Front Brakes!!!

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2020 10:55 AM

Yes, I know that front brakes is dying, or already dead, but I'm interested in trying them out. I'm thinking about getting the Odyssey F25's, but I have some questions first. Can I use usual U-brakes as front brakes? Also, I am thinking about getting a gyro for my birthday, so in order for my cables to be free would I just run it through the forks? Would I need a new, wider hole fork bolt?

Thanks for your time! Any information is appreciated!

|

2/6/2020 11:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2020 11:18 AM

You can use a gyro and still run the front brake cable through the fork no problem. They're designed wide enough to allow 2 cable through the fork bolt maybe even 3.

You'd be best of getting a brake that is already front brake friendly, because front brake ready ones have a different shape on the arms where knarps sit allowing for direct pull to each arm where's non do not, but can by experience also be used as a front brake with small modifications made to the arms. If you're not to good with modding this just buy a brake that is for front brakes.

Here's a list of brakes compatible as a front straight of the batt.

Odyssey Evo's 1-2-2.5
Colony brethren
Diacompe 990
Diatech hombre
Shadow Sano 2
Suelos -these are the best but are rare.

|

2/6/2020 11:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2020 11:37 AM

If anything, this top cap may be ideal, but not necessary if the cables fit your current cap. I had to get this when I got front brakes.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

2/6/2020 12:01 PM

readybmxer wrote:

If anything, this top cap may be ideal, but not necessary if the cables fit your current cap. I had to get this when I got front brakes.

These compression bolts are a standard on all Odyssey forks. I think even Sunday to, with their own branding.

|

2/6/2020 1:53 PM

Cellmember wrote:

These compression bolts are a standard on all Odyssey forks. I think even Sunday to, with their own branding.

Not for the past few years. My R25s came with a normal topcap.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/6/2020 2:10 PM

welcome to the front brake brethren!!!! i highly encourage everyone to rock front brakes. they are so fun! make sure to use a non-linear cable for the front brake. you can make a really small loop and they are so much smoother for this application.

|

fack off

2/6/2020 2:12 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I ordered a pair about a month ago same compression cap.

|

2/6/2020 3:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2020 5:45 PM

Love my bonedeth bottom feeder forks and got some odyssey evo 2.5s up front

|

2/6/2020 4:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2020 4:14 PM

Cellmember wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

I ordered a pair about a month ago same compression cap.

I’ve ordered two sets of odyssey’s an r25 and an r32 in the last 3 months. Both came with the odyssey cap that has a single 6mm Allen hole. Not the cutout like shown above. The F series forks may come with that style cap though dunno 🤷‍♂️

|

2/6/2020 5:35 PM

I bought a set of R25s and R32s in the last 10 months as well. Both only came with the standard Allen hole. On their website the first thumbnail for that compression bolt says its stock on all their forks, but when you click into the the detailed listing it just says its standard for the f series (which would make sense).

|

2/7/2020 4:28 AM

I'm rocking front stoppers on an Odyssey Flatland fork that is about 12 years old.

Good times.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/7/2020 4:36 AM

brero490 wrote:

Yes, I know that front brakes is dying, or already dead, but I'm interested in trying them out. I'm thinking about getting the Odyssey F25's, but I have some questions first. Can I use usual U-brakes as front brakes? Also, I am thinking about getting a gyro for my birthday, so in order for my cables to be free would I just run it through the forks? Would I need a new, wider hole fork bolt?

Let me know if you need an F25. I have a like-new one for sale....

|

2/7/2020 6:37 AM

brero490 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

is it chrome?

|

fack off

2/7/2020 8:03 AM

have nothing to add other than front brakes are dope

|

2/7/2020 8:23 AM

brero490 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

is it chrome?

No. Black. I don;t think they make it in Chrome. At least they didn't.

|

2/7/2020 8:33 AM

Front brakes are awesome!

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

2/7/2020 9:23 AM

brero490 wrote:

I will never EVER run a setup without front brakes. Then again though I exclusively flatland so front brakes are vital for a lot of tricks.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/7/2020 11:55 AM

I'm in the market for F25's myself. Looks like more and more are picking up FB forks. Noice!

|

2/7/2020 2:17 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

Almost all of my r25's and 32's had just the one 6mm in the middle.

I have owned 3 r32's and 3 r25's. I owned/built way too many bikes in the past...lol

|

2/7/2020 2:46 PM

Yeah, I don't think front brakes are dying or dead, if anything, they are coming back into the scene more and more..

To me..

They really are the "cake and eat it too" of brake options..

1) They stop you way better
2) no cables rubbing through your frame paint, or rattling against your frame.
3) no gyro needed
4) lighter than back brakes (less cables, no gyro)
5) more trick options
6) Vaders (riding an endo) are a instantly easier

If I ever put brakes on my bike, it'll be front only..

|

2/8/2020 9:16 AM

2020 Video featuring front brakes..

|

2/8/2020 11:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/8/2020 11:09 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Front brakes have been on the come back for a while , although cool to see I don’t think Cranmer deserves the credit for their resurgence

|

2/8/2020 11:24 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Front brakes have been on the come back for a while , although cool to see I don’t think Cranmer deserves the credit for their resurgence

Agreed ^

|

2/9/2020 7:39 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Agreed ^

That and he didn't seem to know of the existence of the Odyssey F-series.

|

2/9/2020 8:04 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Agreed ^

BigMeanPunk wrote:

That and he didn't seem to know of the existence of the Odyssey F-series.

Or the bottom feeders bonedeth is still selling , or s&m pitchforks with 990s , or deco forks , haro still makes front brake forks , he made it sound like front brake forks where extinct

|

2/10/2020 5:00 AM

Does anyone know if Scotty is riding at all any longer? I mean, I get it if he isn't.

|

2/10/2020 6:42 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Does anyone know if Scotty is riding at all any longer? I mean, I get it if he isn't.

He rides his custom 20" BMX only occasionally and with a spotter close by... it is extremely hard for him to stand up and maintain balance to ride it for any length of distance or time. He does however have a road bike, a black Cannondale Bad Boy, that he pumps around the neighborhood on and he has already logged nearly 500 miles for the year.

|

2/10/2020 7:10 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

He rode in his video the other day.

|

2/11/2020 4:55 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

is it chrome?

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I have seen em chrome on amazon.

I might snag up a pair...what are you looking to get for em?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/11/2020 5:04 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

is it chrome?

Mishinn_Control wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/ODYSSEY-F-25-41T-990-Fork/dp/B00K1G8ZLO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=odyssey+f25&qid=1581426228&sr=8-1

They do!

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura