Fragile fingers

Related:
Create New Tag

8/14/2020 2:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2020 2:16 PM

So ive been riding few years now and i think most common thing that stops my progression is having weak fingers, ive broken around 7 fingers, each time takes about month or two to heal and once you broken one they never heal 100% and 'snaps' easy and pretty often wich sucks because it can take also alot of time to heal. It usually happens from barspins, t-bogs but also from stupid things, here that dummie story - one time i rode my freinds freecoaster and was surprised by the slack when trying to pedal forward while turning, my hand didnt fully wrapped the grip and all weight came down on my thumb, i couldnt ride a week just for that.

Im so helpless about that and would like to hear if you guys deal with same issue and have some tips for it, especially about the healing procces, maybe technology that can help in the healing process, some exercises to strengthen fingers to prevent it or even equipment i can buy online that medic services place uses for broken fingers (like now i snapped my finger today but its not severe enough to go to the medic center and have a fixation, so i just let it heal by time but im sure i can heal it better with some knowledge and proper equipment)
Really any tip and advice will be appreciated.

Thank you and god bless you with fully crmo 4130 post welded heat treated fingers hopefully ! Haha smile

|

8/14/2020 8:28 PM

Drink milk.

|

8/14/2020 8:30 PM

And eat beans.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/14/2020 8:56 PM

Take your hands off before you land

|

8/15/2020 4:41 AM

Drink water, stay in school, don’t do drugs

|

8/15/2020 7:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2020 7:49 AM

How old are you?

It may possibly be there is a bigger health issue. Like brittle bone or something. It seems like maybe a bit excessive. Either that or your are just riding super hard. But yeah, maybe us americans eat a lot more dairy for bone health. I don't do much dairy any longer cuz cheese stops me up pretty good. But when growing up we used to drink milk like water. And eat cheese on top of that. We are called the "dairy state" and there are a lot of dairy farms in wisconsin. I had a cousin that ran a farm when he was younger.

Lots of weird stuff happens on a farm. Like when the calves were young you could give em your thumb and they'd suck on it. I know sounds kind of gross in more ways than one but when you're young it's kind of funny and interesting. And yes we'd only give them thumbs, nothing else. LOL Well other than their milk bottles.

Anyways... I digress. Memories.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/17/2020 4:55 PM

Have you tried strengthening your forearms? Its possible you are relying on your skeletal system rather than muscular. Maybe grab some exercise balls or some rock climbing hand exercisers with the individual finger resistance.

|

8/17/2020 7:27 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Have you tried strengthening your forearms? Its possible you are relying on your skeletal system rather than muscular. Maybe grab some exercise balls or some rock climbing hand exercisers with the individual finger resistance.

You just reminded me of something I teach people when they’re new to riding. I assume you already know but in case you don’t, make sure your elbows are flexing up and out when you pull up, not down towards your hips, that way you use more back and less bi/forearm. With that, your hand placement is what causes your elbows to go back, so if you’re holding the bars like you’re gripping a pull up bar or something where the bar goes straight across your fingers evenly, you’re going to drop your elbows down by your hips which is bad. Less bike control. Hold it like you’re holding a tennis racket or a remote control, where the grip goes across your palm from the base of your index finger down to the center of your palm. It gets your elbows up in the attack position so you use your muscles significantly more effectively for stamina and strength, also pulls on your fingers in a different way which hopefully can help if you don’t do it already. Here’s a pic of what I mean with the bars. Hope this helps somebody out there.
Across your palm like this is good:
Photo

And gripping it like an ape holding a stick is bad:
Photo

|

8/17/2020 7:30 PM

Also that shit I just posted is what happens when you see a 13 year old on some perfect 10 bars that are 31 wide. Their grips are so wide their hands pivot back to straight instead of how they should be, so they drop their elbows low, their pull ups for manny’s and hops are all bicep with their elbows down, it’s such an inefficient use of the muscles. I stay 27-28 wide even with my long ass arms so I stay in the right spot

|

8/18/2020 3:18 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Bulletpup thanks for the exercise idea, I tougth about this but im afraid to invest time on this and eventually not solving the problem because i think i found the problem, in my doctor opinion this problem is caused because im skinny and have no fat at all in my hands wich makes sense alot because my fingers get hurt usally from direct impact on places my bones are sticking out more
So i might try strength exercises but i guess it wont help alot.. i dont know but i have to try somethin perhaps..

|

8/18/2020 3:20 AM

jboozer4 wrote:

Also that shit I just posted is what happens when you see a 13 year old on some perfect 10 bars that are 31 wide. Their grips are so wide their hands pivot back to straight instead of how they should be, so they drop their elbows low, their pull ups for manny’s and hops are all bicep with their elbows down, it’s such an inefficient use of the muscles. I stay 27-28 wide even with my long ass arms so I stay in the right spot

I dont know man.. i think i ride enough years to figure out how to hold my bars correctly, probably not the problem but indeed maybe reducing the bar's width might help it out so ill take this one..

|

8/18/2020 7:48 AM

yeah my bars are are at like 27.5". I don't like em wide. I gotta check out how I'm gripping now but I think I do alright. But I'm gonna check out how they are when I try to manual.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/18/2020 9:47 AM

My bars are 26" and I thought that was on the smaller side of things, but I was just reading a flatland forum and it seems 24" is the norm..

|

8/19/2020 6:41 AM

That would make sense. Trying to get back on the bike after being on the front pegs is like... . how do I get around the bars? LOL. Like I said in another thread I see people tip their bike as they are working back to the pedals but.... wow. That's not an easy thing to do.

|

8/20/2020 12:18 AM

jboozer4 wrote:

You mean 25.5*

|

smile

8/20/2020 4:44 AM

jboozer4 wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

You mean 25.5*

Lolwut

|