Frame/parts suggestions. Help me spend my money!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/25/2015 12:03 PM

Whats up everybody. I just signed up here to get some opinions on a bike build so I'll give a bit of an intro. Sorry for the rant in advance.

I've been out of the BMX scene for a number of years now but riding was a big part of my growing up always on 2 wheels riding mainly street and some small trails as there weren't really parks in my area growing up but I got to ride some a little bit later on as they opened some and every now and then I would hop on a bike and have some fun.. Eventually I started riding motorcycles and got seriously involved with that and now I ride those on the racetrack...
Anyway I recently got on an old bmx bike that I still had sitting around and really had some fun and re sparked my interest to ride one. The bike is one of the old fit... flow trail? I think... Which was a complete that I had upgraded some parts on. obviously outdated and kind of worn from being neglected, not to mention small for me.

I'm looking into building a really descent bike to do some street and park riding. I won't (don't plan to) be doing anything too crazy, just have some fun. Small tricks, spin tricks, grinds, some gaps, stairs etc. But who knows what I'll get myself into so I want something that would be strong, ready for whatever and good for my size (6'2" approx 215 lbs) I'm not on a tight budget and I won't be riding every single day but I have a habit of wanting the latest and greatest. I know how expensive building a bike can get.
I have a couple of parts that I could re use from my old bike to save a little money. Profile cranks, bottom bracket, 25t sprocket, pedals... That might be it lol.
I looked at some parts and so far I came up with some ideas but the biggest question is choosing a good frame and picking a good size for my height/weight.... 21?.... 21.25? If anyone takes the time to read this thread and give some input it is appreciated.

Also need opinions on
handlebars and size...maybe shadow vultus 9" ?
Headset
Stem
Fork
Wheels - Currently looking at Odyssey 7ka or g sport ribcage with Antigram hubs

|

10/25/2015 1:39 PM

Headsets are all the same except for the dust cap. I'd recommend you to get odyssey forks because they make the strongest forks on the market and as for frame length I'd say either a 21 or a 21.25.

|

10/25/2015 1:48 PM

Get odyssey forks. I would say go for a 21" frame maybe a fbm or sunday soundwave. As for rims i run both a gsport ribcage and odyssey hazard lite. They are both good rims but i would get both hazard because the ribcage really isn't worth the $90.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

10/25/2015 6:54 PM

Get front brake forks.

|

It’s all bmx

10/26/2015 8:44 AM

I'll help you spend your money mail it to me that's your best option

|

10/26/2015 5:50 PM

Get a Fiend Reynolds frame to start with and get some strong forks like Fiend , or Fit . Then get a bunch of Eclat parts because they last forever and I actually ride a bunch of them so I like them.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/26/2015 5:54 PM

Get a Fiend Reynolds frame to start with and get some strong forks like Fiend , or Fit . Then get a bunch of Eclat parts because they last forever and I actually ride a bunch of them so I like them.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/28/2015 4:53 AM

Stick with 21 t. It 5 ft 11 nearly and I ride a 20.8 good. Odyssey r32 forks. A good 49- 53 mm reach stem. 9 inch plus rise bars. Wheels u got the right idea. Street style tyres. 2.3 width plus. 2.4 s may not fit in your rear (lol)?
If you are going to be doing all this you gotta conform with a low seat height and a fat seat.
Brake is acceptable for older dudes.
Also you want a shorter chainstay if riding Street and doing spin tricks.

|

10/28/2015 4:54 AM

Most bsd frames would be good for you and they hardly ever fail.

|

10/28/2015 7:02 AM

Rob_Lund wrote:

Most bsd frames would be good for you and they hardly ever fail.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just want something that's going to be strong and good for my size. And looks good of course. Haha

|

10/28/2015 7:03 AM

Thanks to those who gave me real answers

|

10/28/2015 7:14 AM

Im a made in America type dude considering the shit out of taiwan is all the same with different stickers basically. I am 6'3 and here are my suggestions

Frame. I love my custom lairdframe. They run $520 in any color and specs you want mailed to your door. That might be your best option. I run a 21" TT and middle of the road CS (13.6) This however is a really good all around frame (trails, park, street) at a good price, made in NY also!
http://www.empirebmx.com/fbm-bellwitch-frame. They also have a blue one in their supe frame sale for like $275 http://www.empirebmx.com/empire-bmx-frame-sale

handlebars-Ive gone from 9 to 9.5 back to 9 to 9.25 and now on 8.85 T-1 bars. I have a profile push stem which really gives some height so the smaller bars made me less lazy and easier to pull up. Upsweep is your friend when you get older haha (im 28) 3 degree minimum for me
Once again USA made
http://www.empirebmx.com/terrible-one-885-usa-handlebar
Headset-I really like the feel of my tree but as mentioned theyre all basically the same but for some reason (different brand bearing I suppose) the tree feels smoother
Stem-Tons of length option (im on a 53mm) and tons of colors options and you guessed it, USA made
http://www.empirebmx.com/profile-push-stem
Fork-Odyssey r32 FTW
Wheels - Im on 7ka right now but came from ribcages so youre good either way
Hubs-I like antigrams but I loooooooooove the engagement of profiles (USA USA!) Madera is their sister company but is made in the same building as profile but for a better bang for the buck. Once again tons of axle, nut, and color options. Plus a little cheaper then odyssey.
http://www.empirebmx.com/madera-v2-cassette-hub

I buy damn near everything from empire down in austin tx, awesome awesome people who support a ton of riders and more importantly up and coming riders. If you buy the rims, spokes, and hubs from them they will assemble them fro free and they are the most true, bomproof wheels built. Also use the discount code tenner and it will save you some money.

