Frame Bag

Related:
Create New Tag

10/15/2020 5:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2020 5:20 AM

Why are these so bashed on lol.. also why does no one have them!? They are so useful! I don't have to carry an annoying backpack around that keeps bouncing every minute and I can easily access items on the go as I just have to unzip the pack under my frame rather than breaking my spine.. taking off the backpack.. hoping I don't crash ghost riding while I unzip the backpack. ALSO IT WORKS AS A SHOULDER PACK!!! I CAN JUST POP IT OFF AND KEEP ITEMS SAFE NO PROBLEM. (mainly talking about Odyssey Switch Pack, I'm pretty sure it's the only one that switches into dif carries i think?)

|

Иди сюда и поцелуй меня

10/15/2020 5:37 AM

what about the poofy thing on the handlebars? i see them coming back

|

10/15/2020 6:45 AM

Do you wear crocs when you ride your bike? And problem gym shorts with Knee high white socks.
Yep - go ahead and get you one of those.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/15/2020 7:54 AM

They're ugly. I haven't seen bikes look worse than the frame bag, handlebar/stem/toptube pad, and a million stickers. Usually accompanied by massive 4 piece bars and a flagpole seat post.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/15/2020 7:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2020 7:56 AM

Over the years, because of my occupation, I have had the pleasure (if you can call it that) of searching the backpacks of many folks commonly known as “tweakers”. Aside from the obvious teener, 8 ball, or zip, I’ve found that most of their packs are loaded down with an assortment of flash drives, odd assorted hand tools, empty cigarette packs, lighters, pocket knives, broken electronic devices, outdated cell phones, soiled clothing, condoms, and loose change.

This raises the question... Why even carry a pack in the first place? I mean, what are you putting in there that you wouldn’t be better served by just leaving it at home, or putting it in your pockets?

I carry a wallet (in my pocket), a cell phone (in my pocket), a knife (in my pocket), a small flashlight (in my pocket), keys (in my pocket), a pistol (in a holster), and a spare magazine for my pistol (in a magazine carrier on my belt). Everything else can stay at home, or in the car.

I realize we are all different, but I am just trying to understand what you might feel the need to carry that would require it’s own luggage just to go for a bike ride.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/15/2020 8:15 AM

I have done the searches as part of my 19 years as a cop. As for the pistol, I carry one everywhere. I spent a handful of years on a drug task force that covered several counties and a big part of my job was befriending dopers and buying dope to help establish probable cause for search warrants. I still live in the area where I did the job so I go nowhere unarmed.

|

10/15/2020 8:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2020 9:05 AM

I was. Among several other assignments over the years. I spent most of my career handling general investigations, but was also part of the Kansas City METRO Squad (major case squad that handles high profile cases, mostly homicide investigations throughout the KC metro area). I also spent time assigned to a proactive patrol unit that focused on drug interdiction/fugitive apprehension, I was a crisis negotiator, I helped train new officers, and had been a patrol Sergeant (supervisor) in addition to years spent as a rank and file uniformed patrol cop.

All in all, I had a decent run at it, but my health eventually forced me out back in June.

***EDITED TO ADD... Before anyone asks, I am not here to tell on you if you like to blaze the herb. LOL. I no longer have a badge, don’t want one back, and don’t care what anybody does in the privacy of their own home.***

|

10/15/2020 9:13 AM

This dude really just went ahead and posted all this on a bmx forum

|

10/15/2020 9:23 AM

Any reason not to? I mean, the guy asked. And, as I said before... I live in the community where I worked so it’s not as if I’m in witness protection or something. Even when I was doing the job, unless someone was running carloads of dope, I wasn’t likely to be a bother to them anyway. So, what would be the issue?

|

10/15/2020 9:36 AM

I run brakes, they are seatstay. No frame bag for me. Not gonna run a bar bag either. I get it, carry a few needs with you riding.

I carry keys, a knife, wallet and my phone in my pocket normally. When riding, add a 6 MM and occasionally a little tripod to hold my phone for filming. If I am out for a day, I have a camelback style bag and just use it without the water reservoir. It's a smaller bag, and with the hip and chest clips PLUS shoulder straps, I can ensure it is on well and doesn't flop around. Even then, it is my DK Random Wrench, Allens for the bolts on the bike (varies based on my brake setup) and that's really it. MIGHT have a spare tube and small pump, but usually I don't. Also a beverage after a stop. That's also if I am not just riding a park-if at a park, just the allen added to my pocket and everything else in the car.

Totally different game on my road or MTB setups. I have a seat bag on each, with spare tube(s), tire levers, a multi tool, patches, and a frame mounted pump for my road setup. I have CO2 pump for the MTB and a couple canisters.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/15/2020 10:40 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I run brakes, they are seatstay. No frame bag for me. Not gonna run a bar bag either. I get it, carry a few needs with you ...more

This explains quite a bit and offers a different perspective. I could see having tools necessary for working on your bike, and such if you are riding distance, or out on trails. For me, a long ride still keeps me within a couple miles from home, so I just don’t need the extra weight.

|

10/15/2020 11:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2020 11:33 AM

Not gonna front like I particularly like tweakers at all, but outing yourself as a narc generally will leave a bitter taste in anyone who opposed the War on Drugz. Anyway, frame bags are cool and I wish I had one cuz riding with a backpack sucks.

|

10/15/2020 11:41 AM

i hold my phone, keys, pump, socket, chain tool, and a bunch of spare headset bits and allen keys in my backpack. i've never seen the space of those bags but i doubt they'd fit all of what i want. also when i buy drinks from the shops whilst riding i doubt there'd be space for it especially if the bag is full of tools. i see and understand frame bags, but they're too impractical for me.

|

10/15/2020 11:47 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Not gonna front like I particularly like tweakers at all, but outing yourself as a narc generally will leave a bitter taste in ...more

I get that, and respect it. I will however say in my own defense, that I was never a fan of “the war on drugs” so much as I was a fan of the war on poverty. I was a high school dropout, with no real skills/ability to earn a living, and a childhood that would have led most to believe that I would end up in prison.

As such, I found the idea of law enforcement interesting, and once in it, I did quite well for myself in order to raise some great kids and provide a comfortable life for my family. I never messed with anyone over simple possession, and weed was NEVER on my radar. I had lost my cousin to methamphetamine, and went out of my way to do everything in my power to get that crap out of my community.

Working undercover came natural to me because the kinda of folks I worked around during that time, were no different that those I had hung out with growing up. To this day, many of the people I have sent to prison over the years are still chill enough with me to walk up and conversation with me in my local Wal-Mart. One is now a pastor, and some others are still in the game.

Regardless, I had a job to do, and all but a very few respect the fact that I was doing what I could to try and help all of them get away from the dope.

As for the traffickers... They are the reason why I carry a pistol, and sleep with an AK leaned against the nightstand. They don’t care how many lives they destroy, or how much grief they cause as long as they are making money. I personally have no sympathy for them, and am prepared rather than afraid. It is the common folks from neighborhoods all across this country (and the world for that matter) who suffer at their expense.

For that, I would never apologize for the work I have done. There are people alive today because I did my job.

|

10/15/2020 12:00 PM

For me, I just carry a cult pocket tool and a spoke wrench in my frame bag as opposed to a backpack because they’re big and a Fanny pack because they flop around when you’re manualing in the street

|

smile

10/15/2020 12:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2020 12:25 PM

I hate the look and prefer backpacks anyways. Plus I’m not street enough.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/15/2020 12:46 PM

this is getting weird.

i think frame bags look a bit naff and i like being able to take off a backpack at a spot and ride without any dangly bits hanging off my bike. but who cares.

|

10/15/2020 1:08 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Over the years, because of my occupation, I have had the pleasure (if you can call it that) of searching the backpacks of many ...more

You ride with a gun on your belt ? That’s sooooo American ! fuck yeaaaah

|

10/15/2020 1:11 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Over the years, because of my occupation, I have had the pleasure (if you can call it that) of searching the backpacks of many ...more

Francky wrote:

You ride with a gun on your belt ? That’s sooooo American ! fuck yeaaaah

Lol. True.

|

10/15/2020 1:16 PM

I have a backpack with a waist strap, if im really going far and still want to ride thing along the way ill just clip on the was it strap. good enough for those rare occasions.

Usually im riding with nothing or im loaded for a trip to the park.trails.spot.. and that means, helmet, tubes, tools, pads, pegs if they aren't currently on, water, food, toilet paper, camera gear.. I mean.. obviously I need a backpack

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

T34416L3 TW1N5 - Terrible Twins (Twin Terrible One Barcodes) Brakes/Brakeless T1

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims
WTB: Chrome F25 fork

10/15/2020 1:55 PM

I ride with a backpack everywhere. I'm that guy. Lol. I keep a tube, kotulak tool, trifecta tool, tire lever, bits of extras chain, wax, go pro, tripod, & gallon of water on me at all times.

I did get a Merritt Frame bag but I never use it. I keep my phone & wallet in my pockets and my keys on my belt loop. I figured I could throw all that in the frame bag but tbh it's inconvenient as hell.

Semi gets in the way (rubs on my legs). Adds weight too my bike (I rather just empty my pockets & put everything on my backpack). And it just doesn't fit my style.

I don't hate on anyone using one because if it works for you, do you boo boo. But it's not for me. I'm a backpack guy.

|

10/15/2020 2:47 PM

"Semi gets in the way (rubs on my legs)."

lol
|

10/15/2020 3:46 PM

what is this thread about! lol

|

10/15/2020 4:17 PM

I like them. I have one that I bought on a trip to another province, here in Argentina, and the truth is, to go out for a quick little walk is good. I carry my phone, my wallet, my keys, and sometimes my mobile fisheye.

Also, if you see Bmx more as a lifestyle than a sport, you can relate it to the style of dress or clothing you like.

Mine was just camouflaged, and I painted it with markers and acrylic paints, to give it a little more life..

When I go to the skatepark for a whole day or go on a trip, I use a backpack.

Photo
Photo

|

10/15/2020 4:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2020 4:20 PM

ghostrider920 wrote:

It's about where not to keep your stash if you're a tweeker...

I've gathered..

I you're a tweeker, keep your stash in your fork tube, and your tools in your backpack...

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

10/15/2020 4:34 PM

Four wrote:

They're ugly. I haven't seen bikes look worse than the frame bag, handlebar/stem/toptube pad, and a million stickers. Usually ...more

This. Bikes like this look disgusting.

“bUt I cAn CaRrY tOoLs In It To FiX mY bIkE” okay good for you your bike still looks like shit. Looks like one of those sport comfort bikes with the little baskets & bags hanging off them. Plus a lot of times the contents rattle around so not only do they look like shit they sound like shit too. I carry a spoke wrench in my pocket & a 6mm allen key in my wallet… typically if I need anything else I just bring a backpack and be able to carry drinks, a camera, and/or other things as well.

|

10/15/2020 4:40 PM

ghostrider920 wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

It's about where not to keep your stash if you're a tweeker...

I've gathered..

I you're a tweeker, keep your stash in your ...more

Wise words. Lol. I’d slap a guy if he came in and said he took some dudes bike apart to find their stash.

|

10/15/2020 4:46 PM

Four wrote:

They're ugly. I haven't seen bikes look worse than the frame bag, handlebar/stem/toptube pad, and a million stickers. Usually ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

This. Bikes like this look disgusting.

“bUt I cAn CaRrY tOoLs In It To FiX mY bIkE” okay good for you your bike still looks ...more

Lol this popped into my mind.
Photo
Balling.

|

10/15/2020 5:06 PM

Can't fit a six-pack in the frame bag

|

10/15/2020 5:41 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

Do you wear crocs when you ride your bike? And problem gym shorts with Knee high white socks.
Yep - go ahead and get you one ...more

This isn't a cargo pants type situation!?

|

Иди сюда и поцелуй меня