Free coaster help?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/26/2014 4:52 PM

So I'm getting a new back wheel setup and I want to try out free coasters.. Are their any problems with them or should I stick to cassette.. If I get the new setup in going to run a demolition rotator and a alienation skylark trued with standard spokes.. How does that sound.. I have the skylark on my frontwheel and works fine for me.. Is the rotator a good hub? Thanks Photo

|

Bicycle motor-cross Motor bicycle-cross Bicycle cross-motor Motor cross-bicycle!

5/26/2014 5:07 PM

I have a Demoltion Rotator V1. Make sure you get the new updated version. Basically the V1 has normal bearings and a hollow axle , but the updated one has needle point bearings and a solid axle.

The hub is great so far , but these coasters all use KHE internals. So the hub says Demolition , but 90% of coasters available use KHE interals. They're really good and reliable. Switching slack is straightforward and Demolition even released a video on vimeo if you need help. As for the misconception of freecoasters breaking , I haven't had an issue with mine. There are TONS of sources that show you how to work on coasters available , like google , youtube , freecoaster.com , even special threads here.

When you get the coaster , the FIRST thing that I was told and that I can also personally say , is switch out the drive side cone nut. The driver has bearings in it and a cap/washer covers it to prevent dust and gunk getting in it. The thing is that if you ride hard or even overtighten your axle bolt , it can cause to much force on that washer which will actually bend into the bearing and fuck it up. I switched my cone nut with a FAT Ezra one from a cassette hub and hadn't had an issue. If you look at the picture , they're really thin , mine now was almost 3x the size , to the point I had to stretch my frame. It sounds like a choir but a little nut change will save your hub and literally has no expense to do so.

As for riding a coaster , they are SUPER FUN. I love 180's and fakie tricks , so if you are interested in those then you should get them. If you want a coaster for the fact of making 180's "easier" then you will NOT be happy because at first coasters are difficult to ride and you'll think that it was a bad idea but once you get used to it , you will LOVE it.

BOTTOM line .... GET ONE (PS the Alienation rim is pretty decent , I ride one in the front)

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/26/2014 5:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/26/2014 5:08 PM

Here is a picture for any future reference about regreasing or internals : as shown it's a Federal coaster but it uses KHE internals.
Photo

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/26/2014 5:20 PM

i have the demolition too and didnt know about the drive side washer thing lol, thanks

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

5/26/2014 8:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/26/2014 8:18 PM

sketo wrote:

i have the demolition too and didnt know about the drive side washer thing lol, thanks

No worries. A dude who has ridden coasters for about 5 years told me how he fucked his up. No point blowing your bearings over a little dust washer. Hope it helps , just grease the fuck out of the axle and the threads of the new cone nut because aluminum axles are fucking garbage !

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/27/2014 12:27 AM

i don't know much about hubs, i don't have much time to do the research now
but i met this guy who had a freecoaster and the hub didn't make a single fucking sound
is that how all coasters work? because the noise my cassette is making is pissing me off

|

5/27/2014 11:29 AM

ultrasonic wrote:

but i met this guy who had a freecoaster and the hub didn't make a single fucking sound
is that how all coasters work? because the noise my cassette is making is pissing me off

Yep they don't make any noise because they work off of the screw system instead of the pawls/springs in a cassette (the things that make the clicking noises)

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

5/27/2014 4:50 PM

ultrasonic wrote:

Coaster drivers thread into the hub (hence why you can coast backwards when it unthreads , also known as slack).

The driver doesn't have pawls that make the sounds

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/27/2014 5:34 PM

ultrasonic wrote:

The Profile FC, however, will make noise.

|

5/28/2014 2:21 AM

yeah i honestly hate that my bike is attracting attention (bmx is not a common thing here so usually people stare at me) and i hate cassette noises myself
i was hoping to get ratchet back in the day but since coasters are more available now i don't think i'm gonna get cassette ever again
i checked my local for coasters, they got colony, cult and st martin
all should be good for me i hope
thanks for help yo

|

5/29/2014 6:50 PM

ultrasonic wrote:

Fondue wrote:

The Profile FC, however, will make noise.

When is that one coming out?Matt told me they was coming and that they'd rattle like a regular cassette and he even showed me the prototype on DeGroot's bike and it looks so damn tasty but he never told me when exactly they would be available

|