Front wheel axle size

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2016 2:00 PM

So, I broke my front wheel and am looking to replace it. The only thing is i do not know what axle size to get. Any way of figuring it out without having to go to a shop? I would just check y forks but i don't know what the drop out size is.

|

6/12/2016 3:07 PM

Measure it? It'll be either 3/8ths, 10mm, or 14mm. 3/8ths and 10mm are pretty much identical, just a slightly different pitch thread. 14mm is quite noticeably bigger.

|

6/12/2016 7:26 PM

The_Ghost712 wrote:

So, I broke my front wheel and am looking to replace it. The only thing is i do not know what axle size to get. Any way of figuring it out without having to go to a shop? I would just check y forks but i don't know what the drop out size is.

What bike is it? Chances are it's 3/8" unless it's an older bike.

3/8" axles are roughly the same diameter of a standard pencil so maybe you could compare it that way, 14mm would be bigger than a pencil

|

6/14/2016 10:17 AM

The_Ghost712 wrote:

3/8 is definitely still noticably bigger than a pencil so be careful with that check. Just measure. It will either be 3/8 inch (most likely) or 14mm, which is a little bigger than 1/2 inch (not likely unless your forks are 10 years old.)

|

6/14/2016 11:03 AM

10mm is a lot more common than 3/8ths
#justsayin

|