Freecoaster

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2017 8:38 PM

I really want a freecoaster even though the real main benefit is not pedaling backwards when I fakie. Im pretty certain I'm going to buy the Begin 1 from fitbikeco. Should I stay on my cassette or go for the freecoaster?

|

6/3/2017 8:52 PM

Can you fakie good on a cassette ? It's harder to fakie a coaster then it is a cassette

|

6/3/2017 8:56 PM

Just also keep in mind the Freecoaster has slack before it ingages so it will take a while to get used to, and with a Freecoaster you should always lube it and maintain it to keep it running smooth. But I personally ride a cassette and don't think I'll be switching to a coaster anytime soon (even though I ride street and park). BUT it all depends on what YOU want and the type of riding you're going to be doing.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/3/2017 8:57 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Can you fakie good on a cassette ? It's harder to fakie a coaster then it is a cassette

Yeah I can fakie pretty decent on a cassette. Occasionally someone shows up with a freecoaster and I really enjoy riding it.

|

6/3/2017 8:57 PM

Cassette

I ran a coaster for 6 months. Took it off, as in unlaced my wheel. And threw it away. If you can fakie pedaling you have no real reason to switch. Most guys around here that run them have issues or never can get the slack right.

And you think like everyone (myself too when I bought one) that it's an advantage for fakies and stuff. By the time you have the pedal pressure and everything figured out you will no question be asking yourself "why did I buy this thing". Not hating on anyone who has them, but most people I know and many pro riders feel it's "cheating". Kinda like Indian Giving is considered by many "not 100% doing the trick right".

Now, I have rode a guys bike with a Profile Zcoaster and I feel like that is the future of hubs. It is not cheap, but can be run as a cassette or coaster with a "switch up" (so to speak) of your cranking. The learning curve is not too bad. I could have it in standard cassette or as a coaster in say 15min (remember wasn't even my bike).

Just a warning if you go coaster:
PRACTICE using it for a few days before you start busting say high 180 bar to fakie. Otherwise your shins and nuts will be sore 9 times out of 10. Only because your use to it engaging and it doesn't till the slack catches. You can always have it set very low slack. Still, you have a 1/8 crank till it engages or so depending on brand.

|

6/3/2017 8:58 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Just also keep in mind the Freecoaster has slack before it ingages so it will take a while to get used to, and with a Freecoaster you should always lube it and maintain it to keep it running smooth. But I personally ride a cassette and don't think I'll be switching to a coaster anytime soon (even though I ride street and park). BUT it all depends on what YOU want and the type of riding you're going to be doing.

I ride park and street as well. I really want a freecoaster but I don't know about maintaining them. With my cassette you know I just ride and that's that. So I have to take apart my freecoaster and lube it up often just to keep everything running smooth?

|

6/3/2017 9:01 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Cassette

I ran a coaster for 6 months. Took it off, as in unlaced my wheel. And threw it away. If you can fakie pedaling you have no real reason to switch. Most guys around here that run them have issues or never can get the slack right.

And you think like everyone (myself too when I bought one) that it's an advantage for fakies and stuff. By the time you have the pedal pressure and everything figured out you will no question be asking yourself "why did I buy this thing". Not hating on anyone who has them, but most people I know and many pro riders feel it's "cheating". Kinda like Indian Giving is considered by many "not 100% doing the trick right".

Now, I have rode a guys bike with a Profile Zcoaster and I feel like that is the future of hubs. It is not cheap, but can be run as a cassette or coaster with a "switch up" (so to speak) of your cranking. The learning curve is not too bad. I could have it in standard cassette or as a coaster in say 15min (remember wasn't even my bike).

Just a warning if you go coaster:
PRACTICE using it for a few days before you start busting say high 180 bar to fakie. Otherwise your shins and nuts will be sore 9 times out of 10. Only because your use to it engaging and it doesn't till the slack catches. You can always have it set very low slack. Still, you have a 1/8 crank till it engages or so depending on brand.

