G-sport simian slow bearings?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/20/2017 4:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2017 4:44 PM

I picked up a new simian a few months back. Got a really good deal on it. It was like half price. I'm starting to think something is wrong with the bearings. It doesn't spin for shit. I also ride a demolition bulimia front hub on my other bike, and it literally spins for 20 minutes at least, and its super smooth. The simian seems to spin a bit rougher, and stops after like 30 seconds or less. It feels slow when I'm riding it too, but my rear hubs might play a role in that as well. Anyone else ever have any issues with thier simian. I'm thinking about replacing the bearings. It really just feels a bit off. If I spin it in my hands I can feel a slight tick. Kinda hard to explain. It just doesn't feel smooth. I don't get it. This is supposed To be one other the best front hubs you can get, and it's out performed by the cheapest front hub you can get. Actually the demolition even spins better than my old profile mini did, but that was a little old. Maybe I'm just expecting too much? Maybe the bulimia hub really is the best spinning hub you can get? As far as I've seen, it is.

|

10/20/2017 4:57 PM

I've never had a problem with my Simian... maybe take the bearings out and soak them in some gas and then go to you local skate shop and get some Bones Redz Bearing Speed Cream and re lube the bearing with those... if your not familiar with skateboarding Bones Redz makes some of the best bearing out there...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/20/2017 4:59 PM

Oh and my Simian spins for about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes not the longest spinning hub but it's pretty much bomb proof...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/20/2017 5:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2017 5:19 PM

I had the same thing initially but after about a month it was fine. It's because of the LLB seals on the bearings, they're much better at keeping stuff out than a typical RS type seal but they have a slightly more friction. You just have to put some distance on it and wear them in. The 'tick' you feel is probably just stiction between the seal and inner race.

You shouldn't be basing how good a hub is on how much it spins when unloaded anyways. For example, if you take a cup and cone hub and loosen the cones of to the point that it's flopping side to side, it'll spin for ages but it won't take load/impact very well at all. Same with cartridge bearings, if a bearing is poorly toleranced and has play in it, it'll spin for ages but explode much easier under load/impact.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/20/2017 7:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2017 7:41 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

I picked up a new simian a few months back. Got a really good deal on it. It was like half price. I'm starting to think something is wrong with the bearings. It doesn't spin for shit. I also ride a demolition bulimia front hub on my other bike, and it literally spins for 20 minutes at least, and its super smooth. The simian seems to spin a bit rougher, and stops after like 30 seconds or less. It feels slow when I'm riding it too, but my rear hubs might play a role in that as well. Anyone else ever have any issues with thier simian. I'm thinking about replacing the bearings. It really just feels a bit off. If I spin it in my hands I can feel a slight tick. Kinda hard to explain. It just doesn't feel smooth. I don't get it. This is supposed To be one other the best front hubs you can get, and it's out performed by the cheapest front hub you can get. Actually the demolition even spins better than my old profile mini did, but that was a little old. Maybe I'm just expecting too much? Maybe the bulimia hub really is the best spinning hub you can get? As far as I've seen, it is.

Double post

|

10/20/2017 7:40 PM

Just pop the side covers off your bearings and see if there is a chunk of something floating around.

If nothing else, you could leave the inner side covers off both of the bearings and reduce the friction.

Perhaps a small dent in the metal side cover? I have accidentally dented the covers on my bb bearings before by trying to hammer them out. They seem to work fine still but bb bearings are harder to mess up than the tiny ones they use for wheels.

|

10/20/2017 7:51 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Double post

It's the seals that are causing it. Enduro's LLB seals always do that for the first while and only get marginally better over time in my experience but it's a small price to pay for keeping your bearings in good shape. The friction is only enough that it slows down quickly when it's not loaded but it doesn't affect anything when it is.

I'd say check the grease inside for any dirt/suspended particulates and if there's nothing, just put the seals back on and leave it. No point in messing with it if it still runs and show no signs of failing soon or, as the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/20/2017 8:16 PM

Ok so maybe they aren't fully broken in yet? I guess that makes sense. I haven't put a whole lot of miles on this wheel. I've been riding my other bike a lot more. The one with the simian is actually in pieces right now, but I plan on building it up this weekend and throwing some pegs on. It's been a while. I'll just give it some more time and see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

|

10/20/2017 10:41 PM

If there is something wrong with it, hit g sport up. Their warranty is badass

|

10/21/2017 9:12 AM

Is it brand new?

If so, BREAK IT IN A BIT. My Roloway was a tad stiff initially, I rode it some, and broke it in.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/21/2017 12:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2017 12:07 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Is it brand new?

If so, BREAK IT IN A BIT. My Roloway was a tad stiff initially, I rode it some, and broke it in.

It's pretty new, I'm just going to give it some more time to break in. I took the shields off, and everything looks fine. They are packed with grease, so I guess that's what's slowing them down a bit. I've never seen bearings filled with that much grease. I'm used to skateboard bearings, which are just lightly oiled. It's not that it spins slow, when I spin it, it's when I'm riding it just feels slower than my other bike. I'll give it more time. I probably only have like 10-20 miles on them.

|

10/21/2017 12:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2017 1:24 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

It's pretty new, I'm just going to give it some more time to break in. I took the shields off, and everything looks fine. They are packed with grease, so I guess that's what's slowing them down a bit. I've never seen bearings filled with that much grease. I'm used to skateboard bearings, which are just lightly oiled. It's not that it spins slow, when I spin it, it's when I'm riding it just feels slower than my other bike. I'll give it more time. I probably only have like 10-20 miles on them.

Skate bearings aren't nearly as heavily loaded during normal operation so they don't need as thick a lubricant and they don't have nearly as much weight to spin. BMX wheels are an order of magnitude heavier than skate wheels so more, thicker lubricant doesn't make a difference to how well it spins(to a point). The difference of momentum between skate and BMX wheels means a thick lubricant in a skate bearing would be a terrible idea but in a BMX wheel, it's fine. A lubricant should be as thick as possible without really negatively affecting the performance. Also, when a BMX wheel is loaded sideways, there's a hell of a lot more force/torque on the bearings so that grease will keep your bearings alive for a lot longer.

There are many things that could cause one bike to feel slower than another. For one, weight: if one bike is lighter, it can't hold same momentum at the same speed and will slow down much quicker. Other than that, the geometry, tyre tread, individual part weights, even your position on the bike will change how it feels.

I'd definitely say to put some more time on them, I have put a few hundred miles on my Simian in the last few months alone and it's still not the best spinning wheel but it's damn smooth and has a lot more life in it than other hubs I've had after that amount of distance.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

10/21/2017 2:28 PM

Simian bearing always suck. I've blown mine out 3 times. Even when they work they spin slow because the axle is so huge. It's just the way they are.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

10/21/2017 3:31 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Is it brand new?

ggallin422 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Skate bearings aren't nearly as heavily loaded during normal operation so they don't need as thick a lubricant and they don't have nearly as much weight to spin. BMX wheels are an order of magnitude heavier than skate wheels so more, thicker lubricant doesn't make a difference to how well it spins(to a point). The difference of momentum between skate and BMX wheels means a thick lubricant in a skate bearing would be a terrible idea but in a BMX wheel, it's fine. A lubricant should be as thick as possible without really negatively affecting the performance. Also, when a BMX wheel is loaded sideways, there's a hell of a lot more force/torque on the bearings so that grease will keep your bearings alive for a lot longer.

There are many things that could cause one bike to feel slower than another. For one, weight: if one bike is lighter, it can't hold same momentum at the same speed and will slow down much quicker. Other than that, the geometry, tyre tread, individual part weights, even your position on the bike will change how it feels.

I'd definitely say to put some more time on them, I have put a few hundred miles on my Simian in the last few months alone and it's still not the best spinning wheel but it's damn smooth and has a lot more life in it than other hubs I've had after that amount of distance.

That makes sense. I know a lot of skaters that run thier bearings completely dry, and no shields. They do spin faster, but don't last as long. I would never lube my bearings, but I usually would replace them every 6 months to a year. I guess they are like apples and oranges, just different.

|

10/21/2017 4:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2017 4:27 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Simian bearing always suck. I've blown mine out 3 times. Even when they work they spin slow because the axle is so huge. It's just the way they are.

Those Enduro bearings are supposed to be like the best bearings you can get pretty much. If you go to thier website they tell you all the technical stuff they do to make them better than anything else. They are pretty much the only bearings that are specifically designed for bikes. That's strange that you had so many problems. Seems like a manufacturing issue with the hub. Are you still riding it?

|

10/21/2017 6:49 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

That makes sense. I know a lot of skaters that run thier bearings completely dry, and no shields. They do spin faster, but don't last as long. I would never lube my bearings, but I usually would replace them every 6 months to a year. I guess they are like apples and oranges, just different.

I guess the best way to explain what I'm trying to say above would be to say weight and therefore, momentum is a great measure of how well something's going to hold it's speed. Momentum is mass times velocity, meaning the more weight you have, the more momentum you will have at the same speed and the harder it'll be to stop. It'll take you more effort to get to a certain speed with more weight but you'll hold that speed better, proportional to how much more weight you have.

Let's say there's 2 people running, one's 8 stone, the other's 16 stone, the one who weighs 8 is going to get up to speed much easier but slow down much easier too whereas the one who weighs 16 will be much harder to stop and will likely do a lot of damage to anyone who gets in front of them.

So, if you made a skate wheel, the same size as a BMX wheel but somehow kept the weight the same, it'd slow down much quicker than a given BMX wheel because of it's lower momentum whereas if you add say, 10 kilos, as an extreme example, to four evenly spaced points on the wheel it'll spin for ages almost regardless of how thick the lubricant is, same as in the above example, the person weighing 16 stone plowing through anyone who gets in their way with relatively little effect, the ball bearings just plow through the lubricant. Because of their low weight and therefore, low momentum, skate wheels need as little and as viscous a lubricant as possible while still maintaining as much anti-wear and load bearing qualities as possible.

Sorry for the essays tongue, I've got far too much time on my hands as I'm waiting out a storm.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

10/22/2017 9:57 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

Those Enduro bearings are supposed to be like the best bearings you can get pretty much. If you go to thier website they tell you all the technical stuff they do to make them better than anything else. They are pretty much the only bearings that are specifically designed for bikes. That's strange that you had so many problems. Seems like a manufacturing issue with the hub. Are you still riding it?

I blew up my first one twice before they would warranty it. They sent me a new one and it spun ok for about a week then got pretty slow. But it still spun smooth just not very long. The second hub lasted almost two years before i blew up the bearings again last month. I replaced the bearings and it rolled smooth for a few days but now it is back to the regular slow spin.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling