Getting back in to BMX - how to pick a bike and other beginner questions.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/23/2016 11:28 PM

Ok, so I last rode BMX back in the 80's. My old bike is long gone. I'm looking to get back in but want to start out with a budget bike - just in case I don't stick with it, etc.

I've been reading the forums for the past couple weeks and starting to understand certain aspects of the BMX bikes on the market now. I want a bike with as much Chromoly as possible, sealed mid BB, 3 piece crank, sealed hubs, and a top tube near 21"+.

That said, I read that "complete bikes are junk". But compared to building a bike myself without knowing what works together, it would be a very costly crapshoot. Also looking at bikes on Craigslist, however they are either beat up/worn out, older models (but not the 80's stuff I liked), or so custom that I don't know if they are good or bad.

With the complete bikes, for around $300 - $400, there's a bunch to choose from that all seem to be the same - as far as specs are concerned. Even within a companyvlike Fit, there's a bunch of models to choose from that don't seem different from each other.

I'm looking at a new 2014 Eastern Traildigger for example. Specs seem good. But is it junk? I don't want the bike to break easily.

Next is the top tube. Seems all the 21" models start at $700 while the 20.75" models start at $3-400. Do the 21" ones have upgraded specs as an industry standard? Like is 21" the cutoff for heavy duty vs anything under 21" can be standard?

Oh - and if you'd like to help me pick a bike, I plan to just ride with my son, and do basic grinds and bunny hops and practice tailwhips. Not going crazy and likely not going to a skatepark until I get "decent enough", at which point I don't mind fully upgrading to a better bike, if needed.

Thanks!!!

|

6/23/2016 11:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2016 11:41 PM

I only read your first paragraph , buy a mongoose mode 900 from Walmart online ,
You can look it up you have the technology ,
Google mongoose mode 900
You said you quit in the 80s
I've been riding for 17 years , 99 was a pretty good year to start , if my bike got stolen tommorow I would buy a mongoose mode 900 and throw a 30 tooth sprocket on it and be good to go , if you do follow my advice I suggest you tighten everything when you buy it and maybe sand the paint off of the bars where the stem clamps on

|

6/24/2016 12:29 AM

eskimo - thanks. I'll pass on the Walmart bike, but I did look it up. Another fine example of my point: bikes that seem to have the basic "good specs", but are junk. Plastic seat, poor tires, poor pedals, handle bars that move, etc - cost cutting everywhere. But hey, what do you want for $200?!

Here's an example of a local Craigslist bike. The guy said he has $1k invested, but I don't know enough to know if this would be a good bike. From what I could find out, that frame is no longer made, and has different geometry making it better for trails than for parks.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/5578545794.html

|

6/24/2016 1:01 AM

^^ That frame looks like it was never offered in 21.5" and he doesn't even mention the hubs, or rim components...

Looks like he just swapped frames on a Fit complete and painted some stuff, along with an aftermarket sprocket, grips and pedals... Not really seeing giving $300 for that.

Also that $200 Mongoose doesn't look bad at all... Add another $100 in sealed bearings, new stem and then just upgrade what breaks (that's only if a 20.5" TT fits you).

|

6/24/2016 1:14 AM

Norville wrote:

eskimo - thanks. I'll pass on the Walmart bike, but I did look it up. Another fine example of my point: bikes that seem to have the basic "good specs", but are junk. Plastic seat, poor tires, poor pedals, handle bars that move, etc - cost cutting everywhere. But hey, what do you want for $200?!

Here's an example of a local Craigslist bike. The guy said he has $1k invested, but I don't know enough to know if this would be a good bike. From what I could find out, that frame is no longer made, and has different geometry making it better for trails than for parks.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/5578545794.html

I'm not sure about that Craiglist find. The frame is the ONLY good part on it. "Custom Fit forks & bars" and "spent over $1000" my ass, those are stock parts from a low level Fit TRL 1 complete from 2010 that cost $360.

Here's a spec list for that bike minus the frame.

It has a sealed cassette hub at least, plus he already upgraded the grips, sprocket, pedals and brake setup. But other than that, if it didn't have that frame it'd be a $100 bike at best. That frame is honestly the only selling point since it's a Sunday and you'll likely never have to worry about breaking it. The rest of the parts are kind of a gray area though. The bars are hi-tensile and not chromoly, the fork is hi-tensile with a chromoly steerer tube, cranks are chromoly, rims are only single walled, front hub is unsealed...

See if he can go any lower than $300. He can keep that piece of shit other frame he has though, it's a 20" TT and hi-tensile steel.

|

6/24/2016 2:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2016 2:35 AM

Thanks! See - I kinda figured with the spare frame being offered that he mostly had taken an entry level bike and upgraded the frame. Not bad, but not knowing the quality level of the parts he listed and the ones he didn't, I can't make an informed purchase of a used "custom" bike.

And no, a 20.5" frame won't work on the Walmart bike.

Actually, when I tried to sit on the 20.75" Eastern bike, one foot on the forward pedal, the other foot much more out in front than that. No way I could reach the pedal in the most rearward position. I'd need to sit on the rear tire. (I see they make seat posts than curve rearward - but a raised seat likely just gets in the way.) But I guess that's due to bike geometry and not really an issue with the top tube length.

So my local shop doesn't stock too much bmx but could order me a Fit. Or they had an Eastern Traildigger in stock. Now online there's sites like Chain Reaction, In House, and Dan's - they have much bigger selection and free shipping and lower prices - but I'd still want the bike professionally set up. Yes, I could put it together myself, but if the cranks don't spin smoothly, or there's adjustments needed, I'd be paying the shop to get everything right. And I prefer to support my local businesses - so, I guess I choose between a Fit or 2014 Eastern. (Are the 2014's any better/worse than the 2016's, seeing how the company was shut down at the end of 2014 and came back a year later?)

|

6/24/2016 2:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2016 2:48 AM

This Sunday on Craigslist caught my eye. Looks entry level but decent - like the others I am considering. A good deal cheaper than a new one. I'm noticing that resale on these bmx bikes is pretty low - and the bikes sit on CL for a long time. Luckily any bike I initially get will just get passed down to my son when he's a little older.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/5631608152.html

|

6/24/2016 3:31 AM

This "Walmart" bike, a.k.a. the Mongoose Mode 900, is simply the best for the low cost. You get pretty much everything you want. 100% ChroMoly, 3-piece cranks, even double-wall rims.

The Sunday looks good, only if the seller is being 100% honest, of course. It is indeed a good deal. BUT! This complete IS NOT 100% ChroMoly. Only the downtube and dropouts on the frame are, resulting in a weak point between welds. The fork only has ChroMoly dropouts, also resulting in weak points. Keep in mind that this is also a 20.75" top-tube bike.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/24/2016 4:51 AM

|

It’s all bmx

6/24/2016 6:22 AM

This I would highly recommend:

http://www.empirebmx.com/kink-liberty-sexton-2017

20.85 top tube
100% chromoly frame bars and fork
a fairly decent parts list

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

6/24/2016 10:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2016 10:50 AM

Norville wrote:

Ok, so I last rode BMX back in the 80's. My old bike is long gone. I'm looking to get back in but want to start out with a budget bike - just in case I don't stick with it, etc.

I've been reading the forums for the past couple weeks and starting to understand certain aspects of the BMX bikes on the market now. I want a bike with as much Chromoly as possible, sealed mid BB, 3 piece crank, sealed hubs, and a top tube near 21"+.

That said, I read that "complete bikes are junk". But compared to building a bike myself without knowing what works together, it would be a very costly crapshoot. Also looking at bikes on Craigslist, however they are either beat up/worn out, older models (but not the 80's stuff I liked), or so custom that I don't know if they are good or bad.

With the complete bikes, for around $300 - $400, there's a bunch to choose from that all seem to be the same - as far as specs are concerned. Even within a companyvlike Fit, there's a bunch of models to choose from that don't seem different from each other.

I'm looking at a new 2014 Eastern Traildigger for example. Specs seem good. But is it junk? I don't want the bike to break easily.

Next is the top tube. Seems all the 21" models start at $700 while the 20.75" models start at $3-400. Do the 21" ones have upgraded specs as an industry standard? Like is 21" the cutoff for heavy duty vs anything under 21" can be standard?

Oh - and if you'd like to help me pick a bike, I plan to just ride with my son, and do basic grinds and bunny hops and practice tailwhips. Not going crazy and likely not going to a skatepark until I get "decent enough", at which point I don't mind fully upgrading to a better bike, if needed.

Thanks!!!

dude..we are in the same boat!! I started riding in '76 and rode until about 90 when I got more into MTB and also more into other things like college, touring with my band etc...

My step-son wanted to get into BMX last fall - we had already been doing the MTB thing - when he saw my old 88 Mongoose Californian Pro. Well, needless to say, I was stoked. Got the old bike out, and got him a really good SE "starter" bike for free form a friend who rehabs bikes (his garage is like a 1980's era bike shop...Haro's, Hutches, Mongeese...all in different states of repair).

Also, have been researching new bikes b/c I don't want to ruin mine practicing tricks. It is pretty much in mint condition wit hall original parts except pedals and tires.

I was completely overwhelmed when I first started researching. BMX is soooom much more...exact/precise/finicky/detailed....now. Back in the 70's you got on the bike,and the only thing you needed were a frame and rims that wouldn't break. What I have come to learn is that you want full Chromoly in the structural skeleton of the bike: frame, fork, cranks and pedal axels. You want double walled rims and all bearings sealed.

Complete bikes are not necessarily crap...if you are in the right price range. To get a solid complete, you are going to be above $400 in most cases. I looked into building a complete...and it would have been over $1300. I didn't want that at first...it will happen down the road. You are not really going to find any bikes like the ones we rode back in the day, but the 74 degree head tube angle will give you the closest feel to what we are used to. And honestly, having gotten back into riding, for street and park stuff, you don't really want the old geo.Our bikes were generally not made for that kind of riding...especially pre-1985ish.

Target the correct geo, the frame stuff I mentioned earlier, and remember that at first, as you are refinding everything about how you ride, you only need "top of the line" quality skeleton at first. You can upgrade the otehr parts as you get better, and build onto a solid structure.

After months of research, and tons of digital spreadsheets and lists, I narrowed it down to:
1. Verde Luxe
2. WeThePeople Trust

and am going with the Verde. They are made a mile from my house, so I love the idea of supporting the "home team" on top of all of the other coolness bout the bike. I might actually get to go to the factory and see it "born" with my LBS owner

If your brain works tha tway, and would like to see some of my spreadsheets etc I can forward them to you at a later date

I would be leary of buying used, only b/c you don't know what you are getting, and are relying on the bike to not disintegrate under you and kill you. Spend the extra bucks to get something that YOU know the history of. Many above have mentioned the Sunday and Kink bikes which form what I know are very solid.

What kind of bike does you son have btw?

One other thing I just thought about...now is a great time to buy b/c the 2017 models will be coming out, and some of the places might start giving clearance sale prices on 2016's...just saw an add on the mountain bike site I am on that sparked my brain about this...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/24/2016 11:04 AM

sXe - thanks! And yes, spreadsheets... I'm an Accountant so number analysis is basically my full time job. I live in Excel - but I was trying to not go that route in picking a bike. *puts nerd glasses on* "According to my analysis, this bike has the best performance per dollar ratio by 1.7%, etc". wink

I think I have a gameplan. The Eastern Traildigger is on sale online for $330. Its not full chromoly but I think it should get me started without breaking in half the first time I hop it. Then once I get my wheels under me again, I can spec out a custom build with everything I want (larger frame, full chromoly, Z-coaster?, etc). If not the Eastern, then I'll order a Fit complete from my local shop for $400, with the plan to upgrade in a year or two.

