Getting a tire off the rim

Related:
Create New Tag

4/25/2016 12:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2016 12:57 AM

Okay, so a few days back I posted a thread about my destroyed tire and now I finally managed to get a new one. I am now trying to get that old tire off the rim but I cant seem to succeed....it just doesnt come off. I'm afraid to try using flathead screwdrivers or anything like that, as it might damage the rim. Any ideas? And no, lbs is not an option, as the only one in my city is on the other side of it.
PS: The tire doesnt need to come off intact, as it will end up in the trash after it does. So I'm willing to try any method that could potentially damage it. Thanks :-)

|

4/25/2016 2:19 AM

I use tire levers. Cheap, strong, most efficient way without damage!

Photo

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/25/2016 2:26 AM

readybmxer wrote:

I use tire levers. Cheap, strong, most efficient way without damage!

Photo

I have some, but they're bad quality ones and they bend when i try to use them....useless. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

|

4/25/2016 4:30 AM

I usually use the closed loop end of a rubber coated adjustable wrench.

|

If it ain't broke...

4/25/2016 4:43 AM

Cut the bead with dykes and then cut the tire off, and buy some park tire levers for the new one.

|

4/25/2016 6:42 AM

If you dont care about the tire, cut it up and snip the bead with wire cutters.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

4/25/2016 6:47 AM

I can't tell you how many times I've told people to get one of these, for about 60 bucks its worth it.

http://www.theshadowconspiracy.com/shadow-multi-tool-available-now/

the tire levers in this are really good quality and wont damage your set up.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

4/25/2016 7:45 AM

Man up, use your hands.

|

4/25/2016 8:57 AM

Use a small open end wrench like an 8mm, you put the closed side in and use it like a tire lever. I've done it this way for years. Good luck haha.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/25/2016 2:44 PM

Burn it off?
Take it to your lbs and get it fixed.
Problem solved

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

4/25/2016 2:50 PM

Well, if you're trashing the tire then just cut it this time.

But for next time...

you just gotta get these - Pedro's tire levers
Seriously you'll never need anything else. Strong, work so well.

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

4/25/2016 4:21 PM

Your city is 13.3 KM west to east, so technically if you could ride a bus or get a ride, it's not that far.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/25/2016 6:45 PM

The trick is to make sure that the tire bead on the opposite side of the tire from where you're levering is sitting in the lowest part of the rim. Put your tire lever under the tire bead and squeeze the tire together at 180 degrees from where the lever is. As you lever the tire that opposite side will shift to the lowest part of the rim allowing the lever side to lift high enough to slip up over the rim sidewall. Some tires are more difficult to mount/unmount than others but this little bit of extra tire movement can sometimes make a huge difference.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

4/25/2016 9:09 PM

Sometimes, it's the tire bead size or the rim sidewall height that makes tires a bitch to take on and off. This is why I have like 4-5 plastic tire levers on me all the time when I have tools. They're the Bell ones sold in pairs and the generic ones also sold in pairs that are usually the hardest plastic. Like 75% of them are bent so I bent them back with pliers and they're good to go again. lol NEVER use metal tire levers unless you're that desperate cause you'll slit the damn tube inside if you're not careful. I usually use only one tire lever, but the Bell tire levers are intended to be used in pairs with hooks on the ends of the levers to hook onto a spoke for support, but I never use it.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/26/2016 11:51 PM

Get anything soft like the end of some plyers like mentioned and pull a portion off , and get something else and start from the area you've pulled and move it away from the start and once you're about quarter way around the tire you can use your hand to feed the bead off and you're good

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/27/2016 5:15 PM

with the tire deflated why can you just roll it off the rim with your hands? Always worked for me.

|

4/27/2016 9:55 PM

johnduff86 wrote:

with the tire deflated why can you just roll it off the rim with your hands? Always worked for me.

I'd happily find some Cult Dehart tires and Primo Hula Hoop rims for you to work on. You'll want to kill yourself before it's over. At some point, I remember literally almost crying trying to take off tires on the fattest tire beads and tallest rim sidewalls.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke