Frame Features

Related:
Create New Tag

11/12/2013 4:16 PM

Has anyone had any experiences with a frame with internal gussets? Are they just welded into the tube instead of outside, or is there something different about them?

How do you feel about Invest casting?
Does anyone have chain tensioners? Do they work well?

Do you have any ideas for a frame feature? What would the new technology for the frame be?

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/12/2013 4:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/12/2013 4:31 PM

I rode a frame with internal gussets and it was fine, I just outgrew it. The only feature I really care about is brake mounts. It has to have some, and I prefer welded.

EDIT: 800 posts

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

11/12/2013 4:27 PM

Internal gussets are where the tube is thicker at the upper(TT) and lower(DT). I prefer external, they look good IMO.

I think investment casting is cool and i've seen no issues with it. my fly frame had investment cast dropouts and they looked good and where very stiff.

The sunday chain tensors work good from what i've seen. wish my mac had some.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

11/12/2013 5:00 PM

Internal gussets just look cleaner because you cant see them. Invest casting is great , cleaner without the welds and is generally stronger. Chain tensioners are great if you dont run your wheel slammed , and hate having your chain come loose. Its a nice feature and with most frames you can barely see the tensioners , so it looks clean and makes your bike dialed

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/12/2013 5:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/12/2013 5:10 PM

Internal gussets are not actually gussets they are just tube that get fatter in one area and are nowhere near as strong as a gusseted frame

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

11/12/2013 5:16 PM

Ahh thanks guys about the internal gussets. Thats pretty cool, i didnt know that!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/12/2013 5:35 PM

I think internal gussets make a frame look weak. I like seeing the gusset, gives me peace of mine. Especially with Sunday's big ass one haha.

and for chain tensioners.. I don't use mine. too much of a hassle to fuck with them every time I need to take my wheel off, and I used them before & it was just easier to center the wheel & get my chain the right tension by myself. Plus when I did use them, they deformed pretty quickly.

As for new features, I don't really have any complaints with my 3rd wave. Sunday should just keep their frames how they are, maybe change geo up for signature frames but keep the features pretty similar to how they are now, just in my opinion anyway.

anyone remember this? haha

http://www.sundaybikes.com/2009/07/anthony-wilson-bike-check/#/2

|

11/12/2013 6:26 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I think internal gussets make a frame look weak. I like seeing the gusset, gives me peace of mine. Especially with Sunday's big ass one haha.

and for chain tensioners.. I don't use mine. too much of a hassle to fuck with them every time I need to take my wheel off, and I used them before & it was just easier to center the wheel & get my chain the right tension by myself. Plus when I did use them, they deformed pretty quickly.

As for new features, I don't really have any complaints with my 3rd wave. Sunday should just keep their frames how they are, maybe change geo up for signature frames but keep the features pretty similar to how they are now, just in my opinion anyway.

Why would he shave his headtube? What is the point? haha I agree, Sunday frames are perfect, although, if they did their same style dropouts but invest casted, thatd be bomb!! i really want that. They should do a hydroformed gusset with their wave gusset and itd be a lot cleaner. Maybe the addition to an all new TT gusset design.

I also like seeing the gussets, reassures me. Maybe they could do bigger welds, then shave them so they are smooth.

|

11/12/2013 6:37 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Why would he shave his headtube? What is the point? haha I agree, Sunday frames are perfect, although, if they did their same style dropouts but invest casted, thatd be bomb!! i really want that. They should do a hydroformed gusset with their wave gusset and itd be a lot cleaner. Maybe the addition to an all new TT gusset design.

I also like seeing the gussets, reassures me. Maybe they could do bigger welds, then shave them so they are smooth.

Jim C. designed it like that, in case you somehow managed to dent your headtube/where your bearings go, then all you need to do is buy new bearings instead of replace the frame. Seems unnecessary and looks stupid, probably why it never went into production

|

11/12/2013 7:13 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yeah haha has anyone broke that big ass dt gusset? I cracked mine right under it but not on it lol. I wish they didnt fuck with the wave geo. 74.5 ht, 11.75 bb and 13.75 cs was rad. now its 75 and 13.5 like all the other frames : /

|

11/12/2013 7:15 PM

I dont think I've rode a frame with int gussets but my friends have, they seem to be okay.

I had chain tensiors but cut them off.

|

11/13/2013 11:43 AM

The haro wrap around gusset on the new lineage frame looks sweet .......investment casting looks clean.......I'm wondering if most frames will jump on board and if the prices of frames will rise if they do.

I like the hidden seat clamp on my martyr frame......but I guess built in clamps all do the same thing

|

11/13/2013 12:29 PM

My skavenger loco frame has both internal & external gussets, I like the peace of mind that comes with the extra strength.

My other frame wethepeople CREAM, has invest cast everything pretty much, I was a little concerned when I got it especially with the headtube being invest cast but its absolutely solid.

both my frames are built like tanks...love em.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

11/13/2013 7:58 PM

Double top tubes. Platforms. Welded mounts. Gyro tabs. All I want/need.

|

fack off

11/13/2013 8:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2013 8:10 PM

Personal preference

I prefer internal gussets which is basically just a thicker tube ending. Ran many frames with "internal gussets" not one problem with them.

Invest casting is pretty awesome because of the shapes you can make out of them compared to just a bent or straight tube for the brace/bridge. Also had them worked great, they look really neat.

Most the Fly frames have removable chain tensioners which worked perfect, I prefer chain tensioners as less hassle for wheel adjustments.

Future frames for me a must would be, removable brake mounts dylan style, removable gyro tabs, cable guides and stops, removable or internal/integrated chain tensioners, internal gussets top and down tubes, spanish bb and 2 options for brake positions being seat stay and chain stay mounted brakes.

|