Freecoaster Trend?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2013 2:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2013 2:01 PM

What do you guys think of the growing popularity of coasters? Do you think it will evolve into a trend? Are you surprised to see some of these riders making the switch to coasters? What is your opinion on coasters? I've seen quite a few riders on coasters such as Aaron Ross, Ty Morrow, Sean Sexton, Bruno Hoffman and I know I'm forgetting some.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/18/2013 2:12 PM

I haven't ridden a Freecoaster for about 4 or 5 years now. I rode one for about a year. I got fed up with reliability issues in the end. I can see the popularity, OK there's all the arguments for opening up new tricks & all that jazz but my view on the popularity of Freecoasters (Other than peoples favorite riders are running one) is they are FUN. Once you learn to fakie properly you basically link different tricks together or just weird people out flying past them backwards haha.

|

7/18/2013 2:13 PM

I definitely see it evolving into a trend. So many companies are working on one and now that people are actually trying to innovate them instead of just throwing some khe internals into a branded shell i think it's only going to get bigger. I'm psyched for it personally because i love the smooth coaster style and it just opens doors for more creative tricks.

|

7/18/2013 2:19 PM

agreed, i think it is happening now because riders are wanting a variation in what they do and something to spice things up a bit. well, thats why i'm planning on one lol

|

Bruh

7/18/2013 2:25 PM

I think more an more riders are riding them to maybe stand out from others in their edits because let's face it a lot of street riding edits are getting stale, same tricks over and over just different spots and setups. It does open up more possibilities and I think that's also the reason.

I am waiting for the eclat to come out, not sure if I will end up riding it full time tho, Just when I wanna switch things up a little, I'm all for the freecoaster revolution tho, variety being the spice of life an all that.

Bring on the long backwards manuals I say.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

7/18/2013 2:31 PM

Yeah I see the new trends are like huge tires, huge bars, 4 piece bars, 4 pegs, free coasters, front brakes, fat seats, higher seats etc, trans colors, chrome/polished/oilslick/rasta obviously lol, topload stems etc.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/18/2013 2:33 PM

Creative/Different riding is becoming trendy i've noticed. More coasters/4Pc bars. People got bored of the Garrett Reynolds/Chad Kerley shit and started doing cool shit. For the better I think.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.
I got refs

7/18/2013 2:40 PM

Glad to see everyone is now open to change. I remember in like 2008-2009 everyone hated coasters and was afraid of change. Nice to see that we're all open to change

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/18/2013 2:44 PM

I remember when i first started i had a coaster and everyone would call me a dumbass now most the people i ride with have coasters.

Personally i dont like em anymore i rode my friends bike with a coaster and it felt awkward to me, ill just stick with cassettes

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

7/18/2013 2:44 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just a trend it's not gonna be the new standard, but I can see it growing bigger.
I can see kids combining "classic" street with free coasters and come up with cool stuff, such as AK.
I highly doubt Charlie Crumlish stuff/setups are gonna show up but you never know.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

7/18/2013 2:48 PM

I guess everyone is different for me I have just kinda stuck with the trends of when I started riding like what are now medium-small bars 8-8.3x 26-28 big bars feel like shit to me, frontload with none or few spacers, 25/9 gear ratio, pegless, low slim seat, brakeless (I'm lazy but plan to run them), light bikes, cassette.

As far as freecoasters or cassettes I prefer cassette, I'm used to it and think fakies look cooler with them. As far as pros riding free coasters, I don't know I don't really watch any bmx videos.

|

7/18/2013 2:51 PM

Four wrote:

I guess everyone is different for me I have just kinda stuck with the trends of when I started riding like what are now medium-small bars 8-8.3x 26-28 big bars feel like shit to me, frontload with none or few spacers, 25/9 gear ratio, pegless, low slim seat, brakeless (I'm lazy but plan to run them), light bikes, cassette.

As far as freecoasters or cassettes I prefer cassette, I'm used to it and think fakies look cooler with them. As far as pros riding free coasters, I don't know I don't really watch any bmx videos.

I agree on the fakies looking better but you gotta admit some slide out fakies with freecoasters look real smooth.
Saw one on the OSS edit but can't remember who it was.

|

7/18/2013 2:54 PM

I hate change.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

7/18/2013 2:54 PM

andyferly wrote:

I agree on the fakies looking better but you gotta admit some slide out fakies with freecoasters look real smooth.
Saw one on the OSS edit but can't remember who it was.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, watching Karl Poytner, Seth Kimbrough and Ian Schwartz ride is awesome they're some of my favorite riders and the reason I wanted a fc long before it was a trend.

|

7/18/2013 2:57 PM

Four wrote:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, watching Karl Poytner, Seth Kimbrough and Ian Schwartz ride is awesome they're some of my favorite riders and the reason I wanted a fc long before it was a trend.

