Front hub guard issue

Related:
Create New Tag

7/13/2017 6:45 PM

Being doing more grinds lately so I bought a set of hub guards from my lbs. They are the basic steel ones. Rear went together fine. But the front is giving me issues. It's the style that replaces the axle lock nut. Seems that when I go to tighten the wheel nut that it's putting to much pressure on the hub being and causing the wheel to have resistance when I try to spin it. I know typically the lock nut is used to keep proper pressure on the bearing when you snug the outer nut. Is there any way to remedy this? Should I try a threaded hub guard? The hubs are sealed Sunday.

|

7/14/2017 8:32 AM

Make sure the hub guards are made specifically for that hub.

|

7/14/2017 10:09 AM

its hard because they are just the generic sunday hubs. nothing fancy

|

7/14/2017 10:39 AM

Loosen the hub guard

|

7/14/2017 10:44 AM

it doesn't thread on it just slides on. only way to make it looser would be to barely tighten the nut inside the peg

|

7/14/2017 11:06 AM

Loosen the cone a touch, so it's finger tight

|

7/14/2017 11:09 AM

the basically eliminated the whole cone and replaces it with the hub guard

|

7/14/2017 11:12 AM

ct-corey wrote:

Ah, in that case, the guard is probably touching the outer race of the bearing. You could find a thin washer that's the same inside diameter as your axle, but a smaller outside diameter than the outer race of the bearing

|

7/14/2017 4:02 PM

ct-corey wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Ah, in that case, the guard is probably touching the outer race of the bearing. You could find a thin washer that's the same inside diameter as your axle, but a smaller outside diameter than the outer race of the bearing

No question. My son had one similar to what he is describing. I ended up having to get fancy with a dremal. The idea of it replacing parts of the hub is not great. I milled my sons down so everything fits

|