Freecoaster Haters

Related:
Create New Tag

3/18/2014 1:21 PM

So I recently heard someone give a quick bash to freecoasters, and it made me think about the fact that they never really came into prominence until quite recently... People must have their reasons for not embracing the coaster / sticking with the cassette. Whether you just don't prefer them, or you flat-out hate them, what are some of your guys' reasons for disliking the increasingly popular freecoaster?

Note: I'm not trying to start arguments here, just am genuinely curious as to what people's opinions are.

|

3/18/2014 1:35 PM

There fun, im all for them. i personally cannot commit to one. i've tried and tried again but to no avail, im a cassette guy.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

3/18/2014 1:39 PM

Because..

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

3/18/2014 1:41 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

There fun, im all for them. i personally cannot commit to one. i've tried and tried again but to no avail, im a cassette guy.

I need the pedal pressure for certain tricks, i also like controlling my speed in fakies.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

3/18/2014 1:44 PM

I've got no problem with Freecoasters, in fact when I have the money I will get one. Everyone I know that dislikes them dislikes them because either:
'It's cheating' (I forgot there were rules to BMX)
They don't like the slack (Normally this is a reason why they wouldn't get one themselves, which is fair enough IMO).

|

3/18/2014 1:49 PM

I have ridden chainless several times and it was oretty fun.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/18/2014 1:51 PM

i dont hate them. I would probably ride them if it wasnt for the fucking slack! i tried to ride my friends and fell on my face because of the slack.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

3/18/2014 2:04 PM

I like them they open up trick opportunities
Variety is good in freestyle

|

3/18/2014 2:05 PM

All the kids that called me a pussy and telling me freecoasters were "cheating" when I got mine like 18 months ago are now desperately trying to buy my coaster. Fucking posers.

I think they're cool if they're utilized properly. But what people want to run is their own opinion. I just run a cassette because I rode mostly trails and concrete bowls.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

3/18/2014 2:13 PM

I bought one , because I actually wanted one to incorporate fakie lines in my style, right when they became a trend .They're difficult at first but really fun to ride. I'm still getting the hang of mine (Don't get how the engagement works 100% yet) .

They're fun especially if you like 180's. It feels amazing boosting a flyout 180 , landing fast , and being able to halfcab out clean.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/18/2014 3:23 PM

I hate them. I don't need one for my style of riding.

|

"Of course theyre compatible theyre cranks"

3/18/2014 3:27 PM

People who hate on things that they don't own or don't want to try, are a pretty sad bunch.

Myself, I just prefer the classic feel of a cassette. What's wrong with pedaling back? Nothing. Just as theres nothing wrong with coasting. We get caught up in the opinions of the many and quickly forget that freedom of choice is still a huge aspect in riding.

A lot of pros can do it all, it's a no brainer that they're jumping on coasters; who wouldn't want to explore a new style with all that skill? BMX is about testing yourself, if coasting is something you'd like to do theres nothing stopping you.

For me 'pedaling back' is natural a part of riding. I'm not done mastering what I've learned yet, so why switch?

keep it real

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/18/2014 3:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2014 3:43 PM

I think alot of the hate comes from those people who are just set in their ways and hate to see anything different come into bmx so they have to bash it. Others still see it as cheating because you don't have to backpedal blah blah blah. I'm psyched on coasters though, my favorite edits to watch by far are the smooth freecoaster riders like bruno hoffman, AK, brandon begin, Dennis Enarson.

|

3/18/2014 4:01 PM

Cassette Guys I'm gonna let you finish but freecoasters are the smartest move ever.

