Freestyle vs race parts

Related:
Create New Tag

7/15/2020 7:05 AM

So, I have just gotten back into BMX after having not ridden since '85, and I went with a freestyle bike because that seems to be most like the geometry I was used to back in the 80s. I used to race dirt, but what I really enjoyed was doing bunny hops and catching air off whatever I could (plus, there is a concrete skate park nearby).

Anyway, I just discovered that there is a new dirt BMX track not too far from here, and as I upgrade parts on my 'freestyle' bike, I am considering using them to build a dirt 'race' bike. Is that even possible? I found an inexpensive race frame locally (a GHP race frame from 2012 or so). Will a freestyle crank fit a Euro BB? Will freestyle forks fit the top tube? Will dirt/race tires fit freestyle rims? Is this a complete waste of time? wink

|

7/15/2020 8:50 AM

I mean why not just build it with race parts?

|

7/15/2020 8:54 AM

Only because as I upgrade the parts on my other bike, I'll end up with extra parts. First will be the crank, then fork, wheels, etc. When I read about the dirt track, I thought I could start building a dirt/race bike with the extra parts.

|

7/15/2020 12:37 PM

A true, proper BMX race frame uses different sizing for many of it's parts. Plus, aluminum frames should be reserved for the track, not big dirt jumps or freestyle use, if that's your intention.

I run race pedals on my freestyle setup, but realistically, you can ride the bike however the heck you want, a freestyle setup on a racetrack is fine, as long as you're not getting into competitive racing.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/15/2020 5:17 PM

It would be for dirt track use, but if there is such a difference in the parts, it probably doesn't make much sense. I suppose I could just build another 'freestyle' type of bike with the parts, swap in some narrower dirt tires, a larger front sprocket, and take it racing.

|

7/16/2020 4:44 AM

I did a few races on a my 100% freestyle bike for fun. You can do it. They do make (some) Chromoly steel race bikes.

Build for what you plan to do with it. If you are at a race track, set up a more race oriented bike. If you are only at some dirt jumps, aim for a freestyle bike.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/16/2020 5:58 AM

My race bike in '84 had a chromoly frame. Mind you, the tubes were narrower, and I'm sure it was lighter. wink The geometry looked closer to a freestyle bike today, compared to the true race-bikes I see online.

I wouldn't be looking to be super-competitive, but how much of a difference would it really make, assuming I have dirt tires? We did try to make our bikes as light as possible back then, and I know I thought my Uni Seat and Vector Bars made me faster, but I suspect it was mostly in my head.

|

7/17/2020 2:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2020 2:41 AM

GT Interceptor, fully butted 4130 cromo race frame, awesome 21.5” TT, I have 1 for sale bnib for $150 + shipping.... if you have more budget? Cult race frame is also good at $400, hutch pro racer at $550 shipped, or skyway TA at $550 shipped...

All these frames I recommend are great race frame for pump track and dirt jumping... and they all have 21” or longer toptube that’s ideal for grown men

|

7/17/2020 2:23 AM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
|

7/17/2020 2:45 AM

|

7/17/2020 2:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2020 3:04 AM

Mongoose XXL pump track YouTube link

In this video you can see how xxl frame fit to a 5 11” grown men & how quality aftermarket components are important to a bikes performance Photo
|

7/30/2020 9:59 AM

I don't think I require an XXL bike, since I'm only 5'7" or 5'8", and maybe 145lbs?

Now I'm thinking just going with another freestyle bike, to allow me to transfer parts, if needed. Can narrower, dirt-oriented tires fit on wider, freestyle rims?

And while the gearing is suprisingly similar (despite the front sprocket being much smaller), but I am wondering how much extra wear the chain will experience due to the relatively tiny rear sprocket of a freestyle bike?

|