7/8/2017 11:21 PM

I was at a BMX jam today at 3ride and stumbled upon this from a rider :

How did this not get blown up ? I can believe it is true sad
Photo

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/8/2017 11:38 PM

What's wrong with that? Would you expect to get paid if you didn't do your job properly? The riders would've agreed to the contract before signing, and their job is to promote the brand.

|

7/8/2017 11:52 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

What's wrong with that? Would you expect to get paid if you didn't do your job properly? The riders would've agreed to the contract before signing, and their job is to promote the brand.

I understand the fact that as a sponsored rider it can be considered a "job" , but these very confrontive and overruling tactics just to get paid are unncessary .

As a company if you are getting endorsed by riders and paying them to run their product because of the talent they have , you should have a flat rate set for that person , and any additional promotional posts or videos can be considered a bonus on top of a pay , or if consistent a way to make more pay a month from a raise or a online code percentage . Not by being threatened to deduct pay from your paycheque.

At any of the jobs I've been too , I have never once had someone cut my paycheque because I didn't help a customer right , or stock shelves fast enough . So if a rider doesn't post a picture of product , he gets money taken off his cheque ? Bullshit . This people are risking their life riding products of there's and the fact Merritt only sees it as promotional marketing at face value is an insult to the riders . As well , what if that product a rider has to post about is fucking trash and cracks and breaks a ton ? Imagine promoting a shitty product and having a kid buy it because he looks up to you , just to have to break and make the kid get hurt and waste money on a shitty product.

This is what is wrong in the BMX industry and if you agree with Merritt you're part of the issue .

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/9/2017 1:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2017 1:36 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I understand the fact that as a sponsored rider it can be considered a "job" , but these very confrontive and overruling tactics just to get paid are unncessary .

As a company if you are getting endorsed by riders and paying them to run their product because of the talent they have , you should have a flat rate set for that person , and any additional promotional posts or videos can be considered a bonus on top of a pay , or if consistent a way to make more pay a month from a raise or a online code percentage . Not by being threatened to deduct pay from your paycheque.

At any of the jobs I've been too , I have never once had someone cut my paycheque because I didn't help a customer right , or stock shelves fast enough . So if a rider doesn't post a picture of product , he gets money taken off his cheque ? Bullshit . This people are risking their life riding products of there's and the fact Merritt only sees it as promotional marketing at face value is an insult to the riders . As well , what if that product a rider has to post about is fucking trash and cracks and breaks a ton ? Imagine promoting a shitty product and having a kid buy it because he looks up to you , just to have to break and make the kid get hurt and waste money on a shitty product.

This is what is wrong in the BMX industry and if you agree with Merritt you're part of the issue .

Think of it like being a sub-contractor, if you don't bother to put in the effort/time or hours you don't get paid for the hours you've agreed to, simple as, lets face it, its not a list of taxing/difficult things to do, 6 of them can be done in a under a day as their just photo's and maybe a video clip requirement for marketing, and the other is a trip, which is only going to take a few days at most if its oversea's, a day if its local, so a months pay for a few days work at most....not bad, wish my job was as easy as that.

and your saying these people are risking their lives "riding their products", they'd be risking their life anyway as they would still be doing the same tricks they do whether or not its for the company because they love riding, its got nothing to do with the BMX industry, it's business, you want to get your employees to do their job at a bare minimum to help "market" your product for you give them obligations, and nothing motivates people more than money when you got bills to pay.

Now maybe people might understand what Adam LZ was talking about with regards to pay from stranger instead of just calling him a greedy money grabbing cunt, or why Harry main advertises mafia stuff in almost every video he does...obligations.

|

7/9/2017 2:54 AM

Honestly for a person that gets paid to ride their bike, thats not much at all to fulfill their obligations to the company. That stuff can be banged out in a day or two.

If anything, the riders arent really employees of the company, but rather they are independent contractors who are also an advertisement platform for the company they are contracted to.

|

7/9/2017 3:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2017 4:01 AM

Also if you ran a company on the flat rate and bonus system suggestion you are talking about if you hired the likes of Harry Main who's advertising stuff in probably 70-80% of his Youtube content in some way or another, as well as instagram , twitter, facebook etc then you'd be broke as fuck as a company in no time, cos that guy pumps out advertising and marketing like nobody else lol

not to mention at least Merritt are reminding their riders at the end of the month to make sure they have completed their obligations to make sure they get paid their full whack, some other companies would just let you forget and you'd find out on pay day when you have half a paypacket.

I really don't see what the issue is, this isn't the 80's where you would need to get someone to take a picture, then get it developed, then post it to the company, its literally 2 click of a button on a mobile phone to do what their asking....1st click, take the pic....2nd click, upload to instagram......yeah those riders are getting slave driven lol

|

7/9/2017 6:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2017 6:38 AM

Lmao Tom white my boy. Realest dude in bmx always has some quality shit to say and not in it to be a vlogger aha.
and thats the only team I'd join haha

edit: fuck social media

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/9/2017 11:15 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Unless your name is LZ... I had to lol

But, if you are being paid to do nothing but ride your bike. That is far from much to do. Begin is sponsored them and he made a YouTube channel. So, 3/4ths of the list is covered every time he posts a video. Keep in mind many pro riders are on YouTube now. Social media and stuff like YouTube has made finding riders easier and easier for them to do advertising for the company.

|

7/9/2017 4:01 PM

At least they pay their riders unlike stranger

|

7/9/2017 4:58 PM

A reliable source about their customer service
Photo

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/9/2017 5:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2017 5:03 PM

tell your reliable source to pick up a phone and talk to a human being @ merritt, tends to get shit done better than email, and if not repost the pic,

|

7/9/2017 5:24 PM

weegaz22 wrote:

tell your reliable source to pick up a phone and talk to a human being @ merritt, tends to get shit done better than email, and if not repost the pic,

I agree for sure , I'll ask him about that . But I feel he already was close with the management and whatnot , and I'm pretty sure he did call and they ignored his calls after hearing about originally from the post . I'm not quoting that , it is speculation to me too .

He also sent me this about a friend who had a similar issue ;

Photo

I just want to point out that this isn't meant to bash them , as I can't confirm any of this and I've never had any issues with them . I use the thread title to get people's interest , but I've seen other posts recently and decided to almost make into 1 thread and see what peoples experiences are .

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/9/2017 5:47 PM

If you are too lazy to post a few photos to make easy money then you're a douchebag.

|

7/9/2017 5:50 PM

First world problems

|

7/9/2017 6:04 PM

Four wrote:

Lmao Tom white my boy. Realest dude in bmx always has some quality shit to say and not in it to be a vlogger aha.
and thats the only team I'd join haha

edit: fuck social media

^This^

|

7/9/2017 7:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2017 7:01 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I agree for sure , I'll ask him about that . But I feel he already was close with the management and whatnot , and I'm pretty sure he did call and they ignored his calls after hearing about originally from the post . I'm not quoting that , it is speculation to me too .

He also sent me this about a friend who had a similar issue ;

Photo

I just want to point out that this isn't meant to bash them , as I can't confirm any of this and I've never had any issues with them . I use the thread title to get people's interest , but I've seen other posts recently and decided to almost make into 1 thread and see what peoples experiences are .

In all fairness working at a "reputable shop" with a good rep doesn't mean that he was a good bike mech/tech, a shops reputation can be great till you hire the wrong guy, look at the post a couple of threads down from this one about the odyessy cranks being installed the wrong way by a shop and them being unable to get them out, sure if brennan did say that then he could have handled it better by maybe telling him installation or setup procedure before accusing him of sabotage, and in all fairness it could have been shit parts too, but neither of us were there and eye/ear witness testimony being passed on is notoriously unreliable, there's no photo evidence of trashed hubs etc

|

7/9/2017 7:03 PM

How is having sponsored riders take 6 photos or videos a month and possibly go on a trip unfair? Aside from a potential trip you could get that list done in day.

As for LZ, maybe if that guy actually rode and promoted Stranger they would pay him. I don't think Stranger makes drift cars and hair gel.

|

7/9/2017 7:12 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

How is having sponsored riders take 6 photos or videos a month and possibly go on a trip unfair? Aside from a potential trip you could get that list done in day.

As for LZ, maybe if that guy actually rode and promoted Stranger they would pay him. I don't think Stranger makes drift cars and hair gel.

he did promote them, he put Roman Atwood (who i cant fucking stand) on a Stranger, so there's 10 million subscribers looking at him ride a stranger, also his contractual obligations might have been different to the one's listed by merritt, this isn't going to be a standard contract setups, i dare say it depends on what each rider brings to the table, if they have more of a social media influence then it may be geared toward that, if they just shred the shit out of bikes at jams and comps it might be more geared toward that.

|

7/9/2017 8:36 PM

Dear sweet baby Jesus I'd never heard of Roman Atwood until just now. I made it about 10 seconds into the first video that came up and that was enough Roman Atwood for the rest of my life.

|

7/9/2017 10:16 PM

Two thoughts (without digging in too deep) -

- This should have never came out in the first place. I'm sure this was sent on a private level and someone leaked it. Yeah, it's the internet age and this sort of thing happens, but it's a bummer when that barrier of trust between brand / rider is broken, one way or another.

- NO RIDER is forced to ride for ANY BRAND. Riders have to agree to this. When the deal is offered, if they don't like this system, they should pass on the deal. Many of the riders on Merritt have been on since the very beginning, so it would appear they're ok with this. The best part of being a pro rider is being free to ride for whoever you want - and having the option of making money other ways (riding shows, creating a YouTube channel, or even just getting a non-BMX job) if you're not happy with anything being offered to you.

- This is really beside the point, but Merritt clearly wants them to do these things and to pay them the full amount. I think it's kind of nice to know what's exactly expected of you and what exactly it's worth to the brand.

I've never had any business dealings with Merritt, so I can't add anything from personal experience. But, I can guarantee you that if someone offered me a contract that I absolutely hated, the last thing I'd do is sign it. Personal preference!

|

7/9/2017 10:27 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

Two thoughts (without digging in too deep) -

- This should have never came out in the first place. I'm sure this was sent on a private level and someone leaked it. Yeah, it's the internet age and this sort of thing happens, but it's a bummer when that barrier of trust between brand / rider is broken, one way or another.

- NO RIDER is forced to ride for ANY BRAND. Riders have to agree to this. When the deal is offered, if they don't like this system, they should pass on the deal. Many of the riders on Merritt have been on since the very beginning, so it would appear they're ok with this. The best part of being a pro rider is being free to ride for whoever you want - and having the option of making money other ways (riding shows, creating a YouTube channel, or even just getting a non-BMX job) if you're not happy with anything being offered to you.

- This is really beside the point, but Merritt clearly wants them to do these things and to pay them the full amount. I think it's kind of nice to know what's exactly expected of you and what exactly it's worth to the brand.

I've never had any business dealings with Merritt, so I can't add anything from personal experience. But, I can guarantee you that if someone offered me a contract that I absolutely hated, the last thing I'd do is sign it. Personal preference!

Worded professionally , I like this

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/10/2017 5:36 AM

i wish my real life job was outlined so directly to me.

Clarity is a great thing.

|

7/10/2017 6:17 AM

I don't get what's supposed to be outrageous here. That they want people on their payroll doing their jobs? I guess they are supposed to just hand out money to anybody who can ride a bike well, and expect nothing in return?
In the world of business, nothing is a given. Everything needs to be clearly outlined so that when something isn't working, it's possible to point the finger in the right direction. This is just Merritt covering their ass and making everything transparent.
Also, working a grownup job sucks, and I would love to post a few Instagram pics a month and get paid for it. Anybody who complains about having to do that needs a dose of reality.

|

7/10/2017 9:02 AM

yeah. This is definitely NOT a demanding list of expectations from an endorser. I know many cases(mostly in the music buis) where the endorsers are required to generate a certain amount of money/sales per month, or they get dropped. Not just pics and appearances.

And Brayden the jobs you mentioned are different. In fact, in most of those situations they DO reward you for success....by either giving you a raise or not. Assuming that you work in the world of hourly wage employment (cause of your age), that is how they reflect their appreciation of you. In salaried waged jobs, they can dock you pay if you don;t meet the specific requirements of your job description. An endorser is technically a salaried employee, and they do have to follow guidelines. A compnay is making an investment in the endorser, and they don't want to lose money on that investment.

The misconception is that people at that level just "get to do what they want", and that is actually pretty far from the truth. They are on a strict leash of appearances, promotional crap that is not the most fun thing to do. They are only allowed to use the product they are endorsing, and if caught being associated with any other product, they can also be sued and fined. Even if they are in a picture with a different companies thing in the background, lawsuits can happen. This means that if you see something cool made by another company, you can't even pick it up or touch it sometimes. Many of my friends who got musical equipment endorsements (strings, sticks, cymbals, guitars etc...) actually dropped them because they were so time constraining and frustrating, and they were not getting to actually play.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

7/10/2017 9:04 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Dear sweet baby Jesus I'd never heard of Roman Atwood until just now. I made it about 10 seconds into the first video that came up and that was enough Roman Atwood for the rest of my life.

I wish i could go back to that point in time where i had never heard of him either, just cant be doing with him

|

7/10/2017 11:19 AM

Nearly everybody has a social media account, but what happens when a rider joins and doesn't have any? No pay? Forced to make an account?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/10/2017 11:35 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Nearly everybody has a social media account, but what happens when a rider joins and doesn't have any? No pay? Forced to make an account?

Post it to the companies media account, Most companies have them, Tall Order, Mafia, Hyper, Cult all have them as its another way to run free marketing.

|

7/10/2017 12:50 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Some pro's aren't actively on social media, but it's not exactly taxing to start an instagram account and post a few pics a week. But, I can see why it's such a big deal to the brands now. It's where people go to see riding. Pro's don't have to worry about filming for a couple of years for a section in a video anymore, they don't have to beat themselves up for an ender. Especially established pro's, they literally get away with posting "jibs" most of the time. But everyone sees it.

Fathead got it right in no donuts when he said it has no real value. Seeing the same sort of thing all the time has no where near as much impact as waiting months for a video to be released

|

7/11/2017 11:38 AM

ITT: Company won't pay employees if they don't work for the company.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

7/11/2017 8:38 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Lmfao so very true

|