General Grind Advice Help

Related:
Create New Tag

5/28/2014 9:14 PM

I can't grind for shit. Straight up it is NOT my thing.

I grind to the right , yet I'm left foot forward so technically they're switch yet they feel better. I'm wondering if trying regular grinds (Yet switch in a sense for me) would be better considering I would be able to put my front foot down and have more surface area contact with my pedal? I ride a coaster and I find that slightly affects hopping off the ledge. I can't feeble for more than a meter without hopping off and I really want to be able to hold them. Would leaning really far into the ledge help to keep me holding into them? I know everyone rides differently but all the locals all peg wizards and I can't do shit.

Also wondering if plastics would help because the sliding with less friction would mean l can hold them for longer. Mind you I take only 1 or 2 cranks before hopping at the ledge so not fast. Pegs are expensive so if I invest in some it'd have to be a real big conviencement to purchase them and that'd mean I'd have to use them alot.

I can 360 and hop down 9 sets and 180 down 4 sets on a daily basis but grinds sketch me the fuck out. I faceplanted doing some stupid smith- roll along grind and my front peg caught the ledge and I ate shit so it spooks me out even more then regular. Grinds area huge part of street riding so I want to get used to them at least a bit more so I can incorporate it into my style instead of going to a spot and not being able to ride with the friends.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/28/2014 9:24 PM

I understand what you are saying. More so goofy fotted rather than switch. try and have your body centered over what you are grinding maybe a little more onto the ledge/rail if it helps. also make sure if you are doing a feeble yo are directing where you are going with your front wheelbut also keep it kinda close to the edge closest to you so your rear wheel doesnt push you off.
And try and not put your pedal down. its a dirty habit that will be very hard to get out of.

As for pegs stick to metal ones. go a little faster if you have to and use a bit of wax if you are slowing down to fast.
And yeah smiths were my biggest fear when i started grinding, fell on my face and split my forhead open on my friends cranks.

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/28/2014 9:27 PM

stick with metal while learning. Plastic may slide a bit too fast and make you uncomfortable. Just keep trying and dont get discouraged man. I started as a racer and now I'm a 4pegged street rider. So I'm proof, with enough practice anyone can learn. And a helpful tip- Did you know Aaron Ross is also goofy footed? Maybe even use that as motivation?

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

5/28/2014 9:31 PM

I just never really got them comfortable, yet I'd be totally more comfortable riding pegless (grinding pedals, tires, etc.). Obviously riding pegless with a passion for pegless grinds would take a huge toll on my bike, so that's why I chose to practice grinds, but it's still taking a while and I STILL cannot for the love of God find my desired side, so I just force myself to run 2 pegs on a side till I feel just right.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/28/2014 9:44 PM

Umm how are pegs expensive?

|

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

5/28/2014 9:49 PM

Feebles keep your front tire straight close as you can to the ledges lip added that with more speed the farther you can go

|

5/28/2014 10:00 PM

They weird me out but I NEED to learn to get comfortable with pegs because as mentioned they are a must here. Not trying to be Benny L or anything but I want to be able to get some lines.

My mom gets underpaid and there is a strike for the School District so she loses 10% pay and now doesn't get hours because the strike. I don't get allowance. Money is short so I don't get any for biking. Not bitching , but that's why I don't just buy everything I want.

I learn on ledges. How long should it take to get comfortable with grinds? Before doing them on different things.

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/28/2014 10:03 PM

Have you got any power tools?
You could build your own lathe out of a vice and power drills and a railed level. then you can make your own pegs smile

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/28/2014 10:16 PM

I grind goofy footed as well & it just took me a little bit of practice to figure them out. I was HORRIBLE when I started learning to grind, then again when I was learning to grind, I had only been riding for a few weeks tops. I could grind this peg height ledge that you could just ride towards close enough & you'd eventually hit it with your pegs, that was it. Then something just "clicked" with me, I figured them out. You just need practice & to keep at it.

As for longer grinds, wax helps. Unwaxed ledges are tougher to stay locked into but waxed ledges are really easy to, but also pretty easy to have your peg fall off the ledge. You want your bike to be even on the ledge, if you're doing a feeble & your front goes over too far, you're gonna slip off the ledge. It's hard to explain what I do when I haul ass & do a feeble grind on a ledge, but basically I'm parallel to the ledge, I bunnyhop over & onto the ledge getting my front on first, then my back, I don't let my front end go over too far by leaning my body. My bike stays right over the ledge, but my body kinda leans away from the ledge very slightly so it's not putting weight on the other side which would in return cause me to lose the grind. Does that make sense? Haha.

And you'll want metal pegs for sure. They'll last longer & be better to learn on. Yes plastic pegs slide better, but they're too slippery to learn on.

|

5/28/2014 10:59 PM

if you feel more comfortable on your back foot-side then just stick with that, it's like spinning, it doesn't really matter which side you do it on as long as you're comfortable. you're not supposed to put your pedal down to help you balance anyway even if you were to grind on your front foot-side. putting your pedal down really just kills your speed while grinding and that's never good.

as for pegs, i don't think it matters if you practice with metals or plastics. if anything, metals might even be better since plastics can be a bit too slippery sometimes and freak you out, especially when you're not too comfortable with grinding yet.

it just takes time to get your balance right. and i believe that when they're not comfortable with the ledge/rail people tend to lean away from it as they hop onto it which means you'll slip right off pretty much as soon as you get on. you just have to keep doing it until you're comfortable with it. i think it's better to have an objective though (kinda like when learning to manual), try to find a ledge with and actual end to it and just try to get to the end. you can start off just hopping on right near the end and just work your way up the ledge. oh, and going faster helps if you're trying to do a long grind lol

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

5/29/2014 2:23 AM

go faster and learn to lean/balance... its just practicing man, just go a lil faster as you get more comfortable and ease your way into learning em

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

5/29/2014 2:24 AM

also. I would start off with metal pegs. just because the slickness from plastic may fuck you if you slip up or go a lil fast

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

5/29/2014 6:58 AM

When I first learned grinds I was the same way. Now I can feeble until friction stops me.

Just do as mentioned above, use wax, keep your weight over what you grinding on, and make sure your tire on feebles is close to the ledge and parallel with it so you go forward and dont shoot off.

Youll slowly inch forward more and more and eventually go long distances. Just keep doing them howevers comfortable and practice. Youll get there one day.

Also, positive side to fuckfooted grinds is youre grind hard 180s will be easy as hell to learn.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/29/2014 8:02 AM

Learn good feebles first. Lean toward the ledge and keep your front wheel on it. Idk what else to say, feebles were the most natural trick for me to learn.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/29/2014 8:22 AM

Grind that sh!t

|

5/29/2014 9:04 AM

do plastics. i swear everything became so much easier. and you don't have to go as fast.

|

5/29/2014 12:48 PM

Practice, practice, practice. NEVER NEVER NEVER (!!!) put your pedals down during a grind (not talking about Luc-e's now). You don't need plastics at all. It doesn't really matter which side you learn it on, but in my opinion you should try to get comfortable with grinding on your left side first.

|

5/29/2014 2:16 PM

Stick with metals. Try to find some stock pegs from completes if you are on a budget. People seem to forget that pegs is just a chunk of metal that you grind on. No need for ridiculous expensive pegs

|

5/29/2014 4:10 PM

When it boils down to it, all a grind is is a bunnyhop and a bit of leaning. Just keep practicing feebles. Make sure your front tire is straight and keep it as close to the ledge as possible. That's really all there is to it! Just keep practicing and you'll get better and better!

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

5/29/2014 6:19 PM

did some and almost got fucked over the bars

contimplating just removing pegs LOL

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/29/2014 6:31 PM

Nah keep em on!Alls ya need is to make yourself stick on the ledge.And that ain't switch what you're doing,I call that frontside (pretty much like skating left foot forward and grinding things on your right as you roll).With your feet/pedals turned around,that's switch.Just look at some Butcher footage and you'll notice it.Pay close attention though.Just commit to it and make yourself stay on.It used to be a issue for me too when I started riding and now I can feeble on a hair-thick rail if I want.It's all about commitment

|

5/29/2014 10:13 PM

Papi Dan wrote:

Nah keep em on!Alls ya need is to make yourself stick on the ledge.And that ain't switch what you're doing,I call that frontside (pretty much like skating left foot forward and grinding things on your right as you roll).With your feet/pedals turned around,that's switch.Just look at some Butcher footage and you'll notice it.Pay close attention though.Just commit to it and make yourself stay on.It used to be a issue for me too when I started riding and now I can feeble on a hair-thick rail if I want.It's all about commitment

I'll try it but I swear I'm the most goofy - retarded rider when it comes to pegs

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/30/2014 9:48 AM

If you already suck at grinds, I'd switch your pegs over to the other side and force your self to learn that way.

At least give it a try for a few days. I bet you'll get used to it pretty fast and progress quickly.

Here's a few grind specific tips:

Feebles: Concentrate on getting your front tire as close to the edge of the ledge as possible. Really think about where your front tire is going and your back peg will follow.

Double Pegs: Push that front peg down on to the ledge, your back peg will follow.

Smiths: Hop and think about where you are putting your back tire and just let your front peg drop.

Once you are comfortable on a flat ledge, try it on a down ledge. These are actually a lot easier than you would think and you have to hop a lot less high to get on one.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

5/30/2014 12:05 PM

My friend prefers grinding goofy footed. He can do feeble easy 180's on just about everything he can grind because he grinds on the left and spins to the left. And ive been working on oppo grinds and havent noticed a difference in having my backfoot towards the legde/rail.

|

References - jared42069

7/21/2017 3:24 PM

Derek_Bolz wrote:

Bro plastics are fkn expensive, and u have to replace them

idk how old this thread was but idrc

|

7/21/2017 4:20 PM

Derek_Bolz wrote:

RookieBMX wrote:

Bro plastics are fkn expensive, and u have to replace them

idk how old this thread was but idrc

It's three years old dude why did you bring this back.

|

7/22/2017 1:47 AM

ComplicatedStreetBmx wrote:

Stick with metals. Try to find some stock pegs from completes if you are on a budget. People seem to forget that pegs is just a chunk of metal that you grind on. No need for ridiculous expensive pegs

+1

this, i managed to pick up 4 pegs for less than £10 on ebay, they are heavy steel peg with knurling halfway up, i'll just sand the underside on a belt sander to make it smooth to grind on and keep the knurling on the rest of it for flatland type stuff.

|

7/24/2017 2:30 AM

Wow this is old haha .

While this is bumped , anyone have tips for smith - feebles or smith easy 180's ? I can't seem to be good at either . Can sometimes get my front wheel up for the feeble , that's it .

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/24/2017 2:56 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Wow this is old haha .

While this is bumped , anyone have tips for smith - feebles or smith easy 180's ? I can't seem to be good at either . Can sometimes get my front wheel up for the feeble , that's it .

Bitch hops

|

7/24/2017 4:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2017 4:49 AM

ComplicatedStreetBmx wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

+1

this, i managed to pick up 4 pegs for less than £10 on ebay, they are heavy steel peg with knurling halfway up, i'll just sand the underside on a belt sander to make it smooth to grind on and keep the knurling on the rest of it for flatland type stuff.

I've knocked the peg sleeve right off the end piece that was being held in by my axle bolt before. This was a full metal peg off a stock bike. Do t cheap out on pegs you'll regret it.

|