From 25 to 27

Related:
Create New Tag

7/12/2012 8:45 PM

Got a 27T comin tomorrow and want to add the links now or tomorrow before the sprocket shows up, ? is

What do I add? 2 rollers + the associated links?

|

7/12/2012 10:44 PM

1 full link = 4t
1 half link = 2t
1t = 1/8"

Add a half link and the wheel will sit in the same spot
Add a full link and the wheel will sit 1/4" further back
Add no links at all and the wheel will sit 1/4" forward (if there is room ofc)

|

7/13/2012 5:34 AM

jawn wrote:

1 full link = 4t
1 half link = 2t
1t = 1/8"

Add a half link and the wheel will sit in the same spot
Add a full link and the wheel will sit 1/4" further back
Add no links at all and the wheel will sit 1/4" forward (if there is room ofc)

ive never seen anyone break it down like this. how accurate is it?

supreme- just wait till you have the sprocket thats what i did. good choice on 27 tooth!

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

7/13/2012 5:48 AM

whenever i went from 25 tooth to 28 i just added 3 links and it sat in the same spot... soo i dont know how trustworthy that guide is...

|

I have nothing against pegs at all, I don’t think you’re dumb if you ride pegs, I don’t care about your pegs, they are just pegs! What I do hate is the fact that every person in BMX hops on this bandwagon of three pegs, and beanies, and weed, and hop-over grinds… It’s just sad that the pros who influence kids are more worried about looking cool than the kids themselves! It’s crazy!-Trey Jones

7/13/2012 12:36 PM

/\ ya, it doesnt seem right, gonna do what Broken said an wait, raining anyway, no rush. Will post what it took after.

|

7/13/2012 12:42 PM

bmx4orlife wrote:

whenever i went from 25 tooth to 28 i just added 3 links and it sat in the same spot... soo i dont know how trustworthy that guide is...

3 links? like outer plates. inner plates, outer plates? cause that seems right, i think i need to add 2 rollers which would add a set of inner plates and a set of outer plates.

Also in chain terminology I believe a "link" is a set of inner plates and a set of outer plates, not sure though

|

7/13/2012 12:45 PM

oh my goodness

|

7/13/2012 2:01 PM

Depending how much room you have, you most likely will be able to just put it on and slam your wheel, but if not, how about you just tell us how many links it took to put it on.
When I add teeth, I usually put another master link on so I don't have to break my chain.
one other thing to consider is that you might want to run your wheel further back. When I go up to 33th on my 10 driver, I like a really long back end so it is nice and stable. Dont want to loop out while racing cars.

|

I know this is a chain tool, but what am i gunna do wit' it?

7/13/2012 6:08 PM

bmx4orlife wrote:

3 links is an inch and a half. The 3 extra teeth would only take up 3/8" of that inch and a half. I think you are confused there mate

---

A full link is and inner + an outer, the smallest unit you can add/subtract to a full link chain

That guide is perfectly accurate assuming the sprocket teeth are the same distance out from the BB and the sprocket is concentric, and the chain isn't worn. Removing a link from a worn chain will make the wheel move ever so slightly more. Bear in mind that there's almost 40 links is most BMX drivetrains, the difference chain wear makes to one link isn't anything like the difference it makes over the whole chain. It's arguably negligible

Chordal action issue an issue too but you're not changing to an even-numbered sprocket so don't worry about that

|

7/13/2012 7:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/13/2012 7:04 PM

jawn wrote:

3 links is an inch and a half. The 3 extra teeth would only take up 3/8" of that inch and a half. I think you are confused there mate

---

A full link is and inner + an outer, the smallest unit you can add/subtract to a full link chain

That guide is perfectly accurate assuming the sprocket teeth are the same distance out from the BB and the sprocket is concentric, and the chain isn't worn. Removing a link from a worn chain will make the wheel move ever so slightly more. Bear in mind that there's almost 40 links is most BMX drivetrains, the difference chain wear makes to one link isn't anything like the difference it makes over the whole chain. It's arguably negligible

Chordal action issue an issue too but you're not changing to an even-numbered sprocket so don't worry about that

Just measured the teeth on the sprocket, from the center of one tooth to the center of another is half an inch, so im guessing your wrong and hes right, but sprocket will be here anytime, so ill let you guys know. The teeth are 1/8 of an inch thick, maybe your confused.