On a serious note I've had multiple coaster wheels throughout my riding years and currently I've managed to keep one on for a month. I really enjoy having a coaster because who wants to back pedal when you land fakie going 60? I really miss pedal pressure but I don't miss hearing my casette click. Plus I went pegless for a bit and the coaster added more creativity to the pegless fun

|

text-2485052073
email- kylenotkyle@gmail.com
refs i remember-sessionpro, beastassdick, joe green, scott p, zachery dallesa

3/18/2014 4:08 PM

I hate fakies without pedaling. Plus i just don't need one.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/18/2014 4:21 PM

A lot of people hate on free coasters just to fit in. If you think about it though, free coasters are like a doorway to tons more tricks that cant be done with a cassette.

|

3/18/2014 4:39 PM

I just hate slack. and have a hard time balancing without backpedaling

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

3/18/2014 4:44 PM

the_bmxist wrote:

Cassette Guys I'm gonna let you finish but freecoasters are the smartest move ever.

On a serious note I've had multiple coaster wheels throughout my riding years and currently I've managed to keep one on for a month. I really enjoy having a coaster because who wants to back pedal when you land fakie going 60? I really miss pedal pressure but I don't miss hearing my casette click. Plus I went pegless for a bit and the coaster added more creativity to the pegless fun

Well I never go backwards, so are they still the smartest move ever?

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

3/18/2014 4:54 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Well I never go backwards, so are they still the smartest move ever?

It's not my fault you don't go backwards. Backwards is fun for me

|

text-2485052073
email- kylenotkyle@gmail.com
refs i remember-sessionpro, beastassdick, joe green, scott p, zachery dallesa

3/18/2014 4:55 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

All the kids that called me a pussy and telling me freecoasters were "cheating" when I got mine like 18 months ago are now desperately trying to buy my coaster. Fucking posers.

I think they're cool if they're utilized properly. But what people want to run is their own opinion. I just run a cassette because I rode mostly trails and concrete bowls.

Probably because the cool guys (Aaron Ross) ride them now.

|

I come from a land known as BMX-Forum.

refs: pcoco(x2), aw1234512, bmxscout48, DARECK(trade), Showtime402, and a couple others from BMX-Forum

3/18/2014 5:36 PM

I like the engagement of cassettes. I've heard from a bunch of people that they never knew how much pedal pressure they used for tricks and I'd rather not relearn them haha. The only plus I could really think of is hauling ass backwards down the street. Imagine the looks you'd get haha

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

3/18/2014 5:48 PM

because they are for flatland or 180/540ing 15+stairs

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

3/18/2014 6:21 PM

bmxfromma wrote:

I like the engagement of cassettes. I've heard from a bunch of people that they never knew how much pedal pressure they used for tricks and I'd rather not relearn them haha. The only plus I could really think of is hauling ass backwards down the street. Imagine the looks you'd get haha

This ! The day I first tried a coaster I could even 180 a bank

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/18/2014 8:50 PM

I've wanted a coaster for about 3-4 years now just I couldn't commit to one due to their frailness. The lastest releases seem to be abit better.

I've managed to nab myself a second hand cult wheel for less than the hubs cost so I'm happy to give that a try when I go grab the wheel.

I only ride once or twice a fortnight due to work commitments so I'll be on a long slow learning curve

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

3/18/2014 9:10 PM

Its not that i hate them, i just need one because of the fact that i ride dirt (honestly hitting a jumo backward would be fun as hell though). The only thing i dont like aboit them is the whole trend factor and that most people only want one because everyone else is getting ine

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

3/19/2014 11:51 AM

I have nothing against them and i think they are a good innovation I just prefer cassette as I am used to pedalling backwards whilst doing fakies. Also i dont quite understand why they think it is cheating as pedal pressure makes tricks a lot harder to do if you are going forwards but the fact you don't have to pedal whilst doing fakies makes backwards tricks easier. So in my opinion cassettes are for doing shit forwards, coasters are for doing shit backwards

|

3/19/2014 8:09 PM

dartmoor has new one that can be converted from cassette to freecoaster, and vice versa. is that unique?

|

3/19/2014 8:20 PM

zzzxtreme wrote:

dartmoor has new one that can be converted from cassette to freecoaster, and vice versa. is that unique?

Noopppeee

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/20/2014 7:40 AM

I like pedaling backwards

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

3/20/2014 4:10 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

i dont hate them. I would probably ride them if it wasnt for the fucking slack! i tried to ride my friends and fell on my face because of the slack.

You get used to it.

|