So it's kinda pointless to ride a freecoaster then? I mean just based on preferance? The bike shop I'm getting the bike through can only order certain brands like fit subrosa s$m wethepeople

|

6/3/2017 9:13 PM

Christian_andrew617 wrote:

So it's kinda pointless to ride a freecoaster then? I mean just based on preferance? The bike shop I'm getting the bike through can only order certain brands like fit subrosa s$m wethepeople

Absolutely not. The only people who I know say that is because they can't properly ride a coaster. I think riding a coaster is more fun than a cassette because they feel so smooth going backwards. If you want to learn how to ride and the bike you like has a coaster then why not! Learn on a coaster it'll only make you better because the balance is important to the fakie. For me personally and many people I know locally when they switched to the coaster they felt their bike rode better. I think it's just more fun. I tried putting a cassette back on my bike and it wasn't fun because going backwards w/o pedaling is awesome imo. If you end up getting a bike with a cassette you can simulate a coaster by taking off the chain. It's what I did and I found out to be really fun.

|

6/3/2017 9:14 PM

Are any of you guys familiar with Mafiabikes? If I wasn't going to ride a Begin 1 I was going to try a madmain complete

|

6/3/2017 9:16 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Cassette

I ran a coaster for 6 months. Took it off, as in unlaced my wheel. And threw it away. If you can fakie pedaling you have no real reason to switch. Most guys around here that run them have issues or never can get the slack right.

And you think like everyone (myself too when I bought one) that it's an advantage for fakies and stuff. By the time you have the pedal pressure and everything figured out you will no question be asking yourself "why did I buy this thing". Not hating on anyone who has them, but most people I know and many pro riders feel it's "cheating". Kinda like Indian Giving is considered by many "not 100% doing the trick right".

Now, I have rode a guys bike with a Profile Zcoaster and I feel like that is the future of hubs. It is not cheap, but can be run as a cassette or coaster with a "switch up" (so to speak) of your cranking. The learning curve is not too bad. I could have it in standard cassette or as a coaster in say 15min (remember wasn't even my bike).

Just a warning if you go coaster:
PRACTICE using it for a few days before you start busting say high 180 bar to fakie. Otherwise your shins and nuts will be sore 9 times out of 10. Only because your use to it engaging and it doesn't till the slack catches. You can always have it set very low slack. Still, you have a 1/8 crank till it engages or so depending on brand.

Christian_andrew617 wrote:

So it's kinda pointless to ride a freecoaster then? I mean just based on preferance? The bike shop I'm getting the bike through can only order certain brands like fit subrosa s$m wethepeople

Coopers25 wrote:

Absolutely not. The only people who I know say that is because they can't properly ride a coaster. I think riding a coaster is more fun than a cassette because they feel so smooth going backwards. If you want to learn how to ride and the bike you like has a coaster then why not! Learn on a coaster it'll only make you better because the balance is important to the fakie. For me personally and many people I know locally when they switched to the coaster they felt their bike rode better. I think it's just more fun. I tried putting a cassette back on my bike and it wasn't fun because going backwards w/o pedaling is awesome imo. If you end up getting a bike with a cassette you can simulate a coaster by taking off the chain. It's what I did and I found out to be really fun.

Damn that's cool thanks for that. I'm really feeling it and I want to try a coaster for my own but do you know anything about mafiabikes? I wanna try a hitmain if I don't get a complete with a coaster.

|

6/3/2017 9:35 PM

Go for Sunday or fit completes. I've never heard of or tried mafia, but I've ridden Sunday and fit that's good shit. Kink bikes are awesome too. Wethepeople is great of your options for bikes via shop

|

6/3/2017 9:44 PM

chiefndaily wrote:

Go for Sunday or fit completes. I've never heard of or tried mafia, but I've ridden Sunday and fit that's good shit. Kink bikes are awesome too. Wethepeople is great of your options for bikes via shop

Ill prolly end up going with the Begin 1 from fit just wanted to know about Mafiabikes

|

6/4/2017 10:34 AM

I think for park, cassette. For street, cassette as well. For me, I run a coaster on a staggered basis, but I always find myself going back to the cassette. I think for doing little fakie manual jibs and combining coaster moves with brakes are super fun, they're awesome, no doubt. But I find no real purpose of it elsewhere.

In nearly every street edit, I see a line and either say, "Wow, nice coaster usage" or, "Wow, he didn't need the coaster this entire edit" to myself. I dunno, maybe just me, but I'll go with cassette.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

6/5/2017 3:19 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Cassette

I ran a coaster for 6 months. Took it off, as in unlaced my wheel. And threw it away. If you can fakie pedaling you have no real reason to switch. Most guys around here that run them have issues or never can get the slack right.

