Forks top cap is stuck

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2020 2:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2020 2:42 PM

Kinda sucks. I have brand new build and i greased everything but was dumb enough to put way to much press when locking it down.. now my allen key ruined itself and the caps thread. I have no fucking idea what to do.. i have my older salt ex fork but still i dont know even if its going to match and how am i going to pull it off now and if i did succed pulling it off do you guys think its possible to cnc the allen key slot into a bigger diameter like 8 allen or even socket size ?Photoff now ?

|

7/31/2020 3:15 PM

holy cow... that piece needs so little tightening...

few options..

glue your wrench into the hole. epoxy or something would work..

drill two holes in the top cap and put two nails or something in the holes. Then you a wrench to hold onto the two nails and turn the top cap..

use something like vice grips to grasp onto the outside edge of the top cap..

|

7/31/2020 3:24 PM

Did you loosen up the two pinch bolts on the stem first?

Drill two holes big enough, and stick a pair of needle nose pliers in the holes..

And what ever you do, don't run 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

|

7/31/2020 4:53 PM

You didn’t also try to mix some wacky measurements with your top cap like you did with your stem and bars, did you? It won’t work. How long you going to avoid us?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/1/2020 2:56 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Drill two holes big enough, and stick a pair of needle nose pliers in the holes..

No guys im running 22.2 bars on 22.2 stem
Stop worrying..

I should had loosen side bolts first ? God im so stupid omg...

I ruined my only top caps now i dont even have a bmx bike shop near me...
Thats so fucking anoying damm

|

8/1/2020 3:42 AM

Use a hammer

|

8/1/2020 6:45 AM

Loosen the side bolts of your stem then start turning it counter clockwise

|

fack off

8/1/2020 6:51 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

At first i didnt loosen those side bolts and peobably thats why it didnt open.. anyways now the allen key alot is messed up and more of rounded..

|

8/1/2020 7:13 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Shaked wrote:

At first i didnt loosen those side bolts and peobably thats why it didnt open.. anyways now the allen key alot is messed up and more of rounded..

Take it to your local bike shop and let a professional set your bike up from now on

|

fack off

8/2/2020 11:45 AM

we need an update.

you get this thing out?

you should not have to loosen the side bolts as the top cap should not be being pinched by the stem..

but given how fucked that cap is.. i'd loosen all bolts and nuts.

|

8/2/2020 11:49 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

This^

|

8/3/2020 12:33 AM

pnj wrote:

we need an update.

you get this thing out?

you should not have to loosen the side bolts as the top cap should not be being pinched by the stem..

Well i just ordered a new cap (cult maintain)
Hopefully when it arrives ill make sure it cab properly sit on my stem and fork, im gonna try and drill holes to remove this one.. for now i still ride as long as it is tight !
The cult one has socket slot upon the allen one so ill never get this thing again wink

|

8/3/2020 2:18 AM

Shaked wrote:

Hopefully when it arrives ill make sure it cab properly sit on my stem and fork, im gonna try and drill holes to remove this one.. for now i still ride as long as it is tight !
The cult one has socket slot upon the allen one so ill never get this thing again wink

If you tightened it properly you wouldn't get that again.
Make sure you aren't overt-tightening that thing, especially with the socket interface. Just barely snug.

|

8/3/2020 2:32 AM

pnj wrote:

we need an update.

you get this thing out?

Shaked wrote:

HtownGetDown wrote:

If you tightened it properly you wouldn't get that again.
Make sure you aren't overt-tightening that thing, especially with the socket interface. Just barely snug.

Indeed sir ! Learning on your flesh is the best.. this mistake will hurt for years, i learned my lesson.. also lossen side bolts haha like how dumn i was omg..

|

8/3/2020 2:35 AM

Shaked wrote:

Indeed sir ! Learning on your flesh is the best.. this mistake will hurt for years, i learned my lesson.. also lossen side bolts haha like how dumn i was omg..

Mistakes that cost money are good lessons though, you usually don't make them twice

|