From Strider to pedal

Related:
Create New Tag

2/22/2016 6:15 PM

my son is on a strider and he is 4 he races at the local bmx track. I do not know much about good bikes ready to learn and help him do something he loves and was wondering what would be a great starter bike to switch him to to start practicing even though he has another year or so to go. I figured this would be a great place to start. i was thinking a 16"

|

2/22/2016 7:49 PM

another year or so to go?

A friend of mines son was pedaling at 3.

|

2/22/2016 7:51 PM

That's really sweet to hear. What is his height? You definitely want to find something with a 15-16" top tube. 16" tobtube maybe a little big for him now but he would have some growing room on it, so it's your call. I would suggest going to your local bike shop to see if they have some sizes that he can sit on and see if they are a fit. If not Dan's Comp has a nice little 16" GT Mach One with a 15" toptube that are made for the littlest guys in BMX.

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

2/22/2016 8:08 PM

I would suggest going to your local bike shop for fitting. Maybe then purchase online if the color or something was'nt suitable.

|

2/22/2016 8:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2016 8:56 PM

Subrosa, Cult, Kink, Redline, Stolen, and many other companies make good bikes.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

2/22/2016 8:54 PM

Here's some 12" and 16" bikes
2015 WTP Prime 12"
Cult Juvenile CC12 12"
Cult Juvenile CC16 16"
Kink Carve 16"
Just shop Danscomp's Kids Section for many, many more bikes. Hope this helps smile

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

2/22/2016 10:18 PM

A 16 would probably be a bit too big for a 4 year old, but kids that use strider's get their balance a lot quicker than kids that use stabilisers usually. Taking him to a local shop to get sized up would be the best idea. But size him up on a decent bike. The sizes on cheap bikes is weird

|

2/23/2016 12:12 PM

420bongblazer wrote:

I would suggest going to your local bike shop for fitting. Maybe then purchase online if the color or something was'nt ...more

Do this if you're a dick and want everyone at your shop to hate you.

If your LBS helps you get fitted, takes the time to explain everything about a bike, then you go buy it online, you're a douche.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

2/23/2016 6:02 PM

To race on the big track

|

2/23/2016 6:03 PM

pnj wrote:

another year or so to go?

A friend of mines son was pedaling at 3.

To ride in the big track

|

2/23/2016 6:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2016 6:09 PM

Cedrik Storm wrote:

That's really sweet to hear. What is his height? You definitely want to find something with a 15-16" top tube. 16" tobtube ...more

I just yrying to get him the best he is 3ft 6in right now there is another kid out there that rides a banshee spawn I think it was a 16 looks low and for smaller kids... to educate me what does top tube mean?

|

2/23/2016 6:13 PM

Those cults looks pretty nice!

|

2/24/2016 6:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2016 6:29 PM

420bongblazer wrote:

I would suggest going to your local bike shop for fitting. Maybe then purchase online if the color or something was'nt ...more

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Do this if you're a dick and want everyone at your shop to hate you.

If your LBS helps you get fitted, takes the time to ...more

I agree to this.

Go to a shop for help, buy from the shop. The ONLY exception would be if they were either super unsure, or just dicks.

You can also ask to try a few other kids' bikes at the track (after talking with parents of course). A lot of times you can find stuff for sale at a track on practice and race day pretty easily.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/24/2016 6:29 PM

Toptube means the length of the frame from the seatpost to the headtube, measured by the length of the toptube of the frame. Considering his height the 12" would be your safest bet.

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

2/24/2016 7:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2016 8:17 PM

Cedrik Storm wrote:

Toptube means the length of the frame from the seatpost to the headtube, measured by the length of the toptube of the frame. ...more

This, center to center. To measure, go from the middle of the tube where the seat goes into the frame to the middle of the tube that the steering goes through.

Here is a diagram for some help. The top tube is TYPICALLY the main measurement concerned about in freestyle for sizing, then the rest for the most part becomes preference.

I would bet based on your kid's height, a Micro Mini or Mini might be around where you want him for race bike sizing, for cruising the neighborhood, a 16in wheel bike would be about right. Many companies offer different sized frames (usually not specified by brands). Honestly for my son when he is off the strider, we will likely get him some garage sale special since he will outgrow it pretty fast. If he gets into racing, then he will have a decent track ONLY bike (aside from getting used to it etc.)

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/24/2016 9:01 PM

Get a used race BMX: Redline Flight Micro Mini or Redline Proline Micro Mini, or others. Both reasonably common-ish 12-14 pound bikes with 16" top tubes.

At this age, 3-7/8, I'm not a fan of street BMX's because they weigh 20+ lbs which is likely half the weight or more of the intended rider. Also, they likely won't be doing anything that would require a burly heavy-ish frame.

|

2/26/2016 6:59 AM

Cedrik Storm wrote:

Toptube means the length of the frame from the seatpost to the headtube, measured by the length of the toptube of the frame. ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

This, center to center. To measure, go from the middle of the tube where the seat goes into the frame to the middle of the ...more

Awesome i have noticed that. Its nice to learn a little. the longer when i have been loooking. one of the other parents got there kind on a spawn banshee. that looks close and the bike is only 15 lbs. i thought that would be a good bike just checking around i didnt know about spending 400 by the time you ship ext.

|

2/26/2016 7:00 AM

retroriderPDX wrote:

Get a used race BMX: Redline Flight Micro Mini or Redline Proline Micro Mini, or others. Both reasonably common-ish 12-14 ...more

i have been searching and googling for month and nothing but junky walmart bikes. been hoping something will pop up

|

2/26/2016 11:35 AM

retroriderPDX wrote:

Get a used race BMX: Redline Flight Micro Mini or Redline Proline Micro Mini, or others. Both reasonably common-ish 12-14 ...more

CP28 wrote:

i have been searching and googling for month and nothing but junky walmart bikes. been hoping something will pop up

Check at local tracks during practice and races. People sell things all the time. Maybe see if you can put up a flyer with contact info at the track stating you are looking for a Micro Mini for your kid?

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/7/2016 1:59 PM

retroriderPDX wrote:

CP28 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Check at local tracks during practice and races. People sell things all the time. Maybe see if you can put up a flyer with ...more

AWESOME I WILL DO THAT BEEN LOOKING AROUND THE REDLINE BMX LOOKS PRETTY GOOD AND LIGHT TRYING TO SEACH AROUND FOR A USED ONE THANKS FOR THE IDEAS~~

|