Freecoaster chain is messed up

Related:
Create New Tag

2/11/2017 10:20 AM

So I have a 2017 wtp crysis and I just noticed the other day thst sometimes when I stand up and petal (about 4 times a mile) the pedal will go down with no effort, causing me to slam my.knee against the handlebars and almost fall off everytime. I took it to a bike shop and the guy said it was fine. It is a freecoaster, and I am not pedaling backwards then forwards so that's not the cause. Help please

|

2/11/2017 11:14 AM

It's called slack you need it otherwise when you land backwards your going to fly off your bike. Your bike is fine

|

2/11/2017 11:39 AM

Think i had your problem before. Is your hub having slack without cranking back? Or do you crank back then forward and not realize that there's slack?

|

2/11/2017 11:54 AM

Check your springs and pawls, and spacing inside the hub

|

2/11/2017 1:50 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

It's called slack you need it otherwise when you land backwards your going to fly off your bike. Your bike is fine

I've never had this problem before though. I've had my bike for over a month

|

2/11/2017 1:51 PM

joshcooldude wrote:

Think i had your problem before. Is your hub having slack without cranking back? Or do you crank back then forward and not ...more

My hub is having slack without cranking back... do you know what to do?

|

2/11/2017 1:52 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Check your springs and pawls, and spacing inside the hub

How do I know if something is wrong with them?

|

2/11/2017 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2017 3:12 PM

Aren't coasters supposed to do that? It's called slack.

|

2/11/2017 5:54 PM

It's just slack, freecoasters disengage themselves when you stop pedaling otherwise it'd be like a fixie. You're not supposed to crank down really hard anyways, catch up to the slack and then you can pedal as hard as you like. If you're running a small sprocket it can be hard to do at speed, 28-9 is a nice balance between having slack and being able to go fast.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/11/2017 8:18 PM

This is why a cassette should be run.

:D

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/11/2017 9:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2017 9:42 PM

A little bit of slack is normal when you stop cranking, but if its disengaging all the way you have a problem. OP is saying that his hub is having slack without cranking back and disengaging the hub, not that they crank back and then it disengages. I had this problem with my freemix and me nor my lbs figured out how to fix it. I'd say email wtp about it

|

2/11/2017 10:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2017 10:22 PM

joshcooldude wrote:

A little bit of slack is normal when you stop cranking, but if its disengaging all the way you have a problem. OP is saying ...more

I have had it happen with KHE, Cult and Primo coasters where it'd go to almost the full quarter crank of slack without a backpedal. The only coaster I've had/used that it doesn't happen on is the Odyssey Clutch.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/12/2017 6:06 AM

joshcooldude wrote:

A little bit of slack is normal when you stop cranking, but if its disengaging all the way you have a problem. OP is saying ...more

Ok. Thank you

|

2/12/2017 9:27 AM

Yup coasters do suck. Heavy, and fragile at the same time. Get a cassette.

|

2/12/2017 10:12 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I have had it happen with KHE, Cult and Primo coasters where it'd go to almost the full quarter crank of slack without a ...more

Yea exact same thing happened to me on my freemix but instead i could go 1+ complete cranks without it engaging. i love my clutch it's extremely simple my only problem is the noise you have to deal with while breaking it in

|

2/12/2017 11:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2017 11:30 AM

joshcooldude wrote:

Yea exact same thing happened to me on my freemix but instead i could go 1+ complete cranks without it engaging. i love my ...more

1+ full cranks means the spring-loaded ball bearings that hold the clutch are flat-spotted, there's a groove worn in the clutch or both. You can replace the clutch or the bearings.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson