Freecoasters: eclat blind vs Odyssey clutch

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2015 4:02 PM

Hi, I'm looking for a freecoaster and got some questions for you, guys.
1: When odyssey clutch will be available in europe ?
2: Can you adjust slack on eclat blind hub ?
Also, I would like to hear your opinions about these hubs, problems and etc..

|

8/6/2015 4:37 PM

id wait a few months \
eclat blind had a lot of problems, clutch just came out and its too early to tell imo

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/6/2015 6:18 PM

I have the blind hub, and there isn't a way to adjust slack (no need to anyway). I have no idea about the clutch being available in Europe, but it looks like an awesome hub!

|

8/6/2015 6:29 PM

The clutch is available on sourcebmx and I think they do international shipping. Can't comment on freecoasters as I've never riden one haha. Once I build my dirt bike around my birthday I may get a clutch laced to a 777 or something. I would say go for the clutch over the blind as it looks like an amazing design and just seems tougher and more durable than other freecoasters

|

8/6/2015 8:11 PM

As much as I love Eclat to death , I value honesty and the Blind seems like it had some major faults , don't know too much about it now but I'd wait for a V2 or something before I hop on either , or at least wait a bit for more reviews

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/6/2015 9:07 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

id wait a few months \
eclat blind had a lot of problems, clutch just came out and its too early to tell imo

I completely agree with this !
So you can get a KHE based proven coaster (fiend, colony, wtp...) and being sure of what you buy. (avoid primo, the slack cannot be adjust).
Or you can experiment the clutch, the only bad thing about it is I haven't seen a version with a true male axle, the driver side has just a precise place to fit the dropout, so if you put a drive side guard... you cannot put the wheel on the frame...

|

8/6/2015 9:15 PM

Francky wrote:

So you can get a KHE based proven coaster (fiend, colony, wtp...) and being sure of what you buy. (avoid primo, the slack cannot be adjust).
Or you can experiment the clutch, the only bad thing about it is I haven't seen a version with a true male axle, the driver side has just a precise place to fit the dropout, so if you put a drive side guard... you cannot put the wheel on the frame...

You can use the 3/8's gsport uniguard to fit the driver side outside the dropout. I would think if you used a universal 14mm guard you can find a 3/8's to 14mm adaptor for the driveside bolt so it could fit the frame

|

8/6/2015 9:29 PM

Francky wrote:

Just get adapters. Female axles are much stronger and much better overall than male axles.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/6/2015 9:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2015 9:39 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

id wait a few months \

Francky wrote:

Coopers25 wrote:

You can use the 3/8's gsport uniguard to fit the driver side outside the dropout. I would think if you used a universal 14mm guard you can find a 3/8's to 14mm adaptor for the driveside bolt so it could fit the frame

Yeah so it´s possible to protect the drive side but that´s not really thinked for.
I personnaly use the kink drive side guard, it´s the best one we can get because it´s not plastic, but even better, the "nick" (not sure about this word) who fit the dropout make it really easy to use because you don't have to worrying about it while tightening the chain.
Photo

But this is exactly the kind of guard who doesn't fit the clutch hub.

|

8/6/2015 9:48 PM

Francky wrote:

Yeah so it´s possible to protect the drive side but that´s not really thinked for.
I personnaly use the kink drive side guard, it´s the best one we can get because it´s not plastic, but even better, the "nick" (not sure about this word) who fit the dropout make it really easy to use because you don't have to worrying about it while tightening the chain.
Photo

But this is exactly the kind of guard who doesn't fit the clutch hub.

3/8's Gsport uniguard will fit the drive side of the hub. again If you dont want to use the Gsport guard then im sure dropout adaptors will fix the problem

|

8/7/2015 4:23 AM

yeah, I found the clutch freecoaster on sourcebmx, and the price is 200GBP, when eclat costs only 110GBP.
what's about wtp helix freecoaster ? it looks so sweet in oil slick :D

|

8/7/2015 8:13 AM

LTsmash11 wrote:

yeah, I found the clutch freecoaster on sourcebmx, and the price is 200GBP, when eclat costs only 110GBP.
what's about wtp helix freecoaster ? it looks so sweet in oil slick :D

The Clutch is still the better option. More durable in every way.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/7/2015 8:21 AM

What about a SaltPlus Trapez freecoaster? I mean, it's cheap, its a free coaster, it has slack, and cassette mode, and is strong too....

BUT...

Looking on the question above, I'll go with the Odyssey Clutch.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

8/7/2015 11:03 AM

Z coaster seems like the best thing going , if you got the cash , loving my demolition though

|

8/7/2015 11:33 AM

I had the blind for about 6 months and for about 2 of the 6 months I had no problems with the hub coasting. It was great. Then the first spring broke and the hub never could hold a spring in there without it snapping within two days. About a month ago I replaced it with a cult coaster which has held up great I don't have to worry about the hub not working. Engagement wise The hub felt exactly like a cassette hub (when engaged) which is a huge plus to me it felt super good. Slack wise I felt the hub could have used a tiny bit more slack. Every time I went to full cab or half cab off of a curb or fakie hop the hub would sometimes engage on me. I'd say there would be about 1/5 of a crank before the hub engaged. I think 1/4 crank would have been better. Now that the odyssey clutch hub is out I would get that because I have 100% trust in Odyssey and from the videos explaining the hub I have a good feeling that this hub is the best coaster hub out there

|