Right now I have to learn how to ride without a front brake or a gyro. Getting on these bikes now to test them, and I realize how much I relied on the front brake. And I guess I just won't be doing bar spins. I'm not about to remove the brakes.

My son just turned 7, and I upgraded his bike to a 20" one from Toys R Us for $100. He wanted the coaster brake still. He has no friends local to ride with, so his interest in riding is pretty low. And taking him someplace to just sit there and watch him ride in circles is boring for both of us - hence why I want to get something to pace next to him and do some basic stuff. That should get him more excited to learn and give us something we can do together. He would get whatever bike I buy now when he advances.

|

6/24/2016 11:13 AM

Oh - I made the "mistake" of getting my son a Berg Buddy pedal go cart a couple years ago. Loves that thing - just tears it up. He's gotten it on 2 wheels a few times cornering so fast - which is impressive for how low the thing is. He loves to lock the rear and skid out or jump down curbs. Anyways, a bike -any bike - would help me keep up with him on rides.

|

6/24/2016 9:07 PM

Norville wrote:

sXe - thanks! And yes, spreadsheets... I'm an Accountant so number analysis is basically my full time job. I live in Excel - but I was trying to not go that route in picking a bike. *puts nerd glasses on* "According to my analysis, this bike has the best performance per dollar ratio by 1.7%, etc". wink

I think I have a gameplan. The Eastern Traildigger is on sale online for $330. Its not full chromoly but I think it should get me started without breaking in half the first time I hop it. Then once I get my wheels under me again, I can spec out a custom build with everything I want (larger frame, full chromoly, Z-coaster?, etc). If not the Eastern, then I'll order a Fit complete from my local shop for $400, with the plan to upgrade in a year or two.

Right now I have to learn how to ride without a front brake or a gyro. Getting on these bikes now to test them, and I realize how much I relied on the front brake. And I guess I just won't be doing bar spins. I'm not about to remove the brakes.

My son just turned 7, and I upgraded his bike to a 20" one from Toys R Us for $100. He wanted the coaster brake still. He has no friends local to ride with, so his interest in riding is pretty low. And taking him someplace to just sit there and watch him ride in circles is boring for both of us - hence why I want to get something to pace next to him and do some basic stuff. That should get him more excited to learn and give us something we can do together. He would get whatever bike I buy now when he advances.

no problem. It was a pretty deep sea to wade into at first. I mostly use the spreadsheets to have a quick reference list, plus writing the stuff down helps me memorize things...just like studying for college. It helped me very quickly get a very clear view of the equipment scene for sure. To be sure, do you want mine or not?

As far as your sons interest, I would suggest having him watch some videos on Youtube...but some with the sound down if you don't want him exposed right away to cussing. And maybe start by searching the "how to" videos since they won't be some big time X-Games stuff that is out of his reach. What I did with my step son was have him watch some videos of pros first, and then the how to videos - which are sometimes shot by other kids his age that are also in the beginning stages of technique development. He can identify with those kids cause the look, dress, and talk like him, but can ride just a bit better...then I go to the pro edits, - he lieks the Adam LZ stuff; I like Tony Neyer - so he can see some guys shredding...now he is all over the web searching stuff (he is a freshmen in HS this year so I am less worried about the "R" rated-ness of the videos).

The Eastern stuff looks fine to me...I think some of the others on this board sort of look down on it - the Eastern Element was actually in my top 5...I went with the Verde mostly b/c I need the complete to last me for a number of years...possibly as long as my Mongoose...and the Verde just has better parts and build out of the gate

I also plan on doing a custom build down the road just because it would be cool to have a bike that is specific to me. It is going to be founded on a Lairdframe frame - they are beautiful. That build list is in the Spreadsheets

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

6/24/2016 9:18 PM

Sure - can you pm me the spreadsheet? Or pm and I'll give you my email addy. Thanks!

The Verde looks very nice - maybe as my second bike.

|

6/24/2016 9:21 PM

Norville wrote:

If you were planning on ordering a $400 Fit complete, just spend $10 extra (plus shipping & tax obviously) and get this 2016 Volume Infantry bike that's on sale on Danscomp, marked down from $480

Full chromoly frame, fork, bars & cranks, fully sealed hubs with double wall rims... That's the best deal you'll get right now unless you find a goldmine craigslist find.

|

6/24/2016 9:37 PM

Norville wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If you were planning on ordering a $400 Fit complete, just spend $10 extra (plus shipping & tax obviously) and get this 2016 Volume Infantry bike that's on sale on Danscomp, marked down from $480

Full chromoly frame, fork, bars & cranks, fully sealed hubs with double wall rims... That's the best deal you'll get right now unless you find a goldmine craigslist find.

I found a Sunday complete on CL that is $450 new - the guy wants $200. I emailed but no reply. The ad is a couple weeks old so maybe he sold it. There's no phone number.

$200 is a good savings - but otherwise I'll go through the sea of options in the $400 price range and find something I like. The only problem is I recently did this with new pickup truck shopping. I started at $30k, and ended up adding $2-3k here and there for more options until I was looking at a $58k Denali! (I talked myself down to a $51k Sierra... and in 5 years, she'll be all mine! Hahaha). So - trying not to let this bike snowball in to a $1k impulse buy. I can stomach a $400 impulse buy, and $200 is about what I spend on a weekend trip to Costco.

|

6/24/2016 9:49 PM

Norville wrote:

I found a Sunday complete on CL that is $450 new - the guy wants $200. I emailed but no reply. The ad is a couple weeks old so maybe he sold it. There's no phone number.

$200 is a good savings - but otherwise I'll go through the sea of options in the $400 price range and find something I like. The only problem is I recently did this with new pickup truck shopping. I started at $30k, and ended up adding $2-3k here and there for more options until I was looking at a $58k Denali! (I talked myself down to a $51k Sierra... and in 5 years, she'll be all mine! Hahaha). So - trying not to let this bike snowball in to a $1k impulse buy. I can stomach a $400 impulse buy, and $200 is about what I spend on a weekend trip to Costco.

I saw that Sunday, if it's what he says it is, it's a 2015 Sunday Reeves AM Plus

the frame has a chromoly down tube & dropouts, the fork only has chromoly dropouts, the bars aren't even chromoly, and the cranks are full chromoly (most any complete uses chromoly cranks though), and the hubs are both sealed at least, but they're laced to single wall rims.

Honestly with those parts, the other Sunday you posted (the one with the Conductor frame) is a better deal out of the 2 craigslist finds, it lacks a sealed front hub but other than that the specs are almost the same. minus the frame anyway.

Obviously it won't break the first time you bunnyhop and would be good bike to learn on, but if you can afford the $400, definitely jump on that Volume complete I posted before it's sold out, it is on sale anyway. If not, that $200 Sunday would be okay especially for the price IF it's in good condition with no cranks or anything like that.

|

6/24/2016 11:10 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Norville wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I saw that Sunday, if it's what he says it is, it's a 2015 Sunday Reeves AM Plus

the frame has a chromoly down tube & dropouts, the fork only has chromoly dropouts, the bars aren't even chromoly, and the cranks are full chromoly (most any complete uses chromoly cranks though), and the hubs are both sealed at least, but they're laced to single wall rims.

Honestly with those parts, the other Sunday you posted (the one with the Conductor frame) is a better deal out of the 2 craigslist finds, it lacks a sealed front hub but other than that the specs are almost the same. minus the frame anyway.

Obviously it won't break the first time you bunnyhop and would be good bike to learn on, but if you can afford the $400, definitely jump on that Volume complete I posted before it's sold out, it is on sale anyway. If not, that $200 Sunday would be okay especially for the price IF it's in good condition with no cranks or anything like that.

Ok - thanks. I'll definitely give the Volume some consideration.

|

6/24/2016 11:31 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Its just so, orange. Should I care about the color? Part of me says no, obviously the bike specs are more important than the looks, and another part says "yeah, but you want it to look cool too". wink. But you're right - on paper, for $410, that's a very solid deal on a very solid bike