Free community skate parks question

Related:
Create New Tag

6/22/2020 3:11 PM

So, we have a few free community skate parks and as my other thread says, I’m wanting to get back into bmx. I went to one today for the first time in 20 years. Nobody else was there so I started knocking the rust off, but I noticed a sign that said no bikes. Is this common for these free parks? Do they actually enforce it? If I can’t find one that allows bikes I may have to abandon this idea to get back in shape and pick up a mountain bike.

|

6/22/2020 3:15 PM

Very common! Every skatepark around my area doesn't allow bikes but literally no one cares. The skaters and community within the park are fine with it and the cops are too.

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

6/22/2020 5:38 PM

Some of our local parks have prefab ramps, and staff told me they're insurance / warranties won't cover BMX. After a few years, they stopped caring. Ride it till they kick you out, then come back for more.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

6/22/2020 5:56 PM

Good to know. I really didn’t want to find a new hobby. Lol

|

6/23/2020 12:09 AM

It depends on the park and place. In some places skaters are a bitch, in others skaters don't care but the city does, and then in others "no bikes" is just a sign with no meaning. I'd ask around and try to figure out so you can avoid potential fines.

|

6/23/2020 4:39 AM

Most of the free parks I have ridden in the last 21 years have that. Been kicked out of maybe 2?

My local had one, cops showed up one night, and checked to see if it was too dark for a session-they didn't care. Usually it is an insurance policy thing.

BUT the new local one they are almost done with allows bikes because they city finally pulled their heads out of their rears and realized we would ride anyway and that no one truly cared.

Some skaters whined previously, but when the bmx dudes cleaned trash, shoveled snow and squeegeed the park after rain while THEY sat around, skated and did nothing to help, we called them out VERY LOUDLY in person and on a lot of social media anti-bikes posts, they shut up.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/23/2020 5:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2020 5:17 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Most of the free parks I have ridden in the last 21 years have that. Been kicked out of maybe 2?

My local had one, cops showed up one night, and checked to see if it was too dark for a session-they didn't care. Usually it is an insurance policy thing.

BUT the new local one they are almost done with allows bikes because they city finally pulled their heads out of their rears and realized we would ride anyway and that no one truly cared.

Some skaters whined previously, but when the bmx dudes cleaned trash, shoveled snow and squeegeed the park after rain while THEY sat around, skated and did nothing to help, we called them out VERY LOUDLY in person and on a lot of social media anti-bikes posts, they shut up.

THIS. I go all around my local parks and force my friends to come help me take care of it once in a while. No one ever pays any mind to the skatepark they ride. I can only ride these parks like once or twice a week, yet I still have more pride towards the skateparks than any of the locals who ride almost every day

|

@mattwhobmx
spunser me

6/23/2020 6:43 AM

All anti bike parks that enforce that bs need to be covered in tar and gravel

I think its time we stand against this bias bullshit

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

6/23/2020 8:14 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

So true... most show up to smoke weed and hang out. Gives the park a bad rap. Im just there because i want to ride some ramps, not that shit.

|

Husky Nation Member

6/23/2020 8:33 AM

In my experience, it's not that it's "no bikes", but is instead "no pegs".

Ride it til someone says something, cops got bigger shit to worry about than bikes in a park

|

Come back with a warrant.

6/23/2020 3:53 PM

I appreciate all the replies. I’m sure some depends on the area and how much they care, but if almost everyone here hasn’t had an issue I’m going to assume I won’t either. Till I do. Lol

|

6/24/2020 4:53 AM

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

Ride it til someone says something, cops got bigger shit to worry about than bikes in a park

My FAVORITE interaction with the local skater "hotshot" guy who worked at a skate shop was something like this:

Him: "Yo you are trashing the ledges with your pegs"

Me *looks down at the zero pegs on my bike*

Me "What pegs? I took them off because of whiny skaters like you bitching constantly. You're welcome for me doing less damage than you."

Him: "Wha....well...*shit*...your friends are wrecking the ledges. Tell them to stop."

Me: "Why would I tell them to stop riding? If you have an issue, YOU tell them. I don't give a shit what they do here."

Him: *skates away because someone stood up to him*

He NEVER complained to me again.

Most of the time after that I ran PC pegs too. I got heat for that once or twice, and responded with "They're PLASTIC. So My bike does less damage than your board, you can stop now."

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/24/2020 5:59 AM

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

My FAVORITE interaction with the local skater "hotshot" guy who worked at a skate shop was something like this:

Him: "Yo you are trashing the ledges with your pegs"

Me *looks down at the zero pegs on my bike*

Me "What pegs? I took them off because of whiny skaters like you bitching constantly. You're welcome for me doing less damage than you."

Him: "Wha....well...*shit*...your friends are wrecking the ledges. Tell them to stop."

Me: "Why would I tell them to stop riding? If you have an issue, YOU tell them. I don't give a shit what they do here."

Him: *skates away because someone stood up to him*

He NEVER complained to me again.

Most of the time after that I ran PC pegs too. I got heat for that once or twice, and responded with "They're PLASTIC. So My bike does less damage than your board, you can stop now."

i don't even respond when skaters say shit like that, i just ride away and laugh.

|

It’s all bmx

6/24/2020 9:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2020 9:56 AM

A couple around here are like that. I don't agree with it if it is built using any type of govt funds. I'm ok with them specifying plastic pegs or whatever, but to just not allow an entire subset of extreme sports is not right as everyone pays taxes. It's pretty well established that roller blades, skateboards, scooters, and bmx bikes all ride skate parks; they should all be allowed. If anything, local businesses should have a say as they would bear the brunt of cost from any one of these not being allowed as those not allowed will just ride local street spots...

|

6/24/2020 10:04 AM

Wow, I never even looked at mine. I will look next time. But there are bikes and skaters there all the time. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

6/24/2020 7:58 PM

Well, for right now I don’t even have pegs on the bike but when I do put some on again I’ll definitely get plastic pegs to avoid hassle. I never did a ton of grinding, my thing was always tricks over box jumps and dirt jumping.

|

6/25/2020 6:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2020 6:15 AM

In my decade of riding a 20" I'd say about 1 in 10 parks that has a no bikes sign actually enforces it. If its prefab, it is always insurance related, though most cops don't know/care to enforce. I've been kicked out by the police of brand new concrete parks. In those instance I assume the rules are set because the skaters were more proactive in pushing the city council to build the park and as such they have been swayed to think bike pegs are so much more destructive than skate trucks. Also, nice new concrete parks cost 10x more than prefab, so usually if they have been led to believe "bikes will ruin" the parks then they want to "protect their investment."

As far as having the skater be cool with you riding there, I'd say about 1 in 6 parks that has a no bikes sign has skaters that yell at you when you first roll up (especially of you are the only biker). If you aren't alone, that helps a lot. If you are alone, just tell them you aren't going to grind anything and the only thing contacting the ramp surface will be your rubber tires. Also, make sure not to snake any of them and you will usually be OK. It also helps if you are half way decent at riding a bike. Most stakers will respect someone who can roast a QP or kick a tailwhip, and that usually shuts them up.

However, with all the BLM equality stuff going around, as a BMX community we ought to take advantage of the moment and write to the cities that have no bikes allowed rules at their parks and enforce those rules to consider changing said rules. There are two cities near me that heavily enforce that, so I'll be writing to them this week.

|