Freenight freecoaster. Freecoaster with pedal pressure?!?!?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2018 6:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2018 12:47 PM

First off, I want to say Doug (Bulletpup) brought this to my attention and I find it extremely interesting.

So a feeecoaster that had a cassette driver and has endless slack while riding fakie.

WHAT THE FUCK!

This thing's insane and figured I'd share it and see what y'all think of it!! I think it's pretty badass, I think I'd try one if I need a new coasterwhen this comes out...
|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/29/2018 6:10 AM

Yeah I've seen that. I want to see the internals

|

11/29/2018 6:29 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah I've seen that. I want to see the internals

Yeah same! It won't be out for a while, so I doubt they'll show pics of the internals just yet...

Because I'm insanely intrigued buy how you can pedal all the way forward while riding fakieblink

|

11/29/2018 6:39 AM

Photo
...the part at the bottom concerns me
|

11/29/2018 6:46 AM

NateBrown62 wrote: Photo

Yeah, but pedaling forward on any coaster while riding fakie isn't the best for it. So I don't think it's a huge deal.

|

11/29/2018 6:49 AM

NateBrown62 wrote: Photo

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah, but pedaling forward on any coaster while riding fakie isn't the best for it. So I don't think it's a huge deal.

But doesn't that mean that it pretty much doesn't do what the claims say? It says it's possible but it depends on the speed so pretty much it's extremely inconsistent at doing the only thing that separates it from other coasters on the market already

|

11/29/2018 7:02 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

But doesn't that mean that it pretty much doesn't do what the claims say? It says it's possible but it depends on the speed so pretty much it's extremely inconsistent at doing the only thing that separates it from other coasters on the market already

Watch the video. It shows them pedaling forward while the wheel is going backwards..

|

11/29/2018 7:25 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Watch the video. It shows them pedaling forward while the wheel is going backwards..

It doesn't though. It shows the guy demonstrating how you can pedal forward one revolution while the wheel is going backwards but none of the riding clips backs this up

|

11/29/2018 8:07 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Swaggy P wrote:

It doesn't though. It shows the guy demonstrating how you can pedal forward one revolution while the wheel is going backwards but none of the riding clips backs this up

This is what I mean about wanting to see the internals. It has to engage and disengage somehow. Even the z coaster has slack when it's in freecoaster mode. I can't see how you can fakie without having to disengage it. And I can't see how it stays freecoaster without slack.
Not saying it isn't possible, just that I'm curious about a new technology.

|

11/29/2018 8:40 AM

I'd guess a similar manner to the Ezra coaster BUT instead of forward pedal movement catching due to the slack disc design (that essentially put the pawls up to catch), this setup has a mechanism to force it to either roll forward or have the guts cranked forward hard to catch...kinda like a planetary gear system.

Photo

Interesting to say the least.

Perhaps a play off that new driver mechanism that (I think) eclat has going?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/29/2018 8:47 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

This is what I mean about wanting to see the internals. It has to engage and disengage somehow. Even the z coaster has slack when it's in freecoaster mode. I can't see how you can fakie without having to disengage it. And I can't see how it stays freecoaster without slack.
Not saying it isn't possible, just that I'm curious about a new technology.

Yeah exactly. It makes no sense to me how this hub is going to work lol. I really want to see the internalsw00t

|

11/29/2018 8:49 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'd guess a similar manner to the Ezra coaster BUT instead of forward pedal movement catching due to the slack disc design (that essentially put the pawls up to catch), this setup has a mechanism to force it to either roll forward or have the guts cranked forward hard to catch...kinda like a planetary gear system.

Photo

Yeah the new Eclat cassette looks like it's gonna be way rad too!! From what I've seen if I were to get a cassette again I'd probably get that new Eclat one if some people have ridden it and proved its durability and function.

|

11/29/2018 9:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Photo

That makes sense. Not sure how durable that could be though, considering it all has to fit inside a bmx hub with a 14mm axle?
It reminds me of a sturmey archer hub, which are a ball ache to strip and rebuild. Although this would be simpler

|

11/29/2018 12:19 PM

Interesting. I won't be getting much sleep tonight thinking about how it works tho...

|

11/29/2018 12:52 PM

This is madly scientific.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

11/29/2018 6:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2018 6:25 PM

As long as its burly internally and they release a female version (which they confirmed when I asked them), I will buy one in the future.

|

11/29/2018 11:17 PM

The real question is... Will it crankflip?tongue

I'll get one if they're not turning out way too expensive.

|

11/30/2018 2:50 AM

This post shows pedalling forward while coasting. I don’t understand it either.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

11/30/2018 3:13 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

That's cool as heck

|

11/30/2018 3:24 AM

Rabbe wrote:

That's cool as heck

How tho

|

11/30/2018 4:42 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Rabbe wrote:

That's cool as heck

Spongeworthy wrote:

How tho

Lmao I want to know how it works toosad

|

11/30/2018 4:46 AM

I've been thinking about it more, and this hub is like it's own type of hub. Cuz it's really not a coaster, but it's really not a cassette lol.

Boom, I got it, it's a coastettecoollaughing

|

11/30/2018 4:48 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I've been thinking about it more, and this hub is like it's own type of hub. Cuz it's really not a coaster, but it's really not a cassette lol.

Boom, I got it, it's a coastettecoollaughing

I prefer casoaster.

|

11/30/2018 4:54 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

I prefer casoaster.

Coastette rolls offthe tongue easierlaughing

|

11/30/2018 5:10 AM

Is it not a freecassette?

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

11/30/2018 5:52 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Coastette rolls offthe tongue easierlaughing

You say tomato I say tomato

|

11/30/2018 5:53 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Is it not a freecassette?

But cassettes aren't freedizzy

|

11/30/2018 5:59 AM

Toaster

|

11/30/2018 8:27 AM

Fauxcoaster

|

11/30/2018 9:14 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah the new Eclat cassette looks like it's gonna be way rad too!! From what I've seen if I were to get a cassette again I'd probably get that new Eclat one if some people have ridden it and proved its durability and function.

Mountain bikes have been using that design for years with great results.

|