G-Sport, Fly Bikes or Odyssey Rim?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/5/2014 4:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2014 4:56 PM

I need a new rim for my back wheel, and i want one that will last a long ass time and put up with my abuse. Thinking about the G-Sport Rollcage, Fly Bikes Classic, or Odyssey Aerospace. Or any other rims that are good? Not looking to spend a whole bunch though.

|

High Hops, and Low Cars.

5/5/2014 4:48 PM

Well, I'm going to assume you're talking about the Fly Front rim.

If that's the case, the Ribcage is the strongest by far.

If you're talking about the Fly Rear rim, I'd still go for a Ribcage but they're close in strength.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/5/2014 4:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2014 4:57 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Well, I'm going to assume you're talking about the Fly Front rim.

If that's the case, the Ribcage is the strongest by far.

...more

I'm talking about the back one. The one they sell on Danscomp. But thanks i'm looking into the Rollcage so my back wheel is all G-Sport.

|

High Hops, and Low Cars.

5/5/2014 4:58 PM

hallockg806 wrote:

I'm talking about the back one. The one they sell on Danscomp. But thanks i'm looking into the Rollcage so my back wheel is ...more

The one on Dan's is the front one. Fly doesn't make the rear one anymore, which is why I assumed you were talking about the front one haha. The Rollcage is definitely the better choice. I ran two and never had a problem.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/5/2014 5:09 PM

I'd go for the rollcage out of those three

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

5/5/2014 5:43 PM

Spend 10 more dollars and get the ribcage. Really why does everyone do this.
Like my friend the other day, settled with a different part because the one he wanted was $5 more than the other
But really get g-sport

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/5/2014 6:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2014 6:33 PM

can't go wrong with g-sport. but i'd prefer the ribcage

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

5/5/2014 6:45 PM

Ive heard of the rollcages spoke holes cracking pretty easily. I would definitely go Ribcage.

I have the Alienation Runaway Stay Strongs and LOVE them
Cross lace (same design as Gsport)
6069-T6 (30% stronger than 6061)
CNCd sidewalls (amazing if you run brakes)
And the finish on them is GORGEOUS and holds up amazing with brakes.
On sale at dans only $45!

I previously owned Alienation 7ups which are imo the strongest double wall rim available. I ran them for a little over a year and never had to touch them. Was truing my Odyssey Hazards every other month though! I got rid of them because they sucked when it came to gripping brake pads and they are insanely heavy. I wanted to try something a bit lighter.
On sale on Alienations webstore for $40!




Inb4 ohion bashes Alienation

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


5/5/2014 6:51 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Ive heard of the rollcages spoke holes cracking pretty easily. I would definitely go Ribcage.

I have the Alienation Runaway ...more

I've never heard of the Rollcage spoke holes cracking. You probably heard about that problem on Birdcages. I ran a Rollcage front for two years and rear for one year and never had to true either of them.

I don't really bash Alienation's products.... because most of their products are rip offs of other companies (Rims are an obvious example, with their Iron Maiden or whatever stem being another one). Plus the owner is literally a bigger twat than Adam22. He makes Adam22 look like an angel.

I can get if you buy Alienation if you really just can't afford anything else, but I'd rather support a product that was actually engineered from the ground up by a professional engineer, rather than a whiny bitch that rips off other companies.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/5/2014 6:51 PM

dish out a bit more & go with some Ribcages

|

5/5/2014 9:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2014 9:36 PM

I don't understand how hard it is to save up $10 unless you're me and you know my story on money issues, but yeah. Ribcage all the way, even though Rollcage is the top of the line already. I mean, even with Hazard Lite's and 7KA's, you're not going to be blowing those up anytime real soon. I personally don't those Fly original rims because of the dumb holes.. stupid idea. I also heard some good things about the Cinema 777 rims. And also, don't be using aero rims as rear rims unless you're a park rat or SUPER smooth rider, which I doubt anyone ever is. Even though it's Gsport, the Birdcage has had problems in the rear with rough riders.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update





Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/5/2014 9:38 PM

Revenge industries rims!

|

5/5/2014 10:47 PM

Go with the the Gsport Ribcage.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

5/5/2014 10:52 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Revenge industries rims!

THIS


RTJSTJS4IK6S4N

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/5/2014 10:59 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I've never heard of the Rollcage spoke holes cracking. You probably heard about that problem on Birdcages. I ran a Rollcage ...more

I have alienation runaway rims too. I don't like them because quality sucks. (or I just got unlucky). I bought them on a LBS. [LINK TO IMAGE]

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

5/5/2014 11:20 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I don't understand how hard it is to save up $10 unless you're me and you know my story on money issues, but yeah. Ribcage all ...more

Cinemas are just OK for the prize. I have them front and rear, and the regar has a tiny crack (ridable) and 1 hop, plus it comes untrue usually.

|

RIDE OR DIE



THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

5/6/2014 1:30 AM

g sport. had odyssey 7kas, had a g sport ribcage, currently have fly rims, getting g sports on my new wheelset

|

5/6/2014 4:40 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Ive heard of the rollcages spoke holes cracking pretty easily. I would definitely go Ribcage.

I have the Alienation Runaway ...more

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I've never heard of the Rollcage spoke holes cracking. You probably heard about that problem on Birdcages. I ran a Rollcage ...more

Ive never had any problems with the owner. I emailed customer service asking about a colorway they used (trying to match it/find the powder for it) and the owner texted me personally and helped me out the best he could. Great service, dude was cool too.

Other than my old Alienation PBR, I haven't had a single bad Alienation product yet. They do have BUDGET parts (PBR, Blacksheep, Deviant, etc.) which are not intended for harsh riding, but im pretty sure if Gsport had a $20-35 rim it wouldn't be any better.

Alienation does a good amount for the community, their sponsorship program is pretty damn good, they host a good amount of giveaways, they have the "rider for a year" or whatever where they sponsor a random stranger for a year, and they offer cheap and semi-reliable products for those who cant afford better/are just getting into BMX. They also sold the StayStrong products to make money for the StayStrong foundation.

They also try new materials for their products (6069, 7003E) in hopes of improving quality of parts.

Yes they use other people's ideas, but who doesn't? Fly made tripods, now everyone makes them. I haven't seen anywhere where they exactly copied a part from another company. They saw a good idea and used it, like EVERY OTHER COMPANY does.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


5/6/2014 5:14 AM

neophyte16 wrote:

I have alienation runaway rims too. I don't like them because quality sucks. (or I just got unlucky). I bought them on a LBS. ...more

Looks like an issue with the finish? I wouldn't imagine thats Alienation's fault, maybe whoever does their chroming (some taiwan/chinese factory) isnt very good at it. Also, do you run brakes? Clear pads? My chrome Hazard looked like this about all the way around rim when I ran brakes on it.

Also- Runaway/Runaway SS are technically two different rims. Same design, but the Stay Strongs are made from 6069 which is much stiffer/stronger.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


5/6/2014 5:44 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Looks like an issue with the finish? I wouldn't imagine thats Alienation's fault, maybe whoever does their chroming (some ...more

I don't know but the weld where the ends of the rim meet looks terrible. Then they just put some kind of adhesive (yellow on the pic) to hide the flaws. I'll take a pic when I can, it is currently installed on my flatland bike. so I don't mind because I won't be able to break that with flatland style of riding. Im not sure if it is supposed to be made that way because I don't know much about rims.

Also, I tried truing it myself and can't seem to true one part of it, so i went to a LBS to have it trued. The guy said it would nearly be impossible to true it since the rim is not perfectly round. I could feel a bump on that part (pic).

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.