Forks are rusting and I'm getting paranoid

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2017 3:23 PM

Should I get new forks? These are rusting and I'm starting to get a little paranoid. I got them used, and I don't know how old they are or how long they've been rusting.

And yes, it may be surface rust in the steerer tube blah blah blah, but it's around the dropouts that I'm concerned about. These are Fit Blade 2 forks. I've also been wanting to drop down in offset length (from 33mm to 25mm) so that would be another bonus of buying new forks.






|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/26/2017 3:53 PM

If you want new forks anyway, go for it. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm contemplating new cranks soon for the exact same reason. I haven't got a clue how old my cranks are, and they're raw with rust spots all over the place. I'd rather buy a new pair when I can and know they're new than end up hurting myself if they snap, and not be able to ride until I can afford new ones

|

3/26/2017 4:35 PM

That looks like a combination of surface rust and dirt, I personally wouldn't worry about it, but i suppose it depends on how hard you are stressing them as well, if you retire them and keep them for spares then you could get some rust treatment into them and then a can of red oxide on a straw and spray it into the forks to prevent them getting worse while they sit in storage.

|

3/26/2017 5:01 PM

Definitely ruined. Bin that thing and get a new one!

|

3/26/2017 5:27 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

If you want new forks anyway, go for it. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm contemplating new cranks soon for the exact same reason. I haven't got a clue how old my cranks are, and they're raw with rust spots all over the place. I'd rather buy a new pair when I can and know they're new than end up hurting myself if they snap, and not be able to ride until I can afford new ones

Yup, that's how I feel. I'd rather spend a little extra and save myself from face planting in the near future, instead of face planting and then having to buy new forks anyway.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/27/2017 12:08 AM

My frame and probably all other parts of my bike at like that , fuck it and ride it .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/27/2017 12:08 AM



Definitely get a new one when you can. My buddy's snapped where yours likely could. Funny, this dude shreds the hardest, spins the most, and gaps the highest. This, however, happened on a smith stall on a 3-foot quarter. Luck is an amazing thing.
|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

3/27/2017 1:33 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Definitely get a new one when you can. My buddy's snapped where yours likely could. Funny, this dude shreds the hardest, spins the most, and gaps the highest. This, however, happened on a smith stall on a 3-foot quarter. Luck is an amazing thing.

So was rust the reason for the snap? Has anyone here had any parts snap/break because of rust?

|

3/27/2017 11:52 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Definitely get a new one when you can. My buddy's snapped where yours likely could. Funny, this dude shreds the hardest, spins the most, and gaps the highest. This, however, happened on a smith stall on a 3-foot quarter. Luck is an amazing thing.

Thats more likely to be metal fatigue than corrosion, especially if he rides as hard as you say

|

3/27/2017 12:00 PM

#notfornothing #bmx #nyc

A post shared by @jets9998_shoots on


|

3/27/2017 12:35 PM

jets9998 wrote:

#notfornothing #bmx #nyc

A post shared by @jets9998_shoots on


Hmm...why this thread?

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/27/2017 12:51 PM

my bike is MADE RUSTY and I don't cair

|

3/27/2017 1:04 PM

Pretty sure it wasn't actually made rusty. Don't get me wrong, I love raw parts, and a bit of visible surface rust. But once things start to rust on the inside you have no clue how much damage it's done.

Regardless of what everyone else has said, if you want new forks, get some. Forks are one of those things you really don't want failing on you.

|

3/27/2017 2:03 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Pretty sure it wasn't actually made rusty. Don't get me wrong, I love raw parts, and a bit of visible surface rust. But once things start to rust on the inside you have no clue how much damage it's done.

Regardless of what everyone else has said, if you want new forks, get some. Forks are one of those things you really don't want failing on you.

Ok, thank you Steve. Ill call my local shop and see if they have any R25's in store. They're sold out online everywhere.

And I can agree 100% that forks are the one part I wouldn't want to fail on me.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/28/2017 4:48 PM

Odyssey R25s! Just got them an hour ago



|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/28/2017 4:54 PM

Sweeeeet!

Just a follow-up on my earlier post, we believe it was rust that was the issue as it was heavily corroded on the inside and outside of the steerer tube near the welds, and nowhere else was rusted on the fork. The forks were around three years old and spent a few months off a bike.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

3/29/2017 12:17 PM

Looking dope dude

|

3/29/2017 12:55 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

Looking dope dude

Thank you man

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/29/2017 12:56 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Sweeeeet!

Just a follow-up on my earlier post, we believe it was rust that was the issue as it was heavily corroded on the inside and outside of the steerer tube near the welds, and nowhere else was rusted on the fork. The forks were around three years old and spent a few months off a bike.

Cool, I just found out my old forks (the rusty ones) were fit blade ones so they're definitely a bit older.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/29/2017 12:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/29/2017 1:00 PM

Seattle BMX hooked me up with some Cult Dehart Slicks in 2.4 for free! Shoutout to them for coming through. Anyways, now with the new forks I can run tires that are over 2.3 wide! The cult deharts inflate to 2.5 wide and 21" tall. Absolutely massive!

(Sawdust on the tire)

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales