Garrett Reynolds

Related:
Create New Tag

10/6/2020 7:38 AM

https://bmxunion.com/daily/garrett-reynolds-fall-2020-compilation/

Is anyone else surprised that after Nike dropped BMX that he hasn't been picked up by Vans or some other shoe company?

|

Husky Nation Member

10/6/2020 9:13 AM

Definitely surprising.

I'm assuming he's probably got something in the works with a shoe company or is at least in the beginning stages of working out a deal with someone.

You have to wonder why Vans or Etnies hasn't picked him up yet though. Maybe he's working out a deal with smaller, more BMX specific brand like Ends? I know there's some West Coast guys repping their shit.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

10/6/2020 9:15 AM

I believe he discussed this his "Unclicked" podcast (episode 6). He basically said that initially when they got word about Nike going away at the end of 2018 that he felt the need to go out and find a new shoe sponsor. But then after a while he ended up not worrying about it and hadn't (at the time of the podcast, Jan. 2019) really made the personal effort to contact shoe companies.

I can't confirm this, but I don't think Garrett has an agent. If he did, he likely would have a lot more sponsors that he does. I know he is super particular with which brands he reps. He essential said he wouldn't want to wear Sketchers for a paycheck.

|

10/6/2020 9:18 AM

Stocksy wrote:

Definitely surprising.

I'm assuming he's probably got something in the works with a shoe company or is at least in the ...more

Yeah I would think someone like Vans would be flowing some stuff his way. Ive seen him wearing some of there stuff.

Crazy that those guys don't get picked up quicker compared to some of the guys they have on the crew.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/6/2020 9:38 AM

He was rocking shoes from a BMX-owned shoe company from out of country shortly after Nike.

Can’t be bothered to look for it, but he made an Instagram post shouting them out and claimed to really like them. No clue if he’s still rocking those or not.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/6/2020 10:15 AM

I think the bad thing about sponsorship is that it causes impressionable people, youth in particular, to associate the skills of a particular person with the product of the sponsor when the two rarely have any connection to one another outside of a business arrangement. I’ve seen kids on Wal-Mart bikes riding hard, and I’ve seen guys on top level rides who struggle to keep themselves in motion.

My point is that I don’t really think about who is sponsored by what company. I tend to think more in terms of who is entertaining to watch.

Garrett Reynolds could probably grab an off the shelf Mongoose from Wally World, grab a pair of shoes on sale at Payless, and rock a skate park in ways most of us couldn’t imagine attempting. Because of his skill, he also probably expects to get paid a generous amount for repping a brand, and those brands have to believe that they will see a strong enough return on their investment in order to sign the guy.

Ultimately, there is a happy medium to be found, and I am sure that a guy like Garrett will find a home under the flag of some suitable sponsor. Nike is a big name, but unless I am missing something... they aren’t big in BMX.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/6/2020 11:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2020 11:07 AM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

I think the bad thing about sponsorship is that it causes impressionable people, youth in particular, to associate the skills ...more

This.

I see too many kids wanting the stuff their favorite pro rides with a clear mindset they will somehow channel those skills. Most of the time it is generic catalog parts with a sticker slapped on it.

Some do it because they like the lifestyle of the riders (always funny when the kid is a proud straight edge person, religious etc and wants all the weed related stuff. Or when you can tell they have never even seen anything besides cheap beer and cigarettes but talk up all the drugs etc cause of their favorite rider)

Buy what you like, but don't expect some miracle skill to appear instantly because of it. Skill comes with experience and time. You can gain skill on junk bikes from department stores. You won't suddenly have skill because you wear everything some pro wears, and have a replica of their setup.

At the end of the day, Garrett might just not be totally into "asking" for a sponsorship since he has Fiend and all his other sponsors/work to do. Could just be too busy. Maybe some companies approached, but he wasn't digging the brand or the offer. It's all him.

Could also be that with Covid some things like shoes could be selling less as people are (in some cases) riding less, brands have less advertisement options (lack of contests etc) and minimal travel could have slowed things some. I know right away people cinched their spending a TON leading to tons of lost sales etc. Could still be going on at a corporate level now.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/6/2020 11:06 AM

There's alot going on in the BMX sneaker world.

Of course there's Vans. They haven't added anyone to the team for awhile. Seem more focused on company collabs like Cult, Demolition, & Shadow.

Etnies hasn't added anyone either but they have been flowing ALOT of riders sneakers. I heard through the grapevine they might bring back the Taj, Ruben, & Rooftop signature sneakers from the early 2000s.

Fade makes cool stuff but only in Brazil. It's weird because they sponsor alot of riders from America but don't sell them here. Lol.

Union Square is ran by Jimmy Mac aka owner of Bulldog Bikes. I like them. Remind of old Supras. Lol. I don't think he pays anyone to ride for him though. I think it's more I'll give you free shit to promote my stuff & you can leave when you want.

FP Footwear has a BMX section on their site but I don't know if any riders. I think Corey Martinez is on the team. Their insoles are amazing though.

SCG is lesser known but they have been around for awhile. Not really much to say about them. Kinda basic sneakers.

Now I also heard through the wood works that Adidas is getting back into the BMX world. I know they always supported Nyquist. But yeah. Apparently there's a team in the works.

The point of this was too show there's only 2 (3 if the adidas thing is true) that can pay Garrett what he's worth. Vans & Etnies. Garrett, Dennis, & Nigel were making BANK from Nike. So unless Garrett just wants to support/help a lower named company, Vans (& adidas) would be the big money ticket, Etnies a close second. But who knows. Maybe he's just more focused on Fiend. Maybe that's the next Vans collab.

|

10/6/2020 11:09 AM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

I think the bad thing about sponsorship is that it causes impressionable people, youth in particular, to associate the skills ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

This.

I see too many kids wanting the stuff their favorite pro rides with a clear mindset they will somehow channel those ...more

I get all this.

I just mean he is one of the most well known street riders ever. Constantly stacks unbelievable clips and gets 1st or second in about every contest he enters and he doesnt have a shoe sponsor.
Then you have guys that barely get 2-3 feet of the ground that are getting picked up and all they do is jibby shit.
I just find it interesting thats all.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/6/2020 11:36 AM

I guess the dude can just buy his own vans

|

10/6/2020 11:43 AM

1. who is to say he wants a sneaker sponsor?

2. who is to say he's not asking for too much money or a signature sneaker?

3. he could be getting free shoes but doesn't feel strongly enough about any of them to put his name behind it

4. there could be something behind the scenes that us peon's aren't privy to

|

10/6/2020 11:49 AM

younggotti wrote:

3. ...more

I wouldn't call us peons but I agree with this. We don't know his situation.

|

10/6/2020 12:01 PM

younggotti wrote:

3. ...more

WiteMic wrote:

agreed. He may not want to.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/6/2020 12:14 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

I get all this.

I just mean he is one of the most well known street riders ever. Constantly stacks unbelievable clips and ...more

Absolutely, guy rips and it is interesting. I wasn't trying to bash your statement, just trying to bring out that there is a lot at play and there could be a TON of background "noise" on this.

I've thought that maybe he will develop and drop his own shoe brand.

I'd LOVE to see Orchid come back like Little Devil did.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/6/2020 12:29 PM

younggotti wrote:

3. ...more

WiteMic wrote:

trust me, it's better to be a peon, less is expected of you

|

10/6/2020 1:47 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

This.

I see too many kids wanting the stuff their favorite pro rides with a clear mindset they will somehow channel those ...more

baglagrupie wrote:

I get all this.

I just mean he is one of the most well known street riders ever. Constantly stacks unbelievable clips and ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Absolutely, guy rips and it is interesting. I wasn't trying to bash your statement, just trying to bring out that there is a ...more

Absolutely... i didnt think that you were so dont worry.

I would love to see some more shoe companies step back into the BMX game.

DC Shoes, Orchid, Osiris. It only helps BMX in the long run.

Right now i dont buy a shoe to ride with other than a company that supports BMX.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/6/2020 1:56 PM

Tbh I’ve ridden in the same pair of emericas for like 5 months. Bmx riding isn’t that hard on your shoes like skateboarding. Skaters need a shoe sponsor because they’re going through a pair every two weeks. My riding shoes usually last months so to spend 50-65 bucks every few months isn’t a huge deal. If you get flowed a pair of shoes or two from a shop or whatever it’s probably not a huge deal to have a sponsor.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/6/2020 3:05 PM

Four wrote:

Tbh I’ve ridden in the same pair of emericas for like 5 months. Bmx riding isn’t that hard on your shoes like skateboarding. ...more

riding brakeless tears shoes up, pros go through 1-2 pairs a month

|

10/6/2020 3:11 PM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

Not if you have good bike control.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/6/2020 8:10 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Of course there's Vans. They haven't added anyone to the team for awhile. ...more

Good info here. Hadn’t heard of some of these.

And I’ll peon whatever I want.

|

10/7/2020 3:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2020 3:19 AM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

Don't understand why this idiotic myth is still popular. It only ruins shoes if you're dumb enough to put your foot on your tire to slow down.

If you need to completely stop, you just stomp the ground repeatedly, and you won't ruin anything.

If you need to slow down a bit during a street line, you can just scuff your tire, which is what ALL STREET PROS do in their videos. You will never see Garret Reynolds stick his shoe in his tire during a line, it looks like shit, it ruins shoes, and it's unnecessary.

Not to mention that pros are confortable going fast and are excellent at managing their speed in the first place.

Also, I do a shitload of vader slides all the time, and neither my tire nor my shoes are ruined (I ride Adidas). You only to renew your shoes often if theyre garbage in the first place, like Vans which are a fashion brand and not actually good shoes; they fall apart in weeks.

|

10/7/2020 4:12 AM

Four wrote:

Tbh I’ve ridden in the same pair of emericas for like 5 months. Bmx riding isn’t that hard on your shoes like skateboarding. ...more

Da Biker Boy wrote:

Fatalize wrote:

Don't understand why this idiotic myth is still popular. It only ruins shoes if you're dumb enough to put your foot on your ...more

This.

I run brakes and shoes easily last me 1-2 years. When I ran brakeless (which has been multiple times over the last 21+ years, in some cases a year or two at a time), it was usually around a year for a pair shoes. I got mine from Target or Walmart back then. I never bought shoes from legit brands until I was living on my own. I learned not to just toe the tire to stop-that puts a hole in em FAST.

I dragged my whole foot on the ground, wearing the bottoms more evenly. Or would do the hilarious "stomp run" to slow down.

Still get em only on sale. In the last 4 years, I have spent MAYBE 150 bucks on shoes, and that includes for other things (dress shoes, casual etc).

My current pair of Osiris were 21 bucks on Amazon.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/7/2020 5:11 AM

WiteMic wrote:

Of course there's Vans. They haven't added anyone to the team for awhile. ...more

Doesnt Brad Simms rock Union Square?

I also saw some guys from Europe that rock New Balance. I see that they have a skate team but wonder if they are starting to make a push into BMX?

|

Husky Nation Member

10/7/2020 5:49 AM

Payless shoe store.

|

10/7/2020 6:23 AM

Four wrote:

Not if you have good bike control.

Agreed.

I bought some Vans Era Pros in the beginning of May, rode street all summer (I am brakeless of course), and I just noticed the other day that the shoes have a small hole forming in the bottom below my big toe. I'll probably still ride them for at least another couple weeks.

Filming lines for the homies actually does a number on my right shoe because whether I'm on a board or my bike, I usually have to drag the foot so that I can slow down but still make the shot look good.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

10/7/2020 7:04 AM

WiteMic wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

I also saw some guys from Europe that rock New Balance. I see that they have a skate ...more

He does. No shock there though. Jimmy Mac was Brad's first sponsor (Bulldog). As for New Balance, I doubt they do it in the US because the skate shoes aren't selling enough here from what I heard. US skaters look at them like Nike. Just trying to make money off them.

|

10/8/2020 4:16 AM

WiteMic wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

I also saw some guys from Europe that rock New Balance. I see that they have a skate ...more

WiteMic wrote:

He does. No shock there though. Jimmy Mac was Brad's first sponsor (Bulldog). As for New Balance, I doubt they do it in the US ...more

New Balance = Dad shoes too, so that could be a factor. Skaters etc don't want the same brands their lawn mowing dads get boners for.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/8/2020 5:24 AM

Fatalize wrote:

Don't understand why this idiotic myth is still popular. It only ruins shoes if you're dumb enough to put your foot on your ...more

100%. I run brakes, but I've got shoes that are 5+ years old that are still rideable from when I was last brakeless. I usually buy new shoes because I want to, not because I need to.

Garrett is pretty calculated and considered when it comes to what he does and doesn't rep, I'd imagine he's waiting for the right opportunity that makes sense from a personal and financial perspective. I think he posted about Strayers a while ago, so he must've been into those to back them in that way.

Vans also has a ton of riders on their pro team (, and even more that they flow shoes to. I'm sure they'd love to have Garrett on board, but they've spent a lot of time and energy on their current team, and promoting it as a family that I think one of them would have to opt out before that became an option.

|

10/8/2020 6:13 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

He does. No shock there though. Jimmy Mac was Brad's first sponsor (Bulldog). As for New Balance, I doubt they do it in the US ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

New Balance = Dad shoes too, so that could be a factor. Skaters etc don't want the same brands their lawn mowing dads get ...more

noooo, new balance has been killing it this year

new balance does make dad shoes but they make way higher quality shoes than most shoe brands, and their "skate" shoes look decent

i'd wear new balance, knowing they use quality material then some hipster hot topic shoe like vans that every cookie cutter has made out of crappy materials...btw i'll never wear vans

heck if it was up to me I'd wear Saucony Grid SD's as my riding shoes if they put a herringbone traction on the bottom instead of the lugs

|

10/8/2020 7:04 AM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

Fatalize wrote:

BrodieB wrote:

100%. I run brakes, but I've got shoes that are 5+ years old that are still rideable from when I was last brakeless. I usually ...more

They added Dennis E pretty quick after he got dropped from Nike. So im not to sure if i follow the whole family thing you speak.

|

Husky Nation Member