|

7/14/2012 12:29 AM

No, teeth are 1/2" pitch x 1/8" width

The 1t = 1/8" is how far adding/subtracting a tooth will move the rear wheel in the dropouts

|

7/14/2012 7:49 PM

jawn wrote:

No, teeth are 1/2" pitch x 1/8" width

The 1t = 1/8" is how far adding/subtracting a tooth will move the rear wheel in the dropouts

ahhhh, gotcha, I didn't understand...

seems you,re right about the length as well, or closer too, as the UPS guy took forever I just got back from riding after doing this today, here's the results.

I tried both the full link and the half link, while neither put the axle in the exact same spot, the half-link put it WAY closer to the OG spot, pulling it forward a little but not slamming it, i can get the chain/wheel of no prob so im happy with it there.

|

7/14/2012 7:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/14/2012 8:08 PM

also, I am LOVIN 27/9, fakieing feels better like the 28T bike i rode, but unlike 28 its hardly noticable how much harder it is to pedal. when compared to 25

|

7/14/2012 9:53 PM

Good stuff :>

P.S. Should change the chain any time you get a new sprocket, a worn chain will wear a sprocket faster than a new one

|

7/15/2012 6:51 AM

27/9 is amazing. i kinda want to go harder but its hard to give up a gearing youve been riding for 2+ years

|

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

7/15/2012 8:48 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

27/9 is amazing. i kinda want to go harder but its hard to give up a gearing youve been riding for 2+ years

not really I rode 25/9 since I started biking then wtiched to 30/9

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

7/15/2012 9:08 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Effting wrote:

yeah, you just ride for a few days, and then it feels normal. I love riding 33/10, but I like 28/9 on the coaster. You just need to build up the legs so you can chase cars going 40 mph

|

7/15/2012 9:26 AM

bmx4orlife wrote:

jawn wrote:

---

oh no i mean like one set of inner plate as one and then one set of outer plates as another... aka 3 rollers

|

I have nothing against pegs at all, I don’t think you’re dumb if you ride pegs, I don’t care about your pegs, they are just pegs! What I do hate is the fact that every person in BMX hops on this bandwagon of three pegs, and beanies, and weed, and hop-over grinds… It’s just sad that the pros who influence kids are more worried about looking cool than the kids themselves! It’s crazy!-Trey Jones

7/15/2012 4:19 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Effting wrote:

weaver wrote:

yeah, you just ride for a few days, and then it feels normal. I love riding 33/10, but I like 28/9 on the coaster. You just need to build up the legs so you can chase cars going 40 mph

i have no problem with speed, i ride MTBS and i ran cross country for 7 years, i just think 27/9 is to perfect with my tree sprocket.

|

7/15/2012 5:05 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

i have no problem with speed, i ride MTBS and i ran cross country for 7 years, i just think 27/9 is to perfect with my tree sprocket.

working on cars taught me that you only use as high of a gear ratio for the conditions, you NEVER want to lose torque for top speed you are not going to use, even if you dont need the torque.

My park is REALLY small, I wanted the 27 mostly for fakie, but was pleasantly suprised how easy it was to pedal forward even on the first day. I see now why so many people run it, seems like a standard ratio for full size people(mid teens to adult).

|

7/16/2012 6:05 AM

weaver wrote:

Brokenbmx wrote:

supremelylazzy wrote:

working on cars taught me that you only use as high of a gear ratio for the conditions, you NEVER want to lose torque for top speed you are not going to use, even if you dont need the torque.

My park is REALLY small, I wanted the 27 mostly for fakie, but was pleasantly suprised how easy it was to pedal forward even on the first day. I see now why so many people run it, seems like a standard ratio for full size people(mid teens to adult).

Yeah, I dont think I will ever ride 25/9 again. My bro has my old 27 sprocket, and I cant feel a difference going from 28 to 27 when I ride his bike. You really feel it when you go to 30/9. Even from 28/9.
I dont think that you need torque like you do in a car, you know? I do ride street a lot though, and I ride to get places, so for me running 33/10 is very useful and I do reach "top speed." It also helps when you are pedaling at a huge death gap to impress the babes with those crashing skills.

|