Frames for tall guys

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2019 1:13 AM

Hey guys, so Im 6’5 and I’ve been riding a 21 TT fit frame for a bit now. I started to feel like it’s a bit small for me, and i’ve been thinking of switching to a 21.3-21.6 in a bit of time. But i was also thinking, does a taller standover make the bike feel taller off the ground and more comfortable for a guy with long legs? Because my fit is 8.6 inch standover and it feels low. Thanks for the help

|

10/21/2019 1:40 AM

Standover doesn’t make the bike feels taller, but it makes the bike a little more stable on jumps.
a BSD safari would suit you well in 21.4” or gigantic 21.8” and tall 9.5” standover with a semi short backend 13 - 13.4” and high BB, it’s a perfect do it all frame, stable enough and also good for street tech stuffs.
BSD also got other frames with over 21” tt and different geos, I don’t really know what you are looking for.

|

10/21/2019 5:35 AM

Francky wrote:

Standover doesn’t make the bike feels taller, but it makes the bike a little more stable on jumps.
a BSD safari would suit you well in 21.4” or gigantic 21.8” and tall 9.5” standover with a semi short backend 13 - 13.4” and high BB, it’s a perfect do it all frame, stable enough and also good for street tech stuffs.
BSD also got other frames with over 21” tt and different geos, I don’t really know what you are looking for.

I was also thinking about the BSD safari, cuz i like the shorter back end and it’s just a sick all around frame. Do you know any other good one’s that should be worth checking out?

|

10/21/2019 5:55 AM

There’s the bsd raider, which is a safari but with longer chainstays (13.5” slammed) so it’s even more stable it makes it way less polyvalent.

But if you like the shorter chainstays, the safari is a solid choice so you can go tech while still having plenty of stability with the long top tube if you want to shred a bowl or trails.

The real question is the size you want to get it, you are really tall so you can shred the 21.8” but the 21.4” could do the job too.

|

10/21/2019 5:56 AM

The taller the stand over, the shorter the top tube will feel too.

For example, if you upgraded to a 21.2” with a 9.5” Standover, it would probably feel very similar (length-wise) to your 21” with 8.6”. Would kind of negate the change in top tube size if that makes sense.

Seat tube angle also effects effective TT size.

And Bottom Bracket Height is what raises your feet away from the ground, so you could look into a higher BBH if that’s something that interests you.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/21/2019 6:20 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The taller the stand over, the shorter the top tube will feel too.

For example, if you upgraded to a 21.2” with a 9.5” Standover, it would probably feel very similar (length-wise) to your 21” with 8.6”. Would kind of negate the change in top tube size if that makes sense.

Seat tube angle also effects effective TT size.

And Bottom Bracket Height is what raises your feet away from the ground, so you could look into a higher BBH if that’s something that interests you.

Yes the seat tube affect the tt feel a lot.
A 21.5” frame with standard 71° sta is 21.5’’
and a 21.5’’ frame with laidback 69° feels 21.25’’

And yes for standover too, it makes sense 1’’ higher might make a frame feel 0.1’’ shorter (maybe 0.2’’).

But going for 21.4’’ or 21.8’’ will bring more room anyway, but considering the standover factor too, 21.8’’ might be a better fit.

|

10/21/2019 7:07 AM

Im my experience a higher bb makes the bike feel smaller than it really is, way more responsive though...

|

10/21/2019 7:52 AM

Francky wrote:

There’s the bsd raider, which is a safari but with longer chainstays (13.5” slammed) so it’s even more stable it makes it way less polyvalent.

But if you like the shorter chainstays, the safari is a solid choice so you can go tech while still having plenty of stability with the long top tube if you want to shred a bowl or trails.

The real question is the size you want to get it, you are really tall so you can shred the 21.8” but the 21.4” could do the job too.

I really don’t want my bike to be too long, so the max i was thinking to go was 21.5.-21.6

I was looking for a frame with a shorter chainstay (13-13.5) and a 9-9.25 standover with that TT but i couldn’t find anything.
Do you perhaps know any?

|

10/21/2019 8:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2019 8:08 AM

|

10/21/2019 8:06 AM

Also, does a taller standover make it harder to do any tricks like tailwhips or anything? I don’t wanna be inhibited due to the tall standover

|

10/21/2019 8:11 AM

Oh damn i actually love the second one, thanks man i feel like it’s between these 2 for me

|

10/21/2019 8:16 AM

|

10/21/2019 8:42 AM

On the S&M tall boy it says “5.15 inch head tube, might require longer fork.” Is that something to be worried about (i have the stock fit fork 33m offset

|

10/21/2019 9:38 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Another one, slightly lower standover
https://www.sandmbikes.com/product/hardgoods/frames/hoder-signature-btm-frame/

Bobijojo wrote:

On the S&M tall boy it says “5.15 inch head tube, might require longer fork.” Is that something to be worried about (i have the stock fit fork 33m offset

How many spacers are under your stem? Measure the length of your headtube, it’s probably 5”, so you just need to make sure your stem will fit enough onto the steerer.

|

10/21/2019 9:48 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Another one, slightly lower standover
https://www.sandmbikes.com/product/hardgoods/frames/hoder-signature-btm-frame/

Bobijojo wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

How many spacers are under your stem? Measure the length of your headtube, it’s probably 5”, so you just need to make sure your stem will fit enough onto the steerer.

My head tube is 4.7 inch long and the spacers together are 0.2 inches. Does that mean it won’t fit?

|

10/21/2019 10:31 AM

also, what do you think about this frame in 21.5?
https://www.sandmbikes.com/product/hardgoods/frames/dtf-frame/

|

10/21/2019 10:46 AM

Bobijojo wrote:

Looks good too, a little longer chainstays than the tallboy, slacker head angle (classic 75°) and mostly lower BB, it makes the bike feels sticked to the ground.

But as S&M uses huge head tubes, you’ll need a longer fork for this one too.

|

10/21/2019 10:48 AM

Bobijojo wrote:

Francky wrote:

Looks good too, a little longer chainstays than the tallboy, slacker head angle (classic 75°) and mostly lower BB, it makes the bike feels sticked to the ground.

But it’s only a 5” which is the “norm”. If i remove my spacers shouldnt that be fine?

|

10/21/2019 11:06 AM

Bobijojo wrote:

Francky wrote:

Bobijojo wrote:

But it’s only a 5” which is the “norm”. If i remove my spacers shouldnt that be fine?

and would a shadow or odyssey fork fit in 5’ cuz i like those two

|

10/21/2019 11:09 AM

Any new forks will fit, usually they give enough room to stack spacers or chop em down to your desired length. Your forks should fit any 5” headtube, you’ll just have to lose the spacer

|

10/21/2019 11:18 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Any new forks will fit, usually they give enough room to stack spacers or chop em down to your desired length. Your forks should fit any 5” headtube, you’ll just have to lose the spacer

i don't mind losing the spacer, i try to run without them whenever i can. on that note, i feel like im leaning towards the DTF instead of safari due to the TT and standover, making it best of both worlds, which is what i wanted

|

10/21/2019 11:23 AM

You said you got a 4.7’’ head tube, plus 0.2’’ of spacers, so 4.9’’ total, so your 0.25’’ short for a 5.15’’ head tube which means your stem will be half clamped onto the steerer tube, don’t ride like this you need some new forks. (and also a smaller handlebar or stem if you like your current bar height, because it will rise, maybe you will like it with the bigger frame, maybe not, wait until you get the frame and fork before ordering this)

For forks, you are hesitating between odyssey and shadow, go for odyssey they makes the best forks, lifetime warranty, around 100 grams less than most forks and a brand new uncut one will 100% fit a S&M frame.

|

10/21/2019 11:42 AM

Francky wrote:

You said you got a 4.7’’ head tube, plus 0.2’’ of spacers, so 4.9’’ total, so your 0.25’’ short for a 5.15’’ head tube which means your stem will be half clamped onto the steerer tube, don’t ride like this you need some new forks. (and also a smaller handlebar or stem if you like your current bar height, because it will rise, maybe you will like it with the bigger frame, maybe not, wait until you get the frame and fork before ordering this)

For forks, you are hesitating between odyssey and shadow, go for odyssey they makes the best forks, lifetime warranty, around 100 grams less than most forks and a brand new uncut one will 100% fit a S&M frame.

but do i need new forks if i'm getting the s&m DTF, which only has 5'' head tube. With my current head tube, it was somewhere between 4.9-5 (with spacers) so if i removed them shouldn't my current forks fit?

|

10/21/2019 11:57 AM

Take a pic so we can see what spacers you’re working with. There’s a dust cover which is typically 5mm, but sometimes 10mm. Then usually one or two 5mm spacers. If you’ve got a 5mm stack dust cover, and a 5mm spacer, your forks will fit the dtf if you lose the spacer and have your stem slammed on the dust cover. Ideally you want your steerer to end about 5mm lower than the top of the stem. You can get away with less providing it still tightens your headset. You don’t really want more than 5-6mm/1/4”

|

10/21/2019 12:32 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Take a pic so we can see what spacers you’re working with. There’s a dust cover which is typically 5mm, but sometimes 10mm. Then usually one or two 5mm spacers. If you’ve got a 5mm stack dust cover, and a 5mm spacer, your forks will fit the dtf if you lose the spacer and have your stem slammed on the dust cover. Ideally you want your steerer to end about 5mm lower than the top of the stem. You can get away with less providing it still tightens your headset. You don’t really want more than 5-6mm/1/4”

5-6 mm of stem not clamping the head tube is huge, 1-2 mm is the most I recommend.

|

10/21/2019 12:49 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Francky wrote:

5-6 mm of stem not clamping the head tube is huge, 1-2 mm is the most I recommend.

nah, it’s pretty standard

|

10/21/2019 1:25 PM

.pegless. wrote:

So you can’t see too much but there wre basically just2 spacers there. Hope that helps somehow

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

10/21/2019 1:41 PM

I have a 21.5" Tall Boy with the 172mm Widemouth XL fork. My stem has a stack height of 31.5mm and I'm using an Odyssey Pro headset with a 10mm spacer. My steerer tube is about 1.5mm above my top pinch bolt.

If your steerer tube is 164mm, or longer you should be good with a low stack headset like the Odyssey Pro. You just don't want the top of your steerer tube to be lower than the top stem pinch bolt.

Also, a tall SOH is nice if you like to have a taller seat height to cruise around on (less seat post exposed). I think they make taller bars look more proportionate, also.

The DTF frame would be the best "all-around" frame, geo wise (imo).

|

10/21/2019 2:13 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

I have a 21.5" Tall Boy with the 172mm Widemouth XL fork. My stem has a stack height of 31.5mm and I'm using an Odyssey Pro headset with a 10mm spacer. My steerer tube is about 1.5mm above my top pinch bolt.

If your steerer tube is 164mm, or longer you should be good with a low stack headset like the Odyssey Pro. You just don't want the top of your steerer tube to be lower than the top stem pinch bolt.

Also, a tall SOH is nice if you like to have a taller seat height to cruise around on (less seat post exposed). I think they make taller bars look more proportionate, also.

The DTF frame would be the best "all-around" frame, geo wise (imo).

Yea i love the “on paper” geo of the DTF and im an all around park/street rider so i feel like it would fit me perfectly

|

10/22/2019 6:14 AM

We have a local guy who is 6’1” who rides a 21.8. All he does is pedal as fast as possible and goes as high as possible. I ride a 20.4 with a short back end and only do flips and tech tricks. It’s super fun riding his bike because it’s on the opposite spectrum

|