Forks

Related:
Create New Tag

2/3/2018 8:43 PM

Can you install newer forks on an old school frame? Is there a size difference?

|

2/3/2018 9:09 PM

Im pretty sure you can. I did. smile

|

2/3/2018 9:24 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Im pretty sure you can. I did. smile

I believe he means a frame designed for a 1" headset, not 1-1/8". Wouldn't work unless the frame takes external cups and even then I'm sure there's other problems you could run into.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/3/2018 9:33 PM

how old are we talking?

if the headtube is 1-1/8" then most likely, if it's 1" then no (barring some race forks, but if you're planning on riding street, no)

even then you might run into issues with the headset not fitting, and if it still has a quill stem then you'll need a new one of those... among other things.

|

2/3/2018 10:08 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

how old are we talking?

if the headtube is 1-1/8" then most likely, if it's 1" then no (barring some race forks, but if ...more

well heres the frame i just got

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redline-Proline-CLNY-Colony-Aluminum-BMX-Bike-Frame-Dans-Comp/162837416936?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

|

2/3/2018 10:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2018 10:19 PM

Yea your not going to be able to do anything with that bike except race, its aluminum so its very light and not meant for any sort of park or trail abuse other than racing. You're into parts like box and pro max and such. Btw that's a redline, and it gas nothing to do with colony bikes other than the stickers. That's a race frame with very different setups than what we use. That frame seems a little beat up.

|

2/3/2018 11:48 PM

From what ive found this may have been built in 2010

|

2/4/2018 1:41 AM

Williev wrote:

From what ive found this may have been built in 2010

Yeah looks like 2010 to me.

|

2/4/2018 1:49 AM

Most new forks have a built-in crown race. So you'll need to make sure the headset you get will work with that race. Anything sealed and you should get away with it. Or you can get cups that take an integrated headset, and it'll work fine.

That frame also has a euro bb. They're a bit of a ball ache. But if you could look into external cups. Fly used to make a euro to spanish external cup, and I'm sure they weren't the only one's.

And the frame is missing the brake lugs. Any bike shop should be able to get them for you. Just bear in mind it's a v brake mount. And modern removable mounts won't fit

|

2/4/2018 2:11 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Yea your not going to be able to do anything with that bike except race, its aluminum so its very light and not meant for any ...more

I used my redlines a lot for trails and doing flowy lines at the parks, was also nice for riding around with the family etc.

Biggest deals other than not using it for grinding etc was that the wheels/tire size would kill your body on anything landing flat. I always sprained my wrist doing stupid drops, riding out with the family on bike paths etc and seeing a spot, forgetting or caring what bike I'm on.

Another deal is the pedal to ground clearance on a race bike. They are meant to turn in burms, not on flat ground. So pedaling taking a corner or having a crank down on the inside turn can pole-vault yah.

|