I myself couldn't see myself riding a freecoaster, it's just not my thing.
I originally planned to lace one up to a spare ribcage I had lying around but I'm probably gonna replace it instead of my front birdcage, I just want to have ribs front and back again.

|

7/18/2013 3:00 PM

Some coaster shit looks cool as fuck, but if they get all popular i reckon boring shit will be done with one, Fakie manuals, sliders, hops down stuff, Bruce Crisman knows how to use one, not fucking Chad Kerley, anyone see the video of him riding a coaster on connor loades instagram?

|

I got refs

7/18/2013 3:02 PM

zenith111 wrote:

Some coaster shit looks cool as fuck, but if they get all popular i reckon boring shit will be done with one, Fakie manuals, sliders, hops down stuff, Bruce Crisman knows how to use one, not fucking Chad Kerley, anyone see the video of him riding a coaster on connor loades instagram?

I did not see it I don't follow anything like that but Chad Kerley is one of the fucking most boring riders. Him and Ricany, Garret etc.

|

7/18/2013 3:04 PM

zenith111 wrote:

Four wrote:

I did not see it I don't follow anything like that but Chad Kerley is one of the fucking most boring riders. Him and Ricany, Garret etc.

Dude, chad kerley is a beast, so is garret so idk what you are talking about over rated a little but they are goood!

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

7/18/2013 3:04 PM

andyferly wrote:

I myself couldn't see myself riding a freecoaster, it's just not my thing.
I originally planned to lace one up to a spare ribcage I had lying around but I'm probably gonna replace it instead of my front birdcage, I just want to have ribs front and back again.

Same here. I always just get wheels and leave them alone until I have to true them haha. I've got a spare set of hazard lites I might lace if I ever find some hubs at a decent price. Otherwise they'll be spares.

|

7/18/2013 3:05 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

Dude, chad kerley is a beast, so is garret so idk what you are talking about over rated a little but they are goood!

Yeah, they're good riders, but not the shit I like, they just do the same shit, bars, 5's, nose shit, whips and maybe a fakie variation.

|

I got refs

7/18/2013 3:06 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

They can do plenty of tricks sure, but they are boring as fuck and repetitive with a boring style. I have never been a fan of either really.

|

7/18/2013 3:06 PM

zenith111 wrote:

Four wrote:

There are so many, just the same boring shit. It's freestyle, do something cool that the bloke before you didn't do.

|

I got refs

7/18/2013 3:12 PM

zenith111 wrote:

There are so many, just the same boring shit. It's freestyle, do something cool that the bloke before you didn't do.

Yup exactly what ya said before too. The whole grinds barspin hang 5 nose manual shit is boring.

|

7/18/2013 3:13 PM

Four wrote:

zenith111 wrote:

Four wrote:

Yup exactly what ya said before too. The whole grinds barspin hang 5 nose manual shit is boring.

Been done to death, Randy Taylor was one of the only few who made noses look cool in modern street.

|

I got refs

7/18/2013 3:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2013 3:16 PM

zenith111 wrote:

Been done to death, Randy Taylor was one of the only few who made noses look cool in modern street.

Yup. I'm not a huge street fan as a lot is repetitive but Scerbo is fucking rad though, one of my favorite street riders.

|

7/18/2013 3:16 PM

Four wrote:

Mikel8149 wrote:

Four wrote:

They can do plenty of tricks sure, but they are boring as fuck and repetitive with a boring style. I have never been a fan of either really.

The thing with chad is he overdoes manuals, and personally I just find them boring.

|

7/18/2013 3:25 PM

Four wrote:

zenith111 wrote:

Four wrote:

Yup. I'm not a huge street fan as a lot is repetitive but Scerbo is fucking rad though, one of my favorite street riders.

There are few good ones scattered about, Scerbo, Edwin, Eddie C, Latane Coghill, Neil Hise, Hanson Little, Cardona, Ashely Charles, KC Badger, Wolfman, Rob Ridge. I know a few of them barely ride street, but they do make it look fucking cool.

|

I got refs

7/18/2013 3:28 PM

I think what we got to remember is that these overdone tricks might be boring for us to watch becuase we've seen them over and over but to the guys doing em its fun and challenging for them, i guess its not down to us viewers to say what tricks a rider should or shouldn't do in an edit, but we as riders have a responsibility to progress the sport in whatever direction we choose, as a wise man once said...

... "be the change you wish to see in the world"

Mahatma gandi.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

7/18/2013 3:38 PM

I got bored of my freecoaster in 6 months really. All I really did was fakie hops and half cabs off stuff and full cabs on flat, all of which I can do on a cassette now. Plus I like the engagement of the cassette and I feel more comfortable going backwards on a cassette because I can control my speed.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

7/18/2013 4:31 PM

Four wrote:

Yeah I see the new trends are like huge tires, huge bars, 4 piece bars, 4 pegs, free coasters, front brakes, fat seats, higher seats etc, trans colors, chrome/polished/oilslick/rasta obviously lol, topload stems etc.

Front brakes? How many front brake riders are out there right now? What do you mean, "trending?" The rest of that is pretty accurate though

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard