Free coaster and brakeless?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/16/2017 1:26 PM

Hey all! I rode with a brake but was having trouble with bars and Also want to improve my bike control and riding brakeless has always helped in the past, never mind the fact my brake is a bit ruined. So I was wondering how to do a tyre tap on a freecoaster without brakes? I know pedal pressure with a free is never a good idea but also don't have a brake? Any advise? Maybe should I switch back to cassette? As I feel maybe a freecoaster isn't for me? Cheers guys!

|

8/16/2017 1:44 PM

Tire tap on a coaster is wizardry , it's just all balance ( unless you use pedals pressure which will blow up your hub after a while ) I've done a couple without it but no where near as nice as with a cassette

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/16/2017 2:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2017 3:17 PM

Coaster and pedal pressure aren't meant to work together, tire taps are possible by preloading the hub (one feet up the other down) then crank down and press, doing one occasionally doesn't hurt, but clucth "pawls" aren't cassette pawls and doing them regularly with definatly kill your hub after a while, if pedal pressure tricks are your thing, better stick to a cassette.
But the feeling of cruising backward is just something you can't have on a cassette even if all tricks are possible on both hubs.
And ultimately if you really can't choose between cruising backward and doing pedal pressure stuffs, you still have the Z-coaster option, but this one is a fucking big investment.

About brake and bike control, here's what I say to all beginners : start with one, take it off when you'll be confident enough to earn some bike control, then put it back if you want to ride with one (like if you love brake tricks or if you live in a place with a lot of hills).

|

8/16/2017 3:20 PM

Just don't do tyre taps?

|

8/16/2017 3:57 PM

Francky wrote:

Coaster and pedal pressure aren't meant to work together, tire taps are possible by preloading the hub (one feet up the other down) then crank down and press, doing one occasionally doesn't hurt, but clucth "pawls" aren't cassette pawls and doing them regularly with definatly kill your hub after a while, if pedal pressure tricks are your thing, better stick to a cassette.
But the feeling of cruising backward is just something you can't have on a cassette even if all tricks are possible on both hubs.
And ultimately if you really can't choose between cruising backward and doing pedal pressure stuffs, you still have the Z-coaster option, but this one is a fucking big investment.

About brake and bike control, here's what I say to all beginners : start with one, take it off when you'll be confident enough to earn some bike control, then put it back if you want to ride with one (like if you love brake tricks or if you live in a place with a lot of hills).

Cheers buddy!!! Z coaster is possibly off the list for a long while! I was thinking I'll use my current free coaster set up and cassette. Then switch between the 2 when suited! Maybe in a few years when price comes down and I'm better z coaster might be an option ha!

|

8/16/2017 4:17 PM

It's possible, but not really, haha.

I've run this setup for a while and I actually am working on such a build now, but it's sort of like the motion of an ultra slow manual. Just imagine you're landing in manual and hope for the best.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

8/16/2017 5:30 PM

JoshHM wrote:

Cheers buddy!!! Z coaster is possibly off the list for a long while! I was thinking I'll use my current free coaster set up and cassette. Then switch between the 2 when suited! Maybe in a few years when price comes down and I'm better z coaster might be an option ha!

The only thing a z-coaster has more than a regular coaster is pedal pressure so it's really a detail.
Two wheelset is perfect, I also have both but the cassette wheel is mainly here "just in case" if anything goes wrong with my coaster.

|

8/16/2017 5:34 PM

Cheers guys, about to start a new thread on rear wheels if you wanna input :D

|