Front wheel squeak.... Not the tire lol

Related:
Create New Tag

3/6/2018 5:03 PM

Ok, so my front wheel makes a squeak noise whenever rolling out of a fakie, it doesn't do it every single time, but mostly if I roll out hard and sketchy... if I do a nice soft clean one it doesn't squeak... and sometimes if I do a hard roll out it doesn't sqeak... but most of the time it squeaks, it's if I roll out a little weird, idk how to 100% explain it, I don't think it's the bearings because doing drops and just riding it doesn't make any funny noises, so I think it's the spokes flexing, but if you could just confirm that or tell me something else it could be, let me know! Thanks!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/6/2018 5:30 PM

Could very well be the spokes. Make sure they aren't too loose. They should creak a little bit when you squeeze them but not have too much room to give. Have a shop or an experienced rider check them for you if you're not sure what proper tension should feel like.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/6/2018 5:44 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Could very well be the spokes. Make sure they aren't too loose. They should creak a little bit when you squeeze them but not ...more

Well I am experienced with wheels and stuff lol, I'm not a huge noob lol, I'm just wondering if it's normal... my spoke tension is good they do creak a little if I squeez them together... but my front wheel has been through alot... so is it time for a rebuild?
Or maybe even a new wheel?

|

3/6/2018 5:49 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Could very well be the spokes. Make sure they aren't too loose. They should creak a little bit when you squeeze them but not ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well I am experienced with wheels and stuff lol, I'm not a huge noob lol, I'm just wondering if it's normal... my spoke ...more

I typically wait to rebuild until spokes start breaking often. Just check your wheel for any spokes that are looser than the rest & tighten them up. Maybe tighten every nipple about a half turn and see if that helps.

Also, clean & grease up your front hub just in case it is the hub.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/6/2018 6:00 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I typically wait to rebuild until spokes start breaking often. Just check your wheel for any spokes that are looser than the ...more

Alright, I'll double check the spokes, and I'll clean and regrease my hub too, thanks Tim!

|

3/6/2018 8:37 PM

Try a drop of oil on each point where the spokes touch? Might help... Wipe off any excess

|

3/6/2018 10:15 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well I am experienced with wheels and stuff lol, I'm not a huge noob lol, I'm just wondering if it's normal... my spoke ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I typically wait to rebuild until spokes start breaking often. Just check your wheel for any spokes that are looser than the ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Alright, I'll double check the spokes, and I'll clean and regrease my hub too, thanks Tim!

Didnt you get a nee front wheel not too long ago? Might be wrong. What kind of squeak is it. Tire squeak spokes or headset maybe .

|

3/7/2018 1:54 AM

My wheel was doing this recently and it was the spokes. Definitely the first place I would check, especially when you've got really good sealed wheels like you have.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

3/7/2018 5:01 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

Didnt you get a nee front wheel not too long ago? Might be wrong. What kind of squeak is it. Tire squeak spokes or headset ...more

Now the front wheel is one if the oldest parts on my bike now... probably 1 1/2 years old, maybe more.... I don't think it's the tire or headset, I've only really notice it happen on fakie rollouts...

|

3/7/2018 5:01 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

My wheel was doing this recently and it was the spokes. Definitely the first place I would check, especially when you've got ...more

What did you do to the spokes? Or does your wheel still make that noise?

|

3/7/2018 5:02 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Try a drop of oil on each point where the spokes touch? Might help... Wipe off any excess

Hmmmm.... I guess I can try that, it sounds strange, but it might do the trick!

|

3/7/2018 8:06 AM

put headphones on when you ride and you won't hear that squeak

|

It’s all bmx

3/7/2018 8:27 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

What did you do to the spokes? Or does your wheel still make that noise?

Just made sure they all had a decent amount of tension and the sound went completely. However my pedals creak like an absolute bitch so I still need to cure that problem. Ahhhhh BMX eh!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

3/7/2018 9:39 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

put headphones on when you ride and you won't hear that squeak

Or get a Bluetooth speaker and blast douchey music. Not only will the music drown out the squeak, but so will the people taking shit about you

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen