Freecoaster?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/2/2020 9:30 AM

What is the best freecoaster on the market? I'm wanting to open up a new style of riding. The planetary sounds like it could be the best but I'm ruff on bikes and I've heard it's really hard to get parts. Any advice from people running free coasters would be great because 275 to 300 is pretty steep for a wheel

|

4/2/2020 9:50 AM

I run the madera gulf coaster best I've run by far I've also had a federal v1 khe geisha geisha lite astern and greyhound. If you dont want to drop a ton of money I recommend the shadow optimized. The optimized has a better resistance system then most khe clones. If you want to go all out I recommend zcoaster/gulfcoaster or the planetary.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

4/2/2020 10:50 AM

The madera is a profile hub so I'll definitely check that out

|

4/2/2020 11:39 AM

I mean, you don’t have to buy a whole wheel, just hub if you’re on a budget.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/2/2020 12:17 PM

Wheel is bent so I don't have a choice

|

4/2/2020 2:23 PM

I vote planetary but its expensive and relatively untested since its pretty new to the market still. I have one (I was actually the first in America wink and I love it. Unless I have some major issue where it locks up and sends me flying or something weird, i will be planetary for life or until something better comes along.

I also own the Clutch V2 and its been a super solid hub. I ended up setting it to max slack so there wasnt much reason for the adjustment aspect for me personally but if youre the type that love to tune your bike to your liking just perfect then it could be worth it to have the adjustability. Not to mention the axle is beefy as hell.

But ya, Im all for the planetary coaster! Its awesome.

|

4/2/2020 9:07 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I vote planetary but its expensive and relatively untested since its pretty new to the market still. I have one (I was actually the first in America wink and I love it. Unless I have some major issue where it locks up and sends me flying or something weird, i will be planetary for life or until something better comes along.

I also own the Clutch V2 and its been a super solid hub. I ended up setting it to max slack so there wasnt much reason for the adjustment aspect for me personally but if youre the type that love to tune your bike to your liking just perfect then it could be worth it to have the adjustability. Not to mention the axle is beefy as hell.

I'm REALLY itching to get that hub! What do you mean about the adjustability? Where would you see someone wanting more slack vs. less salacious that the free night hub offers?

|

4/2/2020 9:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2020 10:05 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm REALLY itching to get that hub! What do you mean about the adjustability? Where would you see someone wanting more slack vs. less salacious that the free night hub offers?

The only benifets a standard freecoaster has over the Freenight is silence and a bit more mental confidence in disengagement since it is 100 percent manual.

Its a similar thing to the automatic transmission vs manual. Manual is the way to go if you are experienced and dont mind dealing with the extra hassle of being the brains of the transmission. Auto is the way to go if you dont want to think and just focus on driving and pointing the car the way you wanna go. Automatics are getting more precise and as a result, manual transmissions are harder and harder to find.

The Freenight is the next step in the hub evolution. The standard freecoaster allows you to fakie and focus on the trick rather than foot position synchronization compared to a cassette. The Freenight takes it one step further by taking one less step setting up for fakie tricks. Less thought goes into a trick. You literally dont move your feet and hop or roll into a fakie and thats it. This allows you to focus on other things, freeing up your mind for more progression to take place.

I believe once more companies figure out a similar system to the freenight, it will become the new standard. The Freenight is the future if enough people give them a chance.

|

4/2/2020 10:50 PM

What rim did you lace your hub to? What size spokes did you use?

|

4/3/2020 3:24 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

What rim did you lace your hub to? What size spokes did you use?

I was the stock wheels and hubs that came off the 2019 fit Dugan

|

4/4/2020 8:02 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

This my friend has a planetary and I have a zcoaster and neither of us could imagine going back to a clutch based coaster.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

4/4/2020 9:26 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

threesomemist wrote:

This my friend has a planetary and I have a zcoaster and neither of us could imagine going back to a clutch based coaster.

Is the medera gulf coaster a clutch??

|

4/4/2020 9:32 AM

FiTFamily3 wrote:

Is the medera gulf coaster a clutch??

No. It's basically the same as the Z-Coaster.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson