Free coaster help?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/26/2014 4:52 PM

So I'm getting a new back wheel setup and I want to try out free coasters.. Are their any problems with them or should I stick to cassette.. If I get the new setup in going to run a demolition rotator and a alienation skylark trued with standard spokes.. How does that sound.. I have the skylark on my frontwheel and works fine for me.. Is the rotator a good hub? Thanks Photo

|

Bicycle motor-cross Motor bicycle-cross Bicycle cross-motor Motor cross-bicycle!

5/26/2014 5:07 PM

I have a Demoltion Rotator V1. Make sure you get the new updated version. Basically the V1 has normal bearings and a hollow axle , but the updated one has needle point bearings and a solid axle.

The hub is great so far , but these coasters all use KHE internals. So the hub says Demolition , but 90% of coasters available use KHE interals. They're really good and reliable. Switching slack is straightforward and Demolition even released a video on vimeo if you need help. As for the misconception of freecoasters breaking , I haven't had an issue with mine. There are TONS of sources that show you how to work on coasters available , like google , youtube , freecoaster.com , even special threads here.

When you get the coaster , the FIRST thing that I was told and that I can also personally say , is switch out the drive side cone nut. The driver has bearings in it and a cap/washer covers it to prevent dust and gunk getting in it. The thing is that if you ride hard or even overtighten your axle bolt , it can cause to much force on that washer which will actually bend into the bearing and fuck it up. I switched my cone nut with a FAT Ezra one from a cassette hub and hadn't had an issue. If you look at the picture , they're really thin , mine now was almost 3x the size , to the point I had to stretch my frame. It sounds like a choir but a little nut change will save your hub and literally has no expense to do so.

As for riding a coaster , they are SUPER FUN. I love 180's and fakie tricks , so if you are interested in those then you should get them. If you want a coaster for the fact of making 180's "easier" then you will NOT be happy because at first coasters are difficult to ride and you'll think that it was a bad idea but once you get used to it , you will LOVE it.

BOTTOM line .... GET ONE (PS the Alienation rim is pretty decent , I ride one in the front)

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/26/2014 5:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/26/2014 5:08 PM

Here is a picture for any future reference about regreasing or internals : as shown it's a Federal coaster but it uses KHE internals.
Photo

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/26/2014 5:20 PM

i have the demolition too and didnt know about the drive side washer thing lol, thanks

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

5/26/2014 8:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/26/2014 8:18 PM

sketo wrote:

i have the demolition too and didnt know about the drive side washer thing lol, thanks

No worries. A dude who has ridden coasters for about 5 years told me how he fucked his up. No point blowing your bearings over a little dust washer. Hope it helps , just grease the fuck out of the axle and the threads of the new cone nut because aluminum axles are fucking garbage !

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/27/2014 12:27 AM

i don't know much about hubs, i don't have much time to do the research now
but i met this guy who had a freecoaster and the hub didn't make a single fucking sound
is that how all coasters work? because the noise my cassette is making is pissing me off

|

5/27/2014 11:29 AM

ultrasonic wrote:

but i met this guy who had a freecoaster and the ...more

Yep they don't make any noise because they work off of the screw system instead of the pawls/springs in a cassette (the things that make the clicking noises)

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

5/27/2014 4:50 PM

ultrasonic wrote:

Coaster drivers thread into the hub (hence why you can coast backwards when it unthreads , also known as slack).

The driver doesn't have pawls that make the sounds

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/27/2014 5:34 PM

ultrasonic wrote:

The Profile FC, however, will make noise.

|

5/28/2014 2:21 AM

yeah i honestly hate that my bike is attracting attention (bmx is not a common thing here so usually people stare at me) and i hate cassette noises myself
i was hoping to get ratchet back in the day but since coasters are more available now i don't think i'm gonna get cassette ever again
i checked my local for coasters, they got colony, cult and st martin
all should be good for me i hope
thanks for help yo

|

5/29/2014 6:50 PM

ultrasonic wrote:

Fondue wrote:

The Profile FC, however, will make noise.

When is that one coming out?Matt told me they was coming and that they'd rattle like a regular cassette and he even showed me the prototype on DeGroot's bike and it looks so damn tasty but he never told me when exactly they would be available

|