Getting Into BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

3/8/2016 6:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2016 1:10 PM

Hey everyone just signed up for the forums today im going to get into BMX :D So i have skated for many years but after going on youtube and watching all these Bmx videos i decided i want to start BMX riding. I have some questions and was hoping you guys could help me.

So i'm about 5'5 130 lbs more or less and ive been looking at all the different bike brands on websites but all the bikes that i kind of want are 21" TT and i know the charts say thats for 6 ft + riders so im thinking of staying around 20.2-20.5 TT is that about right for my height? would 20.75 TT be too long already? I would rather build a custom but i dont really know all the parts and what the good stuff to buy are so i was wondering if you guys could help me with some good completes with cromoly parts and good for my height thanks, Also i would like to ride more street than parks and i heard i should get shorter back end of the bike is this true?

What are your opinions on the 2016 Colony sweethtooth Alex Hiam pro bike , 2016 WTP Crysis, 2016 AlexColeborn total bmx complete 20.4 TT, Fly bikes Neutron but TT is 20.6" idk if thats too long for my height?

|

3/8/2016 6:36 PM

Shorter back ends are more twitchy on balance points for manuals, a long back chainstay will make it harder to get into manuals but more stable , if I where in your position I would look into buying a parts kit and then buying a frame your into to put it on to

|

3/8/2016 6:46 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Shorter back ends are more twitchy on balance points for manuals, a long back chainstay will make it harder to get into ...more

thanks for the reply i googled parts kit and its basically everything you need on a bike besides the frame? that seems legit but i have no idea what size handle bars i would need and all the other sizes for the parts i dont really know that much about BMX yet so far what i would like to do is mostly ride street and the tricks i really want to learn are tailwhips and 360's and manuals maybe you know a certain frame or complete bike that caters to that style :D?

|

3/8/2016 6:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2016 6:52 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Shorter back ends are more twitchy on balance points for manuals, a long back chainstay will make it harder to get into ...more

This.
Stolen makes some parts kits for $350+
And United does too for $500+
I recommend the United kit, but the Stolen is good if you are on a budget.
Here's Dans frame selection find one you like then post another topic on here to see what others think.
They also have some really good completes so if you want to go that route, post the bike you want on here and get others opinions.
Hope this helps! smile
Edit: Will be more expensive because, Canada. I put USD.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

3/8/2016 6:56 PM

Nice name, good times haha.

Yes 20.75 would probably be too long for you but it's all preference. For street you'll want a short to medium chainstay so around 13-13.5 and a shorter top tube since you're not very tall. At 5'9" ish a 20.6 has been my favorite and I've rode every size almost. 75 head tube angle helps with nose tricks and stuff like that. Don't buy the biggest bars possible just because everyone does I would recommend sticking in the 8-8.6" range and width is up to you. I like a low bottom bracket on my frames and a medium standover height. I ride all street and mostly just flat ground. I recommend building a custom if you know you're going to stick with it rather than buying a complete then replacing everything in a year. Good luck.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/8/2016 7:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2016 7:16 PM

eskimojay wrote:

owen.lox wrote:

This.
I recommend the United kit, but the Stolen is good ...more

wow the bmx community owns lol :D thanks for the reply and im thinking of maybe doing that but idk how to select a frame lol :D what should i check for? i was checking the 2016 sweet tooth colony complete bike and the frame seems okay because the stand over height is only 7.5" so that means it would be easier to do tailwhips and 360s right?

Edit--- i was checking the WTP Crysis ,Colony Sweettooth alex hiam bike , Fly bikes neutron what are your opinions on those ?

|

3/8/2016 7:20 PM

Four wrote:

Nice name, good times haha.

Yes 20.75 would probably be too long for you but it's all preference. For street you'll want a ...more

Thanks for the reply :D and that sucks cause alot of the bikes that i kind of want are like 20.6 , 20.75 or 21" so i should stick with 20.4-20.5 frames? and the handlebar width i heard people cutting them for easier bar spins maybe ill do that.
And i dont really know what low bottom bracket means when i check bikes online i see it says mid bb sealed? And thats basically what i want to do ride street and do tailwhips and 360s and 180 barspins and stuff :D I definately want to build custom but dont know what specs i should get thats kinda whats stopping it but 2 people recommended buying a parts kit im checking into that

|

3/8/2016 8:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2016 8:28 PM

Runescape wrote:

wow the bmx community owns lol :D thanks for the reply and im thinking of maybe doing that but idk how to select a frame lol ...more

You're 5'5"? Do you have much more growing to do? A 20.5 frame would probably be good. I have a 2.6 and I'm 5'9 and it feels fine.

For frames, its really what you want to do. A lot of brands make really similar frames. Companies that have a good rep would be BSD, Sunday, Kink, Mutiny, and plenty more.

Higher headtube angle means a stiffer steer and easier to pop up into a nose manual.

Chainstay length usually ranges from 12.5" up to 14. Shorter will make your back end really responsive. If you like doing really technical things, like manuals and spin tricks, a shorter back in is suggested. If you're a train rider you may look for a longer on

Stand over (when you're standing over the frame) is the distance between the top tube and your testicle to put it frankly. There was a trend a few years back where the stand over was really low, making it "easier to do tailwhips". I never look into stand over as long as its looks like a normal height (I couldn't tell you what normal is in inches, as I can look at a frame and just tell if its norma)

Go on danscomps frame section, look at a few, link them to us, and we'll give you opinions! Welcome to BMX

EDIT: Looking at your other questions, Bottom brackets come in 4(?) different sizes. Mid size in the norm, and sealed mid bb just means its mid size with sealed bearings. If you get a complete bike, look to make sure it has a sealed headset, bb, and hubs, as these are more quality, and will last you longer!

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook

3/8/2016 9:34 PM

I think you are better off buying a nice complete bike than a frame and parts kit. Most the parts in those things are just stock anyway and not very good. 20.5 or 20.75 would be a good top tube for you i think.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/8/2016 9:39 PM

One of my friends has the wtp crysis and it is really dialed. Would be a great bike to start on and last a while plus it comes in 20.5. I would get that for sure out of your options.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/8/2016 9:40 PM

If I were you I'd look into a complete as your first bike. It'll make a much more fun experience braking parts and learning what parts are what as you replace them if needed. Even though most completes are pretty solid now anyways if you get a decent one.

|

Smoke Drink Die

3/8/2016 10:00 PM

owen.lox wrote:

This.
I recommend the United kit, but the Stolen is good ...more

Runescape wrote:

wow the bmx community owns lol :D thanks for the reply and im thinking of maybe doing that but idk how to select a frame lol ...more

Easternbiker93 wrote:

You're 5'5"? Do you have much more growing to do? A 20.5 frame would probably be good. I have a 2.6 and I'm 5'9 and it feels ...more

thanks for the help and i just want a bike thats made mostly for street and easier to do 360s 180s and tailwhips with

|

3/8/2016 10:03 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I think you are better off buying a nice complete bike than a frame and parts kit. Most the parts in those things are just ...more

thanks for the info. What im trying to find in the bike is something mainly for street and makes it easier to do 360s 180s and tailwhips would these completes from danscomp go in that category?

2016 Flybikes Electron 20.2 TT maybe better for my height opposed to the 20.5?

WTP Crysis 20.5 TT

Colony Sweet tooth 20.4 TT

|

3/8/2016 10:08 PM

Never too late to get into BMX! Like blaaaaaa and Colony said, I think you'd be better off starting with a complete, though. While a kit set-up is nice, it can get costly. Wayyy more costly than it needs to be, especially if you're just starting. Remember, just because it's a stock complete doesn't mean you're limited to it, you can swap out (most) parts no problem. I began with a KINK WHIP back in 2012 and started changing parts ever since I had it through the years. Today, I run the same frame, but nearly all the other parts have been changed, haha!

The bikes you've listed are solid completes, but how much more do you think you'll grow height wise? I'm about 5'4" right now and run a 20.5" that is slowly seeming smaller, but I enjoy a smaller frame for better handling. For you, 20.6" at the moment would fit pretty good, but if you think you'll grow, go with a 20.75" or 21" for comfort. At the end of the day, it's your preference, though.

Short frame (Top Tube & Chainstay) = Twitchy, responsive handling
Longer frame (Top Tube & Chainstay) = Better for going fast and carving
Steep Headtube Angle = Twitchy, responsive handling
Less Steep H.T. Angle = More precise control for going fast

Happy riding, hope this helps some! -readybmxer

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/8/2016 10:32 PM

You're short, but anything smaller than a 20.5 will feel like a kids bike. Plus you could out grow it pretty quickly.
Go with the wtp, there's nothing bad about it as a first bike at all. The thing is, everything about how a bike is set up is personal preference, so you won't know what's better until you've tried a few things. And unfortunately, we can't really help you with that. It's a bit like how wide you like your deck, size of wheels you prefer, how loose you like your trucks. Everyone likes different things smile

|

3/9/2016 12:10 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Never too late to get into BMX! Like blaaaaaa and Colony said, I think you'd be better off starting with a complete, though. ...more

Thanks for the reply i was looking at the kink bikes too :D do shorter frames like the 20.2 make it easier to do 360s and tailwhips over something like the 20.6 frame? and would a 25 lb bike be hard to do those tricks with also what about stand over height does that affect tricks?

|

3/9/2016 12:11 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You're short, but anything smaller than a 20.5 will feel like a kids bike. Plus you could out grow it pretty quickly.
Go with ...more

thanks for the reply and true that but the WTp crysis is about 26 lbs right would that make it too hard to do tailwhips and 360s because of that weight especially for my height and weight?

|

3/9/2016 12:52 PM

We The People makes the best completes out , they got some in at my local shop and the 2015-2016 ones are perfect , a lot of detail and cool design . Always feel dialed . I'd just get a decent WTP bike and ride that . My local shop has a 2016 Reason with 4 piece bars and a freecoaster for 700$ , and that's a full chromoly complete that would last you a long time . It also comes with hubguards already installed , which is rare and saves you money and you won't break your wheels . I'd aim to buy one of those , any level one should be fine

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/9/2016 1:00 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

We The People makes the best completes out , they got some in at my local shop and the 2015-2016 ones are perfect , a lot of ...more

thanks for your input but i think WTP reason only comes in 20.75 TT and that may be too long for me what do you think of the flybikes complete neutron
https://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102704/2016_Fly_Bikes_Neutron_Bike.html

|

3/9/2016 3:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2016 3:21 PM

Runescape wrote:

Thanks for the reply i was looking at the kink bikes too :D do shorter frames like the 20.2 make it easier to do 360s and ...more

Indeed, shorter frames make SOME things easier. Tailwhips and spins (180, 360, 540, etc.) mostly because there's simply less bike to control, same applies to nose manuals, but for things like regular manuals and barspins, it's not as easy due to a smaller area to "lock in" your balance point and a short top tube resulting in less room to spin the bars.

As for weight, 24-25lbs. is sort of the norm. However, a lighter bike does mean better riding for prolong periods of time. I personally built my bike to about 22.5lbs because I love the feeling of a light bike.

Standovers won't change the feel of a bike massively, it's mostly unnoticeable considering all that your changing is the height of the toptube and standover. Lower standovers mean it's easier for tailwhips or any other trick involving you moving feet over the frame top. Anything higher means it will be a bit harder for likewise, over-toptube tricks like no-footed can-cans and, of course, tailwhips.

|

@scootereyn

3/9/2016 3:41 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Never too late to get into BMX! Like blaaaaaa and Colony said, I think you'd be better off starting with a complete, though. ...more

Runescape wrote:

Thanks for the reply i was looking at the kink bikes too :D do shorter frames like the 20.2 make it easier to do 360s and ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Indeed, shorter frames make SOME things easier. Tailwhips and spins (180, 360, 540, etc.) mostly because there's simply less ...more

yeah man i want to try and get a lighter bike also may i ask what the benefit of having taller handlebars are like the 9" ones?

|

3/9/2016 4:00 PM

20.75 is fine if you're 5.4" or taller . If it's your first bike it shouldn't be a huggee concern unless it's way too big . You always want some room to move around and bail when things get crazy

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/9/2016 4:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2016 4:17 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

20.75 is fine if you're 5.4" or taller . If it's your first bike it shouldn't be a huggee concern unless it's way too big . ...more

kk gotcha can you explain to me benefit of having taller bars like 9" ones and benefits of having 8.5' bars nice utube vid btw what bike is that and how tall r u

|

3/9/2016 5:46 PM

Runescape wrote:

yeah man i want to try and get a lighter bike also may i ask what the benefit of having taller handlebars are like the 9" ...more

Everyone's different with opinions, of course, but here's my take:

Taller bars make things that balance on the back wheel easier. Things like manuals, tail-taps, maybe even icepick grinds or stalls. It will make the bike easier to pull up and bunnyhop or jump out of tricks. A tall handlebar setup along with a smaller, shorter frame is very controllable and twitchy. You can get the picture how small bars and a larger frame sort of work the other way around.

Another important factor is stem choice. There's topload and frontload. You can Google this topic, but long story short, a frontload stem provides much LESS height than a topload does. For example, 9" bars with a topload can theoretically reach 10" if you measure from the headtube up on the frame to the top of the bars. In this same scenario, a frontload stem may only raise your bars a fraction of an inch.

This then brings up another important question, what kind of rider are you? Maybe we could help a bit more effectively. Park, street, flatland, racing? Little bit of multiple worlds? I think we could figure out the best set-up for you this way. :D

|

@scootereyn

3/9/2016 6:01 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Indeed, shorter frames make SOME things easier. Tailwhips and spins (180, 360, 540, etc.) mostly because there's simply less ...more

Runescape wrote:

yeah man i want to try and get a lighter bike also may i ask what the benefit of having taller handlebars are like the 9" ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Everyone's different with opinions, of course, but here's my take:

Taller bars make things that balance on the back wheel ...more

Thanks again for replying i want to ride street and i actually made a new topic based on all the info you guys were helping me with go check it out need your opinions on that topic too lol :D

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Custom-or-Complete-help-please,1307431

|

3/9/2016 8:27 PM

Big bars aren't something I'd recommend. They're good for taller guys but I wouldn't go any bigger than 8.5 if I were you. I only ride 8.3 on a topload. The bigger the bars the less pop and hop height you're going to have.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/9/2016 10:14 PM

I think you're over thinking everything. You'll have to get used to the bike anyway, and nothing will be easy at first. But, don't get bars bigger than 8.5".

|

3/10/2016 5:57 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think you're over thinking everything. You'll have to get used to the bike anyway, and nothing will be easy at first. But, ...more

I agree buy a complete first and get used to the feel of riding a bmx bike, try learning a few tricks and then worry about what parts and sizes you need when you replace them.

Everyone has different tastes when it comes to how their bike is setup, for example I'm 5'6 160 lbs and I ride a 20.75 with 8.75 29 inch bars on a frontload stem. My bike feels tall but with the short rear its twitchy, for me it works fine but for others that try riding it it doesnt feel right to them. Again its all about personal preference what works for someone else might not necessarily work for you.

Now when buying a complete, consider getting one that is full chromoly with chromoly parts and sealed bearings. Also if you can, check you what kind of warranty they offer as well.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

3/10/2016 2:53 PM

Four wrote:

Big bars aren't something I'd recommend. They're good for taller guys but I wouldn't go any bigger than 8.5 if I were you. I ...more

sorry for all the questions thanks for all your help and if i did buy the complete it comes with 9" handlebars could i replace that right away with any i want or would only certain bars work?

|

3/10/2016 2:53 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think you're over thinking everything. You'll have to get used to the bike anyway, and nothing will be easy at first. But, ...more

yeah sorry im just deciding now between the complete or building custom

|