Found a used Haro is it worth?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/6/2018 1:44 AM

othePhoto

Has no other description and the owner doesn't know anything else about it. I hear Haro bikes are really nice, and this one is chrome which gives me an idea that its good quality but I don't know for sure.

I talked him down to $50

|

1/6/2018 1:49 AM

Photo

APhoto

Photo

And talked this guy down to $80

2011 haro bike that retailed for $260 he says

|

1/6/2018 3:33 AM

Neither of them are very good quality, but out of the 2, get the black one. It's newer and pobably lighter, looks like it's in pretty good condition too. Just remember that you're only going to get your $80 worth out of it.

If you're looking for a bike to last and put a beating on, the Mongoose L100 is only $200ish and comes with everything a good bike needs. Most other bikes of this quality are $500+!

Also READ THIS BEFORE PURCHASING A BIKE.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/6/2018 5:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2018 5:30 AM

I'd say those are average to slightly above average prices. You get what you pay for. They are both low end. The top one is probably 20 years old too, but it might hold up better if it's full chromoly. It does look very tiny compared to the black one though.

|

1/6/2018 9:13 AM

I want the mongoose legion l100 but I can only find it for $280 at its lowest. Where is it $200 at?

|

1/6/2018 10:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2018 10:10 AM

Brendan44 wrote:

I want the mongoose legion l100 but I can only find it for $280 at its lowest. Where is it $200 at?

You missed out on the lower prices for the holiday season. The prices go up and down on amazon. Even at 280+ its a better deal than the majority of completes out there.

|

1/6/2018 11:17 AM

Go for the legion L100 , that’s a 1000 dollar bike in Canada

|

1/6/2018 11:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2018 11:34 AM

Brendan44 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

You missed out on the lower prices for the holiday season. The prices go up and down on amazon. Even at 280+ its a better deal ...more

Will the price be going down possibly anytime soon? I'm not sure but I remember them selling at a stable $250 price, but maybe those were 2017 ones. Also amazon seems to be the cheapest place I can find them.

|

1/6/2018 12:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2018 12:43 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

You missed out on the lower prices for the holiday season. The prices go up and down on amazon. Even at 280+ its a better deal ...more

Brendan44 wrote:

Will the price be going down possibly anytime soon? I'm not sure but I remember them selling at a stable $250 price, but maybe ...more

They were. The 2018 is definitely a huge improvement over last years. The cranks and front wheel being female allowing for a front peg is a big deal. The removable brake hardware is pretty cool too if you like the brakeless deal.

I got my 2017 for 200 and my 2018 for 170 shipped.

Look for open box deals in the "used" pricing.

|

1/6/2018 12:51 PM

I shouldn't be hindered at all by the 21TT? I'm 5'6'' - 5'7'' and I'd probably grow an extra inch as my final height don't know.

But I'm sure a topload stem would help if it would feel a bit too big. After all I do hear the TT is mostly preference for either more stability or quicker movements.

|

1/6/2018 1:07 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

I shouldn't be hindered at all by the 21TT? I'm 5'6'' - 5'7'' and I'd probably grow an extra inch as my final height don't ...more

I saw a short skinny 10 year old kid fucking ripping on a huge ass 21" bmx. It does matter, but you can get used to anything and master it.

|

1/6/2018 1:23 PM

I just bought a used one like new for $190 coming Monday.

|

1/6/2018 1:26 PM

I'm not familiar with wheels, but the old one you couldn't put pegs on them? But the new one you can?

|

1/6/2018 1:31 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

I'm not familiar with wheels, but the old one you couldn't put pegs on them? But the new one you can?

The old one had an axle that was flush to the front wheel hardware. The old axle wasnt long enough. The new 2018 female axle can because its a bolt that screws into the hub. Nice find! 190 is a great deal!

|

1/6/2018 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2018 2:01 PM

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely ready for grinds since I got the bunny hop down, and the other basic ticks such as manuals, 180, and fakie.

Already got the bike quite cheap, which pegs would you recommend I'd only need 2 for now.

Also got a dirt jump park, I can see myself working my way up to the bigger jumps in the future. Would this bike be fine for that? Also I really want to get into vert later on.

|

1/6/2018 2:27 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely ready for grinds since I got the bunny hop down, and the other basic ticks such as ...more

Odyssey mpegs are super cheap and solid! Come in a pair for like 15 bucks.

|

1/6/2018 10:28 PM

I saw your videos on the reviews. I have a question, do I have to re-grease everything including the hub, and which cheap grease would you recommend?

I have experience on putting a bike together and a little bit on how wheel building works, but when it comes to servicing the bike I don't know which grease to use since there are so many types and how important it is. Also I noticed that you said the axles on each wheels are different. So I can only run pegs on one wheel?

|

1/6/2018 10:42 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

I saw your videos on the reviews. I have a question, do I have to re-grease everything including the hub, and which cheap ...more

You can run pegs both front and rear. You will need a 14mm opening for the rear and a 10mm for the front. The mpegs I suggested come pre-drilled at 14mm and two 10mm adapters come with the kit. I was speaking about the socket or wrench size you will need for wheel removal. 18mm in the rear and 17mm in the front. You could easily buy a replacement 17mm rear nut for the 14mm rear axle and only have to carry one socket or wrench size.

As for grease, you wont have to regrease yours most likely. My 2018 had enough in the right places. Unless you are planning on riding in the snow with salt down, in that case pretty much any water sealing grease will work.

The hub will not need re-greasing. Imo it had a nice amount to keep things smooth. If for any reason you would like to make it louder you can clean the stock grease out and replace it with a light oil. I have been running my hubs dry as of recent. Not recommending you do the same but its an option.

|

1/7/2018 12:25 PM

Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it.

|

1/8/2018 2:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/8/2018 2:46 PM

I just got the bike today, everything looks fine, but there is one particular spoke on the front wheel that looks curved/bent slightly.

And the other thing is the bearing in the front hub feels rough, when I spin it freely I can hear sounds. Maybe the bolts holding onto the bearing are too tight?

Some other thing, When I tried taking off the stem, 2 bolts were really stuck in and were already sticking out. I feel like they are going to strip just trying to get them in halfway.

|

1/8/2018 3:24 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

I just got the bike today, everything looks fine, but there is one particular spoke on the front wheel that looks curved/bent ...more

Which one did you get? I know the 100- 500 series Haro's very well if you need any help. Use grease on the stem bolts. Actually you should use grease on all bike bolts. I would not be overly concerned with one bent spoke unless its loose. You could always replace it. Just dont try bending it back. That will actually hurt it. The more the spoke gets tweaked, the weaker it becomes. Those wheels should be 36h so you should be fine. As far as the bearings in the wheel, yup, that's one of the corners cut on the entry level Haro's, or any bike really. The wheels bearings are unsealed. Although strong enough, they can collect dirt. I would clean it and regrease it. If you dont know what your doing, don't try it. There are a million tiny bearings in there and they are a pain.

|

1/8/2018 3:48 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

I just got the bike today, everything looks fine, but there is one particular spoke on the front wheel that looks curved/bent ...more

Stixxs wrote:

Which one did you get? I know the 100- 500 series Haro's very well if you need any help. Use grease on the stem bolts. ...more

If you have anti sieze use that on threads instead of grease

|

Hmmm

1/8/2018 5:18 PM

I got the mongoose legion l100. since it was selling for $190 shipped.

I fixed the bearing issue, it was on really tight and needed two people. The major problem now is the stem again, I cleaned the threads, and inside where the bolts go. I used wd-40 and 1 particular bolt is just too damaged it goes in crooked and the threads inside there are too. When I got the bike the bolt was already sticking out, and I only used finger strength to loosen all the bolts.

I'm thinking whether I should contact pacific cycles and get a free replacement if that is possible, or buy a better stem. I'm already happy that I got the bike for $190, is it worth just getting a new stem with bolts?

|

1/8/2018 5:20 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

I fixed the bearing issue, it was on really tight and ...more

If you do decide on a new stem, check the for sale section. You might get a deal

|

1/8/2018 7:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/8/2018 7:06 PM

Brendan44 wrote:

I fixed the bearing issue, it was on really tight and ...more

Ya man, get a decent stem. The stem, as I mentioned in the videos is of questionable quality. Youll be better off with almost any aftermarket stem. Definitely go top load though if you plan on sticking with the factory bars.

A new stem will go a long way.
Make sure and pick up a spoke wrench that fits your nipples too. Look up a bunch of youtube vids on how to tighten your spokes. The wheels are pretty decent but the spokes are not tight enough from the factory imo.

|

1/9/2018 9:20 AM

I'll look around for used stems, but when it comes to new I have the sunday freeze stem in mind. I hear those are good. The knurling on the bars shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as I check if the clamps are tight after a couple sessions? On my old bike the bolts would get loose after awhile.

|

1/9/2018 9:41 AM

Brendan44 wrote:

I'll look around for used stems, but when it comes to new I have the sunday freeze stem in mind. I hear those are good. The ...more

Ive heard nothing but good things about the freeze stem. Cheap too if I recall

I check my bolts after every few days of riding usually the bolts havent backed out very much if at all.

|

1/9/2018 9:43 AM

Brendan44 wrote:

I'll look around for used stems, but when it comes to new I have the sunday freeze stem in mind. I hear those are good. The ...more

Yeah the Sunday freeze will be good, tighten the clamp in a cross pattern so that it is evenly clamped. That will make it clamp stronger and also less prone to cracking due to overtightening.

|

Hmmm

1/9/2018 12:37 PM

As long as this doesn't happen to my stem while riding

There is a A frame sorta like that at my park, and what I do is similar
|

1/9/2018 12:49 PM

If you can, buy a CNC or Forged stem.

The Sunday is Cast aluminum so it's on the weak side. You could certainly find a better stem for a few dollars more. I've seen a handful crack, but it would probably hold up for a beginner.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx