the switch to a much shorter offset 10-15mm(or even 0mm) but I wondering how durable are these shorter offset forks?
I won't be jumping down the Lyon 25 or El Toro but could 0-15mm offset forks even withstand 3-5 foot drops?
I remember reading that shorter forks put stress on other parts of the bike if anyone could elaborate on this it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

|

6/26/2017 4:43 PM

I don't see how it could have any effect on strength. If anything, more offset seems slightly less strong (like it would put more stress on the dropouts).
|

6/26/2017 5:09 PM

If anything, being closer to the legs would technically make the fork less likely to break at the dropouts. IF anything it would put more stress on the headset bearings-the fork would be less likely to flex on impact-but honestly it would be small enough that you would probably be fine.

It will be VERY responsive compared to your current forks.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/26/2017 5:13 PM

I agree.

More offset means more leverage. There's a lot to consider, but take this simple scenario, OP: Take a force generated along the steering axis. A 0° offset will transmit the energy [basically] straight up through the fork. Any offset makes a lever out of the fork system. When stressed it will put force on the front of the headtube, which may end up breaking/cracking the HT there, or breaking/cracking at the DT-HT junction, or some combination thereof. Also, like cmc said, the more offset means more stress at the dropout welds. If you imagine a fork with ludicrously long offset dropouts, that will illustrate the lever effect.

|

6/26/2017 5:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2017 5:01 AM

I'd have to agree, that the less offset the stronger they would be.. I'm sure it doesn't matter much though. What makes you say they would be weaker? I don't get how they would. Maybe. Missing something? Everything points to stronger to me. Just think about it for a minute.

|

6/26/2017 6:15 PM

I ride 13 mm s&m fast pitch forks since they came out and they've been holding up awesome I've been putting a beating on them and they take the abuse great

|

6/26/2017 6:22 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

I'd have to agree, that the less offset the stronger they would be.. I'm sure it doesn't matter much though. What makes you say they would be weaker? I don't get how they would. Maybe. Missing something? Everything points to stronger to me. Just think about it for a minute.

I was thinking if you were to do a bigger drop with 35mm forks and 0-15mm forks, the 35mm would have less stress on the fork due to the impact/energy from the landing being more spread out. Whereas with a 0mm fork is taking direct impact from the landing, thus making it more prone to damage. I could be(and most likely am) completely wrong though.

|

6/26/2017 8:20 PM

No one runs 0 offset forks (except flatland riders) and I'd say 15 would be fine

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

6/26/2017 8:20 PM

And I agree with Dave, it'll hold up just as well if not better

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

6/26/2017 9:06 PM

I ride 23mm offset and it feels good . Couldn't tell the difference from a 30mm offset tho

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/26/2017 10:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2017 10:31 PM

I definitely agree with said above.

To add to the conversation, don't even consider 0mm offset forks. Even the Odyssey Director fork isn't TRULY a 0mm offset as the fork legs bend forwards to lessen the aggression. I've ridden them once, but as Dan said, they're typically reserved for flat riders, which was also the kind of bike that I tried them on. They're twitchy as, the scary kind of twitchy when you land at the wrong angle and barely grip with the sidewall of your tire to safety, leaving you jarred for the next few seconds. I know Aaron Ross and Mike Spinner ran them at one point, but I suggest you stay away from a 0mm.

There's a line to draw between personal preference and danger. 0mm offset for street/park (I assume that's your style) is a bad idea. I'd say between 15mm or 25mm forks are sweet.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/26/2017 11:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2017 11:16 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I ride 23mm offset and it feels good . Couldn't tell the difference from a 30mm offset tho

7mm is huge when it comes to forks, suprising you didn't feel it any different.
I noticed a difference when switching from 32 to 30, then from 30 to 28.
We get used to the twichier handling really fast, and all kind of nose stuffs are easier, the balance point changes alot when doing hang 5´s (and probably nose manuals too but I can't do them)

I want to buy a short offset fork soon, 22 sounds good for street riding, I'll keep my other set of 28 forks too for when going to ride a bowl or dirt jumps.
The reason why is I were used to ride my bar a bit forward, but now I like it more inline with the fork but all the noses stuffs takes way more effort now so... shorter fork soon.

To answer the topic, going from 35 to 15 is more than huge, if you want some twitchyness when still keeping it all around, go for a fork around 25mm, 22 eventually. Guaranteed you'll feel it.

About strenght everything has been said, yes it will handle drops, like any orher forks but to do some fast gaps, a longer offset will feel better, you'll feel more stable, and so, confident.
The offset is the reason why your bike keep going straight if you take your hands off. (a 90° head tube angle with a 0 offset would send you to the ground face first at the second you take your hands off).

|

6/27/2017 12:21 AM

15mm is fine i run the deco fuforks v2 in 15mm i like em

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

6/27/2017 5:05 AM

0 offset would put a lot less stress on the head tube, because of the angles, and stuff. That's probably not what you want though, that's very extreme.

|

6/27/2017 6:51 AM

Fuck it run 0. Learn flat....lol

|

It’s all bmx