And you think like everyone (myself too when I bought one) that it's an advantage for fakies and stuff. By the time you have the pedal pressure and everything figured out you will no question be asking yourself "why did I buy this thing". Not hating on anyone who has them, but most people I know and many pro riders feel it's "cheating". Kinda like Indian Giving is considered by many "not 100% doing the trick right".

Now, I have rode a guys bike with a Profile Zcoaster and I feel like that is the future of hubs. It is not cheap, but can be run as a cassette or coaster with a "switch up" (so to speak) of your cranking. The learning curve is not too bad. I could have it in standard cassette or as a coaster in say 15min (remember wasn't even my bike).

Just a warning if you go coaster:
PRACTICE using it for a few days before you start busting say high 180 bar to fakie. Otherwise your shins and nuts will be sore 9 times out of 10. Only because your use to it engaging and it doesn't till the slack catches. You can always have it set very low slack. Still, you have a 1/8 crank till it engages or so depending on brand.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

This is YOUR experience and YOUR opinion.

I have both a cassette and coaster, and both are fun in different ways.

I like that you say that you know many "pros" who think it is cheating, yet a HUGE number of pros run them. Honestly, what pros do you know that hate on coasters enough to spread their opinion to you?

They are a different style of riding. Just like brakes. It's different. Brakes are not cheating for fufanus any more than a coaster is cheating for a fakie. Is a coaster cheating in Flatland?

"If you can fakie pedaling you have no real reason to switch." -This is just an opinion. No facts presented here. Freecoasters are a fun aspect of riding, and you don't care for them. Cool.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/5/2017 4:50 PM

I'll stick with my cassette. Road a buddy's coaster and hated it

|

6/5/2017 7:27 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Cassette

I ran a coaster for 6 months. Took it off, as in unlaced my wheel. And threw it away. If you can fakie pedaling you have no real reason to switch. Most guys around here that run them have issues or never can get the slack right.

And you think like everyone (myself too when I bought one) that it's an advantage for fakies and stuff. By the time you have the pedal pressure and everything figured out you will no question be asking yourself "why did I buy this thing". Not hating on anyone who has them, but most people I know and many pro riders feel it's "cheating". Kinda like Indian Giving is considered by many "not 100% doing the trick right".

Now, I have rode a guys bike with a Profile Zcoaster and I feel like that is the future of hubs. It is not cheap, but can be run as a cassette or coaster with a "switch up" (so to speak) of your cranking. The learning curve is not too bad. I could have it in standard cassette or as a coaster in say 15min (remember wasn't even my bike).

Just a warning if you go coaster:
PRACTICE using it for a few days before you start busting say high 180 bar to fakie. Otherwise your shins and nuts will be sore 9 times out of 10. Only because your use to it engaging and it doesn't till the slack catches. You can always have it set very low slack. Still, you have a 1/8 crank till it engages or so depending on brand.

you sound like you've read more about bmx than rode one

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

6/5/2017 7:29 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Cassette

I ran a coaster for 6 months. Took it off, as in unlaced my wheel. And threw it away. If you can fakie pedaling you have no real reason to switch. Most guys around here that run them have issues or never can get the slack right.

And you think like everyone (myself too when I bought one) that it's an advantage for fakies and stuff. By the time you have the pedal pressure and everything figured out you will no question be asking yourself "why did I buy this thing". Not hating on anyone who has them, but most people I know and many pro riders feel it's "cheating". Kinda like Indian Giving is considered by many "not 100% doing the trick right".

Now, I have rode a guys bike with a Profile Zcoaster and I feel like that is the future of hubs. It is not cheap, but can be run as a cassette or coaster with a "switch up" (so to speak) of your cranking. The learning curve is not too bad. I could have it in standard cassette or as a coaster in say 15min (remember wasn't even my bike).

Just a warning if you go coaster:
PRACTICE using it for a few days before you start busting say high 180 bar to fakie. Otherwise your shins and nuts will be sore 9 times out of 10. Only because your use to it engaging and it doesn't till the slack catches. You can always have it set very low slack. Still, you have a 1/8 crank till it engages or so depending on brand.

ticaleb wrote:

you sound like you've read more about bmx than rode one

Who me or gack2000?

|

6/5/2017 7:43 PM

Christian_andrew617 wrote:

Who me or gack2000?

haha welcome to the internet ??

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check