PS-fuck 25t sprockets. If you're going to run a 9t in the back go with at least a 28t. Personally I run 31-9 and love it. Any more questons just shoot.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

10/28/2015 7:18 AM

Ignore what was said about getting a super short back end. Bigger dude flowing around parks and clearing stairs you'll want a more stable back end so you should do 21" top tube with like a 13.5" chainstay. 75 degree headtube angle. That's pretty "normal" so it should be comfortable from the beginning and be fairly versatile

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

10/28/2015 7:27 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Ignore what was said about getting a super short back end. Bigger dude flowing around parks and clearing stairs you'll want a more stable back end so you should do 21" top tube with like a 13.5" chainstay. 75 degree headtube angle. That's pretty "normal" so it should be comfortable from the beginning and be fairly versatile

thanks. Thats pretty much the measurements I've been looking at. I just cant decide on a brand lol.

|

10/28/2015 7:29 AM

Thanks Ricked for the in depth reply. I'm not looking to drop 500+ on a custom frame though lol. But everything else sounds good.

|

10/28/2015 7:36 AM

http://www.empirebmx.com/sm-atf-frame

This is also a really good frame with good "old dude specs" haha- http://www.empirebmx.com/credence-mod-frame

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

10/28/2015 9:29 AM

Ricked_Em wrote:

Im a made in America type dude considering the shit out of taiwan is all the same with different stickers basically. I am 6'3 and here are my suggestions

Frame. I love my custom lairdframe. They run $520 in any color and specs you want mailed to your door. That might be your best option. I run a 21" TT and middle of the road CS (13.6) This however is a really good all around frame (trails, park, street) at a good price, made in NY also!
http://www.empirebmx.com/fbm-bellwitch-frame. They also have a blue one in their supe frame sale for like $275 http://www.empirebmx.com/empire-bmx-frame-sale

handlebars-Ive gone from 9 to 9.5 back to 9 to 9.25 and now on 8.85 T-1 bars. I have a profile push stem which really gives some height so the smaller bars made me less lazy and easier to pull up. Upsweep is your friend when you get older haha (im 28) 3 degree minimum for me
Once again USA made
http://www.empirebmx.com/terrible-one-885-usa-handlebar
Headset-I really like the feel of my tree but as mentioned theyre all basically the same but for some reason (different brand bearing I suppose) the tree feels smoother
Stem-Tons of length option (im on a 53mm) and tons of colors options and you guessed it, USA made
http://www.empirebmx.com/profile-push-stem
Fork-Odyssey r32 FTW
Wheels - Im on 7ka right now but came from ribcages so youre good either way
Hubs-I like antigrams but I loooooooooove the engagement of profiles (USA USA!) Madera is their sister company but is made in the same building as profile but for a better bang for the buck. Once again tons of axle, nut, and color options. Plus a little cheaper then odyssey.
http://www.empirebmx.com/madera-v2-cassette-hub

I buy damn near everything from empire down in austin tx, awesome awesome people who support a ton of riders and more importantly up and coming riders. If you buy the rims, spokes, and hubs from them they will assemble them fro free and they are the most true, bomproof wheels built. Also use the discount code tenner and it will save you some money.

PS-fuck 25t sprockets. If you're going to run a 9t in the back go with at least a 28t. Personally I run 31-9 and love it. Any more questons just shoot.

This guy knows what is up. Support the USA...FBM or S&M are the way to go for a frame. 21" should be fine for you.

Anything north of 9" bars is just silly. I see 5'5" kids running a top load, a shit ton of headset spacers, and 9.5" bars and they look like they are doing chin ups.

No one beats odyssey forks.

If you are running profiles I would recommend a spline drive sprocket....always straight and never have problems. 28t minimum....25-9 is retarded.

Your wheel choice is on point

|

10/28/2015 10:07 AM

bobPA wrote:

This guy knows what is up. Support the USA...FBM or S&M are the way to go for a frame. 21" should be fine for you.

Anything north of 9" bars is just silly. I see 5'5" kids running a top load, a shit ton of headset spacers, and 9.5" bars and they look like they are doing chin ups.

No one beats odyssey forks.

If you are running profiles I would recommend a spline drive sprocket....always straight and never have problems. 28t minimum....25-9 is retarded.

Your wheel choice is on point

Thanks. I was always a fan of S&M. I was looking into the ATF. The others seem pretty close in geo but I see more info on people running the ATF. I'm pretty set on the odyssey r32 forks and probably some 9" bars. I don't see a reason to get new cranks since the profiles have always treated me good and I have some already and it would also save me some money. So I'll look into a new sprocket 28t or up and spline drive. Thanks.

|

10/28/2015 10:23 AM

For the record, Mike Laird makes his frames in NC, not NY, and they are super super good.

Sounds like he is toying with the idea to make forks as well.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/28/2015 10:25 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

For the record, Mike Laird makes his frames in NC, not NY, and they are super super good.

Sounds like he is toying with the idea to make forks as well.

My spacing was fucked up lol, I meant that bellwitch I linked to is made in NY

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

10/29/2015 2:42 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Short wheekbase for spin tricks as said and conveniently ignored by some. Zz

|