2014 Terrible One Barcode Ovalized Headtube

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2014 1:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2014 2:47 PM

So, as many of you guys know, I'm working on a new build. Started to build it up and I realized I have wobble up front. Can't figure it out. Setup is...

T1 Barcode frame
Odyssey R32 forks (Steerer tube is cut, but it is straight and smooth)
Odyssey Lincoln stem
FSA Impact headset bearings
Zodiac dust cap
Tree compression cap

There is 4mm of room between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem. Everything is installed properly. I used all the shims that come with the dust cap and there is about 1mm of space between the headtube and dust cap.

I did notice that the dust cap is closer to coming in contact with the headtube at the front, and further at the rear. I feel like this has something to do with it. Also, when I turn the bars sideways, there is no wobble that way. Just front to back wobble.

Everything is BRAND new and I inspected everything and it seems to be fine. I've taken everything apart 5 times now, switching bearings and everything. Nothing fixes it. And yes, the wedges in the stem are tightened so it's not that. Tightened the compression cap to the point where the headset doesn't spin freely. Still wobbled. Can't figure it out and it's pissing me off.

OVALIZED HEADTUBE FTW?

Photo

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

4/13/2014 1:37 PM

Ovalised headtube maybe? Unlikely I know but even the best manufacturers make mistakes.

|

4/13/2014 1:39 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Ovalised headtube maybe? Unlikely I know but even the best manufacturers make mistakes.

I think it's either that or a problem with the headset bearings or upper race. The angle the dust cap is at is just weird. I have a pic of it before I added all the shims, so the dust cap is lower than what it is now. Hard to see but...

Photo

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 1:42 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Think you might be right. Took it apart, turned my bars 90 degrees from my forks, and the wobble is gone. I'm a bit fucked if it is ovalized.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 1:43 PM

Fuck. Um. I'd suggest putting more spacers on but you probaly know what you're doing. Maybe rearrange them? How much are you using?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/13/2014 1:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2014 1:45 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Fuck. Um. I'd suggest putting more spacers on but you probaly know what you're doing. Maybe rearrange them? How much are you ...more

No spacers. Just the dust cap. There is plenty of room between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem. The current dust cap is 5mm, but I tried with an 8mm dust cap, bringing the space between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem to 7mm and it still wobbled. That's to the point where the Lincoln won't install properly. Also plenty of room between the headtube and dust cap.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 1:49 PM

Just throwing this out there, but you didn't install the bottom headset race, did you? The R32 has an integrated one.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

4/13/2014 1:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2014 1:56 PM

TKeck wrote:

Just throwing this out there, but you didn't install the bottom headset race, did you? The R32 has an integrated one.

Nope, no lower race. I might try to get a new upper race and bearings. If that doesn't fix it I'll hit up T1. Don't know what to do if it does have an ovalized headtube.

So I checked both the FSA and Zodiac caps. Neither match the shape of the headtube. The front of the headtube sticks out past both caps... Fuck.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 2:02 PM

Well... shit...

Photo

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 2:14 PM

That sucks dude

|

4/13/2014 2:16 PM

BMXSkater wrote:

That sucks dude

Yeah... it sucks lol. I know Joe Rich will be cool about it, but I'm not happy about having to get my Thunderbolts out of there because they were a bitch to get in lol.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 3:12 PM

I guess you just got a "terrible one"

That sucks man.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

4/13/2014 3:24 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

That sucks man.

Did you just........

|

4/13/2014 3:27 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

That sucks man.

biggybuggy wrote:

Did you just........

Yes, yes i did.

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

4/13/2014 4:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2014 4:24 PM

Try posting photos of JUST the bearings in the head tube. Take the forks out.

This way you can look and see if the bearings are incoorectly shaped for the HT or if it is the HT.

Then you can wiggle the bearings and see if there is play there.

Also look at your front wheel for the wiggle you are talking about. I have had a wheel bearing go and give a feeling like the headset was toast.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/13/2014 4:20 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Try posting photos of JUST the bearings in the head tube. Take the forks out.

This way you can look and see if the bearings ...more

Photo

Switched the bearings around and they're the same... Definitely the headtube.
|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 4:58 PM

Is the upper bearing race the one that came with the bearings? I've had headset troubles like this before & it was due to the upper bearing race being different. I know it was that because I tried one, it wobbled, tried another different style of upper races, and it didn't wobble.

|

4/13/2014 5:00 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Is the upper bearing race the one that came with the bearings? I've had headset troubles like this before & it was due to ...more

It's the one that came with the headset. It's definitely an ovalized headtube. The bearing moves inside the cups. Tried both bearings and neither of them fit.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 5:12 PM

Sucks for you haha!!!!

Just kidding i'd be pissed if this happened to me. Hope they give you a new one. Better or you can go all hook on em'

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

4/13/2014 5:39 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

That sucks man.

biggybuggy wrote:

Did you just........

Oh my god. I cant even.....

I am SO DONE!

|

4/13/2014 6:07 PM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

I am SO DONE!

Photo
|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 6:13 PM

Dust cap. The dustcap deformed. Happened to me too. Try a different dust cap. Thatd solve it.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

4/13/2014 6:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2014 6:15 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Dust cap. The dustcap deformed. Happened to me too. Try a different dust cap. Thatd solve it.

Not deformed. It's brand new, plus it's stronger than pretty much any other dust cap. You can clearly see it's the headtube. Plus, like I've said before, the problem remains with multiple dust caps.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 6:24 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Not deformed. It's brand new, plus it's stronger than pretty much any other dust cap. You can clearly see it's the headtube. ...more

Ahh damn, sorry to hear that. looks like youll get a new one. hahaa

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

4/13/2014 7:15 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Did you just........

KrisnerBMX wrote:

I am SO DONE!

Xxohioanxx wrote: Photo

Bang your dead

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

4/13/2014 10:26 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Bang your dead

[LINK TO IMAGE]
|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

4/13/2014 10:49 PM

Try putting a slim spacer under and a thicker one on top of the stem to see if that helps. I had somewhat of a similar problem to you with my lincoln and I added a spacer on the bottom to stop the wobble and one to the top which made it way more solid. although from the sounds of it maybe somethings fucky since you said the looseness stops when you turn the bars. that sounds like ovalizaton

|

4/13/2014 10:51 PM

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

Try putting a slim spacer under and a thicker one on top of the stem to see if that helps. I had somewhat of a similar problem ...more

It is ovalized. Sent Joe an e-mail, hopefully I can get it sorted out. I got the stem as high as I could and it was still wobbling, even with it tightened to the point where it wouldn't spin freely.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

6/17/2014 3:52 PM

Been two months since I first e-mailed T1 and Joe's had my frame for about a month now. Still no word on what will be done about it. 10/10 would definitely recommend.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

6/17/2014 4:17 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Been two months since I first e-mailed T1 and Joe's had my frame for about a month now. Still no word on what will be done ...more

The sarcasm is real with this one.

What the hell... It was better with Taj helping out.. Now its kinda sad to see how this is being handled.

|