Toothpick grinds hurt my hands

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2019 1:59 AM

Just a quick thread since I'm probably being petty about this. I've learnt smith's which doesn't hurt that much but I've started trying toothpicks but the initial impact really hurts my hands for a split second. I've got plastic pegs, really soft grips but they feel kind of thin, I hold my bars fairly close to the bends and on the palm of my hands it goes straight to bone and tendons. Would thicker grips help me? Or do I just need to get used to it?

|

4/13/2019 3:41 AM

Have you tried taping your hands to your grips?

|

4/13/2019 4:31 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

I did consider using bar tape but making it really thick if that's what you mean

|

4/13/2019 6:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2019 6:35 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

I did consider using bar tape but making it really thick if that's what you mean

He's being sarcastic lol

Thicker grips, wearing gloves, using plastic sleeved pegs have all helped me doing front end tricks.

Do you have thin wrists?

Soft grips don't help in my personal experience, the soft material just allows your hand to move around which causes you to have to grip even tighter and the soft material also allows you to squeeze through to the actual bar easier.

I'd recommend you get some thicker, stiffer grips. One reason I wear gloves is to make the overall material between my hands and the bar, increase.

Also, if you get sweaty hands, you are even more likely to develop hand pains since you will have to overwork them to provide the same grip as a dry hand.

|

4/13/2019 7:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2019 7:45 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Jessentis wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

He's being sarcastic lol

Thicker grips, wearing gloves, using plastic sleeved pegs have all helped me doing front end tricks.

Do you have thin wrists?

Soft grips don't help in my personal experience, the soft material just allows your hand to move around which causes you to have to grip even tighter and the soft material also allows you to squeeze through to the actual bar easier.

I'd recommend you get some thicker, stiffer grips. One reason I wear gloves is to make the overall material between my hands and the bar, increase.

Also, if you get sweaty hands, you are even more likely to develop hand pains since you will have to overwork them to provide the same grip as a dry hand.

I have thin wrists but the pain is in the palm of my hand which is directly touching the top of my bars. I have soft grips but yeah they are pretty thin and I 'bottom out' the squishy ness really easy. My hands don't sweat unless I'm riding indoors which is basically never, I also don't have the problem of holding my grips too tightly because my fingers wrap all the way around so if I do hold it tightly I start to dig my nails into my palms

I've tried using gloves but I really don't like it but I will try getting thicker grips. I know some scooter riders and a lot have ethic grips which are super thick but still kinda soft so I'll try getting those.

Edit: think the grips are actually called addict, not too sure though so I'll find out

|

4/13/2019 7:52 AM

Jessentis wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

He's being sarcastic lol

Do you have thin wrists?

Jessentis wrote:

I have thin wrists but the pain is in the palm of my hand which is directly touching the top of my bars. I have soft grips but yeah they are pretty thin and I 'bottom out' the squishy ness really easy. My hands don't sweat unless I'm riding indoors which is basically never, I also don't have the problem of holding my grips too tightly because my fingers wrap all the way around so if I do hold it tightly I start to dig my nails into my palms

I've tried using gloves but I really don't like it but I will try getting thicker grips. I know some scooter riders and a lot have ethic grips which are super thick but still kinda soft so I'll try getting those.

Edit: think the grips are actually called addict, not too sure though so I'll find out

Ya, Id say your best bet is thicker grips and maybe a different bar angle either backsweep or upsweep.

|

4/13/2019 8:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2019 8:43 AM

I'd say you just need to fix your technique. If toothpicks or smiths are hurting your hands, it means you're smashing down into them, which isn't good for you, your bike or the ledge/rail you're trying them on.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/14/2019 10:59 AM

Sweet spot for grip is between that last little chunk of palm flesh and the base of your fingers. Give you more leverage on your tricks, while also allowing you to absorb impact through flex and movement, rather than straight into your bones.

|

4/14/2019 1:13 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

What about taping your hands to your pegs for more control?

|

4/14/2019 1:15 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

What about taping your hands to a 9 ft quarter?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/14/2019 8:59 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

What about taping your hands to a 9 ft quarter?

What about taping your 9 ft quarter to your 8-spline cranks?

|

4/20/2019 9:20 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I'd say you just need to fix your technique. If toothpicks or smiths are hurting your hands, it means you're smashing down into them, which isn't good for you, your bike or the ledge/rail you're trying them on.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

OP, I think you're just leaning too far forward on your smiths and tooth picks, move your body weight back more over your rear wheel to take that impact off your wrists.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/20/2019 6:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/20/2019 6:29 PM

Bmx has been pretty physically painful but much preferable over the existential pain present in the rest of life.

|

account here is less about my and more about bike