Freecoaster help

Related:
Create New Tag

3/13/2011 2:58 PM

So this is my first day riding my freecoaster and i noitced a weird buzzing noise coming from it. i thought they were suppost to be dead silent. is soething wrong with it? ik im a freecoaster noob. but its my first day on one. HELP

|

3/13/2011 3:05 PM

sounds odd take it apart and rebuild it again

|

bike check smile

STAY FIT

3/13/2011 3:06 PM

are u sure its not the tire rubbing?

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

3/13/2011 3:09 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

yeah I was thinking that, kinda sounds like it.

You may have knocked your wheel out of line by landing sideways or catching a peg. check it.

|

3/13/2011 3:09 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

no i hear it directly comming from the hub and its a new wheel it wont be out of tru.

|

3/13/2011 3:10 PM

its brand fucking new too. like 3 days old. this is my first day riding it cuz of rain.

|

3/13/2011 3:11 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

i like too bike wrote:

no i hear it directly comming from the hub and its a new wheel it wont be out of tru.

not out of true it could have shifted in the dropouts. double check

|

3/13/2011 3:12 PM

that doesnt sound like the hub at all, but i could be wrong.
its a new hub aswell so it shouldnt be broken already

|

3/13/2011 3:17 PM

just double checked its 100% not the tires.

|

3/13/2011 3:18 PM

i like too bike wrote:

just double checked its 100% not the tires.

I know squat about coasters so I can't suggest anything else. Wait for wearnikes and justride to see this, they both run coasters and may be able to help.

|

3/13/2011 3:18 PM

ive heard of this happening before but i dont remember what it was. searchbar it

|

refs:JakeSalbert whirls32 BEASTASSDICKwink bobPA tony larson bmx brentrides
fondue:"BMX is like weed. You can buy bongs and pipes, but smoking is illegal. Next time tell the cop you have a prescription to bmx"
first member of the fortnight EVERJULY 1ST -14TH

3/13/2011 3:21 PM

gouldbmx wrote:

ive heard of this happening before but i dont remember what it was. searchbar it

i just searched it and nothing about buzzing noises. just about it not engaging.

|

3/13/2011 5:54 PM

i've never heard this before, the only thing spinning in that direction is the bearings so they could be touching something within the hub.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

3/13/2011 5:55 PM

Your clutch might have fell off the pin thing on the axle. Take it apart and put it back together.

|

3/13/2011 5:57 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

Your clutch might have fell off the pin thing on the axle. Take it apart and put it back together.

it can't do that, there isn't enough room.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

3/13/2011 5:59 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

ill try. i dont have to regrease it do i? its only like 3 days old. and like if i leave it will it fuck up?

|

3/13/2011 6:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2011 6:01 PM

cupovjoe wrote:

When I first got my freecoaster, the clutch fell off the pin (I'm assuming during shipping), and it made a similar sound...
There is more room on the Astern and V2 hubs because of not having spacers.

|

3/13/2011 6:03 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

cupovjoe wrote:

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

When I first got my freecoaster, the clutch fell off the pin (I'm assuming during shipping), and it made a similar sound...

off the pin? are you sure? you mean the little balls that give friction to the clutch right?

there really isn't enough room for it to fall off, its held pretty solid by the driver screw and any movement towards the drive side would end in engagement.

|

Bike check?

3/13/2011 6:05 PM

mine did this for the first week and stopped

|

i cracked my b-rad therefor i am a cool kitty cat!
facebook

my baby deliyla

3/13/2011 6:05 PM

cupovjoe wrote:

off the pin? are you sure? you mean the little balls that give friction to the clutch right?

there really isn't enough room for it to fall off, its held pretty solid by the driver screw and any movement towards the drive side would end in engagement.

Yeah I'm positive. I was so mad when I put my freecoaster on my bike the first time and it was making that sound. Then I took it apart, and the clutch wasn't on, so I just took that time to take a look at everything, and then I cleaned it, greased it, and put it back together, and I haven't had a problem since.

|

3/13/2011 6:07 PM

collinbikesalot wrote:

hmm. maybe ill wait like a week or 2. it only makes the noise sometimes its only consistant when really fast. but if i leave it will it mess up the berrings or something?

|

3/13/2011 6:10 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

cupovjoe wrote:

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

Yeah I'm positive. I was so mad when I put my freecoaster on my bike the first time and it was making that sound. Then I took it apart, and the clutch wasn't on, so I just took that time to take a look at everything, and then I cleaned it, greased it, and put it back together, and I haven't had a problem since.

i'm really confused as to how that could happen. like there is literally no room for that to happen.

i mean, yeah, if you take the coaster apart, the clutch won't be attached. but i can't even understand how that is even physically possible. like even when the hub is engaged it can't come off those pins, and thats the farthest it can go in that direction.

|

Bike check?

3/13/2011 6:11 PM

collinbikesalot wrote:

i like too bike wrote:

hmm. maybe ill wait like a week or 2. it only makes the noise sometimes its only consistant when really fast. but if i leave it will it mess up the berrings or something?

not sure i mean i got mine christmas it did it for a week and im still riding it today

|

i cracked my b-rad therefor i am a cool kitty cat!
facebook

my baby deliyla

3/13/2011 6:12 PM

ill just take it into my local shop. cuz theres a dude who has a freecoaster that works in there just gotta find out what days he works.

|

3/13/2011 6:13 PM

The clutch is rubbing on the spot it catches on inside the hub when it engages, I have seen a lot of coaster brakes do this lately. (Similar internals). What kind of slack are you running? It you have almost 0 slack, this could be the cause. Also, pop it apart and add some grease to the outside of the clutch. If the grease inside is thicker, replace it with a slightly thinner grease. I use Park Tool Polylube 1000, and for winter (it is cold as fuck here and grease thickens) I thin it up with chain lube.

Try that, maybe make a short video of the hub as you pull it apart and post it so we can help further.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/13/2011 6:13 PM

cupovjoe wrote:

i'm really confused as to how that could happen. like there is literally no room for that to happen.

i mean, yeah, if you take the coaster apart, the clutch won't be attached. but i can't even understand how that is even physically possible. like even when the hub is engaged it can't come off those pins, and thats the farthest it can go in that direction.

It was off the pin, but basically pressed against it.

|

3/13/2011 6:17 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

The clutch is rubbing on the spot it catches on inside the hub when it engages, I have seen a lot of coaster brakes do this lately. (Similar internals). What kind of slack are you running? It you have almost 0 slack, this could be the cause. Also, pop it apart and add some grease to the outside of the clutch. If the grease inside is thicker, replace it with a slightly thinner grease. I use Park Tool Polylube 1000, and for winter (it is cold as fuck here and grease thickens) I thin it up with chain lube.

Try that, maybe make a short video of the hub as you pull it apart and post it so we can help further.

shit. im sorta scared to take it apart haha. seems super complicated. and what do u mean by what type of slack. its externaly adjustable about 3inch of movement. and its brand new so do i have to grease it. doesnt it already come greased?

|

3/13/2011 6:18 PM

oh and thanks for the help so far everyone!!!
|

3/13/2011 6:19 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

i was also thinking maybe this.

he could have too much grease on the outside of the clutch so that when it rubs it doesn't catch like it usually does when engaged.

|

Bike check?

3/13/2011 6:21 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

i like too bike wrote:

shit. im sorta scared to take it apart haha. seems super complicated. and what do u mean by what type of slack. its externaly adjustable about 3inch of movement. and its brand new so do i have to grease it. doesnt it already come greased?

freecoasters are easier to remember about than cassettes. basically there are four parts, the driver, clutch, axle, and hubshell with bearings.

and you should learn to service it now rather than later. go to the khe site and learn how to take it apart. there is a step by step.

|

Bike check?