Front wheel squeak.... Not the tire lol

Related:
Create New Tag

3/6/2018 5:03 PM

Ok, so my front wheel makes a squeak noise whenever rolling out of a fakie, it doesn't do it every single time, but mostly if I roll out hard and sketchy... if I do a nice soft clean one it doesn't squeak... and sometimes if I do a hard roll out it doesn't sqeak... but most of the time it squeaks, it's if I roll out a little weird, idk how to 100% explain it, I don't think it's the bearings because doing drops and just riding it doesn't make any funny noises, so I think it's the spokes flexing, but if you could just confirm that or tell me something else it could be, let me know! Thanks!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/6/2018 5:30 PM

Could very well be the spokes. Make sure they aren't too loose. They should creak a little bit when you squeeze them but not have too much room to give. Have a shop or an experienced rider check them for you if you're not sure what proper tension should feel like.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


3/6/2018 5:44 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Could very well be the spokes. Make sure they aren't too loose. They should creak a little bit when you squeeze them but not have too much room to give. Have a shop or an experienced rider check them for you if you're not sure what proper tension should feel like.

Well I am experienced with wheels and stuff lol, I'm not a huge noob lol, I'm just wondering if it's normal... my spoke tension is good they do creak a little if I squeez them together... but my front wheel has been through alot... so is it time for a rebuild?
Or maybe even a new wheel?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/6/2018 5:49 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Could very well be the spokes. Make sure they aren't too loose. They should creak a little bit when you squeeze them but not have too much room to give. Have a shop or an experienced rider check them for you if you're not sure what proper tension should feel like.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well I am experienced with wheels and stuff lol, I'm not a huge noob lol, I'm just wondering if it's normal... my spoke tension is good they do creak a little if I squeez them together... but my front wheel has been through alot... so is it time for a rebuild?
Or maybe even a new wheel?

I typically wait to rebuild until spokes start breaking often. Just check your wheel for any spokes that are looser than the rest & tighten them up. Maybe tighten every nipple about a half turn and see if that helps.

Also, clean & grease up your front hub just in case it is the hub.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


3/6/2018 6:00 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I typically wait to rebuild until spokes start breaking often. Just check your wheel for any spokes that are looser than the rest & tighten them up. Maybe tighten every nipple about a half turn and see if that helps.

Also, clean & grease up your front hub just in case it is the hub.

Alright, I'll double check the spokes, and I'll clean and regrease my hub too, thanks Tim!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/6/2018 8:37 PM

Try a drop of oil on each point where the spokes touch? Might help... Wipe off any excess

|

3/6/2018 10:15 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well I am experienced with wheels and stuff lol, I'm not a huge noob lol, I'm just wondering if it's normal... my spoke tension is good they do creak a little if I squeez them together... but my front wheel has been through alot... so is it time for a rebuild?
Or maybe even a new wheel?

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I typically wait to rebuild until spokes start breaking often. Just check your wheel for any spokes that are looser than the rest & tighten them up. Maybe tighten every nipple about a half turn and see if that helps.

Also, clean & grease up your front hub just in case it is the hub.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Alright, I'll double check the spokes, and I'll clean and regrease my hub too, thanks Tim!

Didnt you get a nee front wheel not too long ago? Might be wrong. What kind of squeak is it. Tire squeak spokes or headset maybe .

|

3/7/2018 1:54 AM

My wheel was doing this recently and it was the spokes. Definitely the first place I would check, especially when you've got really good sealed wheels like you have.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

3/7/2018 5:01 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I typically wait to rebuild until spokes start breaking often. Just check your wheel for any spokes that are looser than the rest & tighten them up. Maybe tighten every nipple about a half turn and see if that helps.

Also, clean & grease up your front hub just in case it is the hub.

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Alright, I'll double check the spokes, and I'll clean and regrease my hub too, thanks Tim!

NateBrown62 wrote:

Didnt you get a nee front wheel not too long ago? Might be wrong. What kind of squeak is it. Tire squeak spokes or headset maybe .

Now the front wheel is one if the oldest parts on my bike now... probably 1 1/2 years old, maybe more.... I don't think it's the tire or headset, I've only really notice it happen on fakie rollouts...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/7/2018 5:01 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

My wheel was doing this recently and it was the spokes. Definitely the first place I would check, especially when you've got really good sealed wheels like you have.

What did you do to the spokes? Or does your wheel still make that noise?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/7/2018 5:02 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Try a drop of oil on each point where the spokes touch? Might help... Wipe off any excess

Hmmmm.... I guess I can try that, it sounds strange, but it might do the trick!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/7/2018 8:06 AM

put headphones on when you ride and you won't hear that squeak

|

It’s all bmx

3/7/2018 8:27 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

What did you do to the spokes? Or does your wheel still make that noise?

Just made sure they all had a decent amount of tension and the sound went completely. However my pedals creak like an absolute bitch so I still need to cure that problem. Ahhhhh BMX eh!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

3/7/2018 9:39 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

put headphones on when you ride and you won't hear that squeak

Or get a Bluetooth speaker and blast douchey music. Not only will the music drown out the squeak, but so will the people taking shit about you

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales