Getting OLD'er, Thinking Of Jumping Ship From BMX to MTN Bike, What Kind Tho?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/14/2019 3:54 PM

hate to admit, but these jumps and grinds are making me feel it in the wrists and whatnot, feels like I need a more cushiony type of bike, aka SHOCKS.. but holy h311, didn't know there was a million different type of mtn bikes out there.. a bit confusing.

Mainly I love doing Manuals, jumps, and tricks (from bmx history) but never seen pegs on a mtn bike.

Also if I'm being honest with myself, there are no jumps in my area, which is Milwaukee, by way of SHA CITY.. tho I hear they making trails in Minooka park this winter?

Anyways what type of MTN BIKE should I get for manauls, street/park, and dirt trails?

It almost seems like I need 2 of them.. 1 for street and one for trails.

Need some advice on exact make and models to research/purchase please..

let me know..

oNe

p.s. I can do a 30-50 second manual on the 20", but will manuals on a mtn bike(aka bigger bike) be easier or more difficult?

|

11/14/2019 3:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/14/2019 4:06 PM

Get a Santa Cruz 5010, or a Stumpjumper Comp Alloy, and use either for dirtjumps, then get into single track riding and flow trails too. Then when you need to get your bmx fix, go with whats called a 26" dirtjumper with a short travel front fork.

But first try re setting up your bmx to be easier on you. Taller bars? Fat 2.4 tires with low pressure 30psi? Thick grips, and wear gloves. Wear shoes with cushy soles. All these things will make a considerable improvement on joint and muscle impact. For me I can tell a big difference just wearing gloves(I prefer not to but it definently relieves impacts to my wrists and forearm bones. Running lower air pressure than 50psi helps take alot of shock out of the bmx bike too. Some guys run as low as 25 psi and do well.

And I find my mountainbikes to be much more difficult to manual than my bmx. But they are WAY WAY easier to jump big dirt lines, and clear big doubles. They seem to carry speed waaaaay better so it just makes everything trails feel easy compared to bmx.

|

11/14/2019 6:27 PM

You can do a slope style mtb. It’s a full suspension dj basically. It’s going to harder to ride given the geometry from a 20’ bmx to a 26’ mtb but that’s always something

|

11/14/2019 6:42 PM

I would have thought that a discussion such as this would more or less be considered blasphemous on this holy BMX forum???

|

11/14/2019 7:31 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I would have thought that a discussion such as this would more or less be considered blasphemous on this holy BMX forum???

chill bruh..

The WAR with the skaters DECIMATED our numbers, it nearly wiped us out... ONLY by joining with our other 2 wheeled brethen, the MTN bikers, have we only jus emerged once again from the shadows of extinction.

Thankfully the Roller bladers deflected attention away from us during our recovery, and yet even now the Scooter kids have the full attention of the skaters allowing us to once again slowly make our presence known..

Meanwhile thru it all, the SKATERS, with not a care in the world or a drop in their numbers, go on stomping around the SKATEparks like they own the joints, almost as if they were named after them or something...

oNe

|

11/14/2019 7:50 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Phabeon wrote:

chill bruh..

The WAR with the skaters DECIMATED our numbers, it nearly wiped us out... ONLY by joining with our other 2 wheeled brethen, the MTN bikers, have we only jus emerged once again from the shadows of extinction.

Thankfully the Roller bladers deflected attention away from us during our recovery, and yet even now the Scooter kids have the full attention of the skaters allowing us to once again slowly make our presence known..

Meanwhile thru it all, the SKATERS, with not a care in the world or a drop in their numbers, go on stomping around the SKATEparks like they own the joints, almost as if they were named after them or something...

oNe

Damn, extremely well said, and with that..
My post isn't as funny as I was trying for..

I was joking, although my avatar doesn't help my words look funny..

|

11/14/2019 7:51 PM

BillybigRigger, Coopers25, thank you for the input. BillybigRigger, holy smokes, that was a good read and will definitely be applying some of that knowledge towards my 20" riding, GOOD STUFF!

Here's the thing, I may have messed up, posted this at work, all last minute since I was fixing to leave in 10mins so it may have come out a bit too hasty.

LONG STORY SHORT, i don't intend to give up bmx YET, still have another 3-5yrs in it for sure. HOWEVER I have had my eye on a mountain bike for the last 2 years, but only now that I have a $1000 budget did I start seriously looking into it. However I became very overwhelmed with all the choices out there and now its November and I still don't have a bike, which is not a bad ting. I mean I even worked with some harcore mtn bikers the last 2yrs but since I was all about the 20" aka bmx, I really never payed attention to their talks or bike discussions that they always tried to included me in on. I was always like, "uh huh, yeah thats nice, oh yeah, nice bike, but in my head I was like what a bunch of girls riding CUSHY shock soft bikes. NOT that I'[m a hardcore dude myself or anything but yeah..I ride street and grind ledges so we are worlds apart so just never payed them too much attention. WHICH i completely regret because everything I am asking you all now, they knew and were always telling me about it. FACE PaLM fa'sho

Anyways.. that Santa Cruz Coopers mentioned is lookin crazy nice, but not looking to spend that much coin, $2k+, for a single bike, specially it being my 1st mtn bike... forget that for now.

Just looking for an entry level mtn bike that I can maybe get my learn on while still riding my BMX. Keep in mind there are no real jumps or crazy trails for me to ride. Furthermore when I say I ride STREET, really what I mean is neighborhood streets, aka manualing, and occasional rare small jumps, and or ledge grind's here and there...

So with that in mind.

for 2020 here is my WISH LIST

#1 - build out piece by piece a new, modern bmx bike (this will be a seperate post), lifetime BUCKET LIST wish

#2 - $1000-1500 budget to buy a mtn bike with goal of neighborhood street riding(manuals, small jumps, small hiking trails)

and BIG MAYBE on a this.. since it sounds like I need 2 different bike types right?

#3 - second mtn bike for trail riding if #2 above is not suitable, mainly because there is a park near me that has hiking trails and I have seen some guys huck out some TREK mtn bikes on it, so might be suitable for trail riding, some of it may be gentle down hill riding but definitely no jumps there...

Anyways HOPE that helps clear things up a bit..and hoping that helps you guys provide me the info or guidance I'm looking for here..

oNe

|

11/14/2019 7:56 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Phabeon wrote:

chill bruh..

oNe

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Damn, extremely well said, and with that..
My post isn't as funny as I was trying for..

I was joking, although my avatar doesn't help my words look funny..

bwa haha all good my friend, jus hittin you with the gift of gab that I have been blessed with, or as my people say CURSED with, since I use that same type of hit backs at work, even to DIRECTOR and CEO level upper management types.. MAN, once on a dare since a group of us were heading out to grab some wings and some beer I invited our CIO and IT director to join us.. WOULD have been sticky if they joined us but thankfully for them and us, they DECLINED THE OFFER.

Good times

oNe

|

11/14/2019 8:12 PM

And with all that said...

Big tires ain't nothing new either..

My 1949 DX... 48Lbs lol

|

11/14/2019 10:46 PM

Street mtb sounds like the kind of thing you’re after. But all mtb’s are a lot harder to throw around than a bmx. Your wrists might like sus forks but the rest of you won’t like the extra effort needed to get it off the ground.
If you want to continue riding bikes, but find bmx a bit too much I’d suggest looking into single track (it’s like cross country, but a bit more aggressive), or 4x if there’s a race track near you (it’s like bmx racing, but on mtb)

|

11/15/2019 4:43 AM

You COULD consider a 22" or even cruiser 24" bmx style setup if the size of the bike is too much of an issue. Or get some bigger tires and lower the pressure a tad.

OR change HOW you ride to accommodate your pains. I used to huck all kinds of stuff and now I jib around and tables/manuals and toboggans are my favorite tricks to toss out.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/15/2019 6:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2019 7:11 AM

When you say trails do mean dirt jump trails or single track mountain bike trails? If you mean dirt jumping, you can probably run a dirt jumper for both with no problem. As far as I know there are no suspension forks which fit pegs so if pegs are a must then you are more or less stuck with BMX tbh.

NS Bikes has an interesting range of dirt jumpers and street MTBs to look through. The Capital is their most street orientated frame (uses BMX rear hubs) https://nsbikes.com/capital,113,pl.html. The Soda Slope is their slope style bike (basically a full sus dirt jumper) https://nsbikes.com/soda-slope,423,pl.html . The Zircus is their entry level dirt jumper but that Suntour XCM fork is a Piece of shit. https://nsbikes.com/zircus-red,388,pl.html . This trim level of the Metropolis is probably as cheap as you would want to go as it has a decent starter fork the Manitou Circus. Honestly though unless you are hucking off big dirt jumps, coming from BMX you might hate going to hate dirt jumpers. They are much less responsive then a BMX. I'd recommend looking for a used dirt jumper. I frequently see them for $350-$500. The biggest thing is find one with a decent fork. If you don't like it, you won't lose a bunch of money when you sell it. If you spend $1000 on a new bike and you decide sell you are going to lose a bunch of money. IMO dirt jumpers exist for two reasons, one big ass dirt jumps (and not completely smooth ones) and for mountain bikers who want a more playful bike for dirt jumps/street/skills parks/pump tracks.

If you want to ride single track trails and/ or bike parks as well as street then yeah you should be looking at two bikes. Cause a dirt jumper is going to kind of suck on any trail that involves any real distance or uphill or buying one bike and accepting it isn't going to be anything like a BMX for street riding. Also if you want to do want to single track look at the trails near by before buying a bike. Trailforks is awesome for listing the trails around you https://www.trailforks.com/trails/map/?activitytype=1&z=7.6&lat=42.39285&lon=-88.39472. If the trails around you are mostly green, blue, red and even honestly most single black diamonds, then something like a long travel enduro bike or even worst a downhill bike is going to suck. Same if the trails aren't basically a massive climb then straight down (minus the downhill bike, those things don't climb). If it is rolling terrain, you are going to want a shorter travel bike (that isn't an XC bike) or an aggressive hardtail (once again not an XC bike). Rough categories of trail bikes: XC bikes: XC stands for cross country, these bikes are generally made for XC racing. So they are going to have steeper head tube angles (which are good for climbing but crap for coming back down), short travel and lightweight (aka easier to break components). XC races are won on the climbs so that is what these bikes focus on. Downcountry/trail/all mountain: These bikes are going to have 120-150mm of travel from and rear if they are full suspension and about the same front if they are hardtails. Generally build for standard trail riding decent climber/ decent descenders. As long the components are good. They can take somewhat of a beating. Enduro: Full suspension 160-180mm travel. Built around enduro racing where the downhill sections are timed but you still have to pedal to the top. Honestly unless you have big mountain or are doing enduro racing not the best choice for trail riding. Freeride: Basically Red Bull rampage. 180-200 travel. Built to huck of huge shit. Don't really pedal. Downhill: Very similar to freeride bikes but a bit longer and made for downhill racing. Also don't really pedal. Also there is the whole wheel size debate. The two main sizes for trail bikes are 27.5 and 29. 27.5 is slower as it doesn't monster truck stuff as well but it is more flickable and preferred by people who like to do tricks. 26 is unfortunately basically dead for trail bikes.

$1000 in mountain bike money is going to get you an ok hardtail. $1500 can get you a decent aggressive hardtail or a shit full suspension. Here is the bike I have kind of (I built it up from a frame after I broke my full sus) https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ragley-big-wig-hardtail-bike-2019/rp-prod176531. Here are their 27.5 versions in steel. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ragley-piglet-hardtail-bike-2019/rp-prod176529 https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ragley-blue-pig-hardtail-bike-2019/rp-prod176530 Mountain bikes are much much more expensive then BMX and they seem to resell higher then BMX bikes. Also they cost more to maintain and are harder to maintain. The forks are going to need rebuilding. The brakes need bleeding if they are hydraulic. Parts are more expensive. If you have more more direction on what you want to do I can probably give you more direction as far as specs to look at. It is extremely confusing because there are so many kinds of mountain bike riding and each of those kind of has it's own style of bike. Also you add in the generally more complex parts and it can get confusing quick.

As far as manual, yes and no. It is harder to lift the front end and get into manual position but once you get there it is easier to balance.

|

11/15/2019 7:47 AM

Just get a DJ that fits your budget then go from there.

|

11/15/2019 8:31 AM

jmz313 wrote:

Just get a DJ that fits your budget then go from there.

thats what I'm trying to do.. well actually I didn't really know about DJ/Street/Park bikes until a few days ago so the game has changed a bit..

BUT it seems in the USA, the only real sub $1500 complete DJ bike I found is the Specialized P.3, which is SOLD OUT everywhere including Specialized..

So if YALL know any others.. sub $1500

RE-reading 93excivics post now tho, good info in there..

oNe

|

11/15/2019 9:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2019 9:53 AM

Phabeon wrote:

thats what I'm trying to do.. well actually I didn't really know about DJ/Street/Park bikes until a few days ago so the game has changed a bit..

BUT it seems in the USA, the only real sub $1500 complete DJ bike I found is the Specialized P.3, which is SOLD OUT everywhere including Specialized..

So if YALL know any others.. sub $1500

RE-reading 93excivics post now tho, good info in there..

oNe

If you are wanting a dj I'd be looking used to make sure it is something you will actually like. It is going to be a lot hard to pull a lot of things you do on your BMX. I have found it isn't to hard to find a used DJ for not a ton of money with decent spec on FB. The one trick with DJs is a some point (I don't remember the exact years) they moved from a straight 1 1/8in headtube to a 44mm or 1 1/8in taper headtube. Most new forks except the bottom two levels of the Manitou Circus are not going to fit into a straight headtube since they have tapered steerer tubes. So if you find one with a straight head tube make sure it has a decent fork. In general for forks, the good ones are Fox 831s (the 36s are probably the best DJ fork out there), Rockshox has a few and the Manitou Circus Expert or Pro. I'd avoid the RST Dirt and Suntour. The Circus Comp is supposed to be alright but I'd try to find better. You generally want the fork stanchion to 34mm or bigger.

If it has to be new. https://26bikes.com/shop/bikes/dirt-street This company ships NS and Dartmoor to the US and the VAT will be removed from the cost. Or look into who the US distributors for those two companies are. The most street oriented setup I know of is the NS Capital but you have to build that from frame up.

|

11/15/2019 11:38 AM

93EXCivic wrote:

If you are wanting a dj I'd be looking used to make sure it is something you will actually like. It is going to be a lot hard to pull a lot of things you do on your BMX. I have found it isn't to hard to find a used DJ for not a ton of money with decent spec on FB. The one trick with DJs is a some point (I don't remember the exact years) they moved from a straight 1 1/8in headtube to a 44mm or 1 1/8in taper headtube. Most new forks except the bottom two levels of the Manitou Circus are not going to fit into a straight headtube since they have tapered steerer tubes. So if you find one with a straight head tube make sure it has a decent fork. In general for forks, the good ones are Fox 831s (the 36s are probably the best DJ fork out there), Rockshox has a few and the Manitou Circus Expert or Pro. I'd avoid the RST Dirt and Suntour. The Circus Comp is supposed to be alright but I'd try to find better. You generally want the fork stanchion to 34mm or bigger.

If it has to be new. https://26bikes.com/shop/bikes/dirt-street This company ships NS and Dartmoor to the US and the VAT will be removed from the cost. Or look into who the US distributors for those two companies are. The most street oriented setup I know of is the NS Capital but you have to build that from frame up.

Im OLDER but not old, I spoke in haste, BMX wrist pains wont' stop me from riding bmx. Really, what I meant is or was trying to say is that I feel it now somewhat v/s 5yrs ago when it was nothing. Now after a day or riding, talking hours here, at end of day I feel it in me bones, but its more of slight discomfort than pain, apologies for the confusion.

However after 20+ years of bmx, MODERN mtn bikes have intrigued me for a while, so been hunting one for 2yrs now. I've scoured Craigslist, FB Market, LetItGo, and OfferUp, and haven't found much. When I do its usually a fierce bidding war

93EXCivic, maybe I don't know what I want.. or what I think I want isn't what I want..

On the BMX side, I mainly love manuals, and grinds, feebles at that. However on social media I seen some wicked looking mtn bikes and saw dudes MANUALING on them which was crazy to me. The bikes were definitely NOT dj/street/park bikes since I'm only jus finding out about those now, but they were maybe what I now know are called ENDURO bikes, either way they had full suspension on them so not dj bikes.

So I thought thats that, jus get a moutain bike and I can be manualing like those guys, maybe even better since I manual on the bmx, but then I saw the prices, these bikes were like $3000, $4000, $5000 and I was like.. FORGET THAT.

Anyways in my area, there isn't too much to ride, definitely no jumps.. I have these 2 parks near me

https://www.littleswitz.com/mountain-biking - never been but it does not appear to be DJ/park/Street type of riding right? also bout 35mins from the crib so won't be goin there too often i think..

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6576751/minooka-park-loop - like 5mins from my crib, so would probably ride this one the most if anything.. but again from this post and yall's info, does not see like dj/street/park type of bike riding does it?

So KNOWING all of that, that I'll be basically riding the Minooka park(2nd link) the most, but in reality will probably be putzing around my regular neighborhood streets like 90% of the time..

So what bike would you recommend?

oNe

p.s. def leaning a lot from this post man, 93EXCivic, your last post was huge on the info so much appreciated!

p.s.S. how does one quote SINGLE LINES instead of entire posts on this forum? can't figure it out

|

11/15/2019 8:28 PM

A DJ is going to be more fun around the neighborhood but complete crap on those trails. The one closest to you looks like a fairly easy XCish loop but the first one is a lift serviced bike park so that is pretty sweet. No pedaling uphill on that one.

Probably the best all round bike for you is probably going to be a 27.5in wheel short chainstay hardtail like the Chromag Stylus, Dartmoor Hornet, Ragley Blue Pig. The short chainstays and small wheels will make it flickable but slack head tube angles, long travel forks and low bbs mean they are stable when stuff gets steep and techy. The trail closest to you looks like it would get boring quick on a full suspension. Alternately buy a DJ knowing it will be crap on that local 5 loop but it would be doable on that. Go to the bike park and rent one of their bikes and see what you think of it. If you find that you would want to go hit up that bike park fairly often a used downhill bike is pretty easy to find for not a lot of cash later. Or another choice is the NS Surge Evo which is basically a slightly slacker, longer forked and longer seat tubed dirt jumper but frame only so you would have to build it up. You could also look for a used full sus but be prepared to do some maintence when you get it like a fork and shock rebuild. Also mountain bike geometry has massively changed for the better in the last 5 years as well as many of the standards so for most mountains you want them to be built within the last few years. Also how far are you from Rays? That place looks like it would be fun on a DJ.

Really the best thing would be to try to demo bikes. I guess with it hitting winter it is going to be hard to find demos right now but the bike park near you has rentals and generally the bike companies travel around with demo bikes and local bike shops may know when and where they will be or even have bikes to demo. It is much easier to try out different mountain bikes then BMX.

|

11/15/2019 11:48 PM

Sounds to me like you should keep the bmx, but get a good mtb too. 27.5 are great for handling bumps, but 26” will be a little more manoeuvrable still. But I guess it all comes down to intended use. I know a 27.5 would feel alien to me.
Keep the bmx for bmx stuff, and get a decent mtb for the other stuff. No harm at all doing both (other than mtbs getting expensive real quick)

|

11/16/2019 2:57 AM

|

11/16/2019 11:23 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Sounds to me like you should keep the bmx, but get a good mtb too. 27.5 are great for handling bumps, but 26” will be a little more manoeuvrable still. But I guess it all comes down to intended use. I know a 27.5 would feel alien to me.
Keep the bmx for bmx stuff, and get a decent mtb for the other stuff. No harm at all doing both (other than mtbs getting expensive real quick)

I would agree with you on the 26in but it is getting to where there is fuck all in terms of tubeless 26in tires and almost zero new frames that take 26. Basically there are DH tires and that is it

|

11/16/2019 3:30 PM

You're in MKE? I'm in Caledonia. Have you gone out to the rock in Franklin? It will be a haven for you. It's all about MTBiking. They have a trail on the ski hill and Wheel And Sprocket moved their business there. Lots of good stuff in there.

|

11/19/2019 2:24 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

You're in MKE? I'm in Caledonia. Have you gone out to the rock in Franklin? It will be a haven for you. It's all about MTBiking. They have a trail on the ski hill and Wheel And Sprocket moved their business there. Lots of good stuff in there.

From my understanding the Rock is gone? YEP, I even just checked their website and it says the bike park went away?

Also RAY's is gone too,.. used to go there but on bmx.

As far as I knew besides Little Switzerland there sin't much else now that Rays and The Rock are gone.

|

11/19/2019 2:46 PM

93EXCivic wrote:

I would agree with you on the 26in but it is getting to where there is fuck all in terms of tubeless 26in tires and almost zero new frames that take 26. Basically there are DH tires and that is it

93EXcivc, quoting this because I don't know how to quote single lines, or perhaps we don't have that option here?

but aight man, LAST POST I promise, cuz this is getting heavy..

Thanks man, I've learned quite a bit from this post, and quite a bit from you in general, much appreciated. Encouraged by this post, I went to a few bike stores and started talking shop with some locals, friendly bunch and got schooled on the local scene a bit.

I think what it comes down to is, a DJ bike is a NO-NO for me. Since I'm still doing BMX, it wouldn't make sense to have a DJ since I'll be using the 20" for street/park.

Minooka Park - (approved for expansion with donated equipment and ramps from closed parks above, link)

" Minooka Park is located southeast of the City of Waukesha, just west of Milwaukee. The beginner loop (green) is 1.5 miles long and will treat you to a taste of wooded singletrack and rolling prairie trail that will keep anyone entertained. Venture out to the 4 mile long intermediate loop (blue) and you will be treated to a variety of tight singletrack, challenging climbs and flowing descents to keep you on your toes!"

^^ Since 80-90% of my mtn bike riding will be here, I think it would make the most sense to buy a bike for riding in that place/trails right? With the pending expansion(approved but needs to be built now) these trails sound like they will only get tons better.

So there yall have it.. I need a bike for the Minooka trails as noted above which I will ride aprox 80% of the time and the other 20% will be the DOWNHILL trails from Little Swizterland.

Now YALL correct me if I'm wrong but based on my research, and the info in this post, and talking to the locals..

It would seem the bike i'm looking for is an... ENDURO!???

That sound right? Locals were torn.. they were all like..in order of majority votes..

1. Enduro
2. Slope
3. DJ

However knowing I'll be riding Minooka the most, what do yall think?

For 1st time bike, not looking to build, just want to buy a complete and get to riding.

Budge is $1000, but can push it up to $1500 if need be. $2000, I think is a bit much a stretch for a 1st time bike and mtn biking type of riding that I may end up not liking..

oNe

p.s. 93EXCivic the bikes you posted were awesome but not really finding them for sale anywhere.

p.s.s. shame on the DJ bike cuz I got a lead on a gently used 17' Haro Steel Reserve for $500

|

11/19/2019 6:23 PM

I'm not sure you want an Enduro bike. It's a category for specialist race bikes and tends to have racer prices and carbon bits to match and it will ride like a sofa unless you are doing race pace on a national level downhill course.

What you want I think is a "trail" bike. I.e. do it all, pedal well and eat up the miles, but also won't snap in half if you drop off a loading dock.

Usually the recommendation is for a hardtail in that price range. Kona Honzo has a good reputation for a super fun hardtail.

Full suspension starts to get you towards moto price territory. Norco Fluid and some of the Marin bikes (Pine Mountain? Rift Zone?) reviewed well IIRC. Diamondback Release is good too.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTBs-2-000-Mountain-Bike-Comparison,2793

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-three-affordable-trail-bikes.html

"Affordable" in air quotes haha.

I think my real answer for you though, is buy something cheap second hand, anything, resist the temptation for aftermarket parts upgrades and spend as little as possible on it, and ride it until it breaks. While riding it into the ground, take the opportunity to make friends on the trail or in the carpark, and try out other people's bikes. Then you'll have WAY more idea of what you want.

|

11/19/2019 6:32 PM

Also look at Diamondback Sync'r. I saw a mountain bike youtuber I watch got given one, he loved it and ended up riding it a lot and even sent a 40'' jump with it.

|

11/20/2019 4:52 AM

There are a bunch of Dirt Jumper specific facebook pages for info and selling/buying.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/20/2019 6:39 AM

My only thing with an enduro-style bike is your local trails are going to get hella boring real quick. That big suspension travel on blue and green trails just takes any interest out of them in my opinion and you are going to be hunting the used market because as far as I know there aren't any long travel enduro bikes for anything close to $1500. But getting something with less travel is going to be a little bit more punishing to your body on the lift serviced runs and also may not hold up to the big hits as well. Also any full suspension in that price range I think you will be replacing wheels and/or forks before long from use on downhill runs. Comparing some bikes around that price range.

Some full suspension options

Norco Fluid FS3 https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mountain/trail/fluid-fs-aluminum/fluid-fs-3/ For $1700, you get a meh Suntour air fork, a boat anchor of drivetrain (and I am not the biggest SRAM even before the SX drivetrain) and some not brilliant brakes. 130m/120mm travel. Also depending on size you are going to either get a 27.5 or 29. Which you may or may not like. I have ridden the high price option of one this one and I didn't really care for it.

Dartmoor Blackbird https://26bikes.com/shop/bikes/enduro-allmountain/prod/dartmoor-blackbird-intro 160mm travel. 27.5in wheels. Much better fork. Shit brakes (lower end SRAM brakes are pretty problematic and don't give the much stopping power). No dropper post (which is crazy on a 160mm travel bike). Outdated hub widths. Newer bikes have 110x15mm front hub spacing and 148x12 rear hub spacing which is called boost. This bike has non-boost. That really only becomes a problem if you want to swap the parts to a new frame.

Marin Hawk Hill 1 $1500 https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-hawk-hill-1 The Recon fork won't last long doing bike park downhill runs I wouldn't think. At least it has Shimano brakes and drivetrain. And to be honest I'd rather have 1x10 then SRAM SX Eagle groupset. That thing is so heavy and 12speeds are a pain in the ass to keep adjusted. No dropper post.

Diamondback Atroz $1500 https://www.diamondback.com/atroz3 The NX drivetrain is a bit of upgrade on the SX. Recon forks again. The geometry is not great either.

Very soon with all those bikes you are going to at least want a brake upgrade (figure between $130-$200) and any without droppers add another $120-150.

Hardtails

Ragley Blue Pig https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ragley-blue-pig-hardtail-bike-2019/rp-prod176530 Great geometry. Yari fork is a good fork (I mean it is no Lyric or Fox 36 but it will take a beating and be reliable). Dropper post. Steel frame which is super awesome on a hardtail. A good Shimano SLX 11 speed drivetrain. SLX brakes which are decent. Or the Big Wig is the 29in version (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ragley-big-wig-hardtail-bike-2019/rp-prod176531) They also have the Piglet which isn't quite as aggressive as the other two. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ragley-piglet-hardtail-bike-2019/rp-prod176529

Dartmoor Hornet Pro https://26bikes.com/mtb/bikes/enduro-allmountain/prod/dartmoor-hornet-pro-19 Yari fork. NX drivetrain. I am once again not the biggest fan of SRAM brakes due to reliability but Guide T brakes are probably going to be the strongest brakes out of all these and SRAM brakes have nice braking feel whereas Shimano's are a bit off and on feeling. I have heard the Hornet frame is a bit harsh but it is also known to be almost unkillable.

Kona Honzo https://www.konaworld.com/honzo.cfm No the best specs compared to these other bikes and it is considerable less aggressive in terms of head angle but it is hella fun to ride.

Basically for your money you are going to get a better parts and a better geometry with a hardtail. Also with a good hardtail you are more likely to keep it long term then one of those cheap full suspension if you really get into mountain biking. The Hornet and Ragleys will survive bike park use without breaking (The Honzo would also be fine but you will want a fork upgrade as you progress). I'd trust them all more then any of those full sus minus the Blackbird for bike parks unless that is a super mild bike park.

Really though before buying a bike go demo some stuff whether that is swinging a leg over other peoples bikes, going by shops or find manufacturer's demos. It is way to easy to end up with something you are going to want to be selling in a few months.

|

11/20/2019 10:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2019 10:04 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Phabeon wrote:

From my understanding the Rock is gone? YEP, I even just checked their website and it says the bike park went away?

Also RAY's is gone too,.. used to go there but on bmx.

As far as I knew besides Little Switzerland there sin't much else now that Rays and The Rock are gone.

I was just there a month ago and wheel and sprocket said there is a trail. It's a Milwaukee County Park trail though. So maybe that's the discrepancy. You might want to call Wheel and Sprocket and see. I'm pretty sure there is a trail, but maybe it's not run or owned by the Rock any longer.....

Here, check it out, the Kegel Alpha MTB trail.....

https://county.milwaukee.gov/EN/Parks/Explore/Trails/Mountain-Bike-Trails

|

11/20/2019 12:27 PM

Diamondback makes some good shit, especially for beginners. Their Hook , Line , And Sync'r series is pretty good and it's not that expensive. Plus the steep headangle and short rear end will help you "pop" off jumps.

|

11/20/2019 10:43 PM

So i didnt bother to read all the answers but here is my input: for a bmx’er going in to mnt bikes i would say a used slopestyle bike would be ur best bet because they are amazing for street and dirt riding and would make the "switch" a bit easier, the only thing u need to worry about is the fact that a bigger bike gives u bigger confidence and a full suss gives even bigger confidence and that shit nearly killed me hucking down a big set of stairs the first day i had mine😂

|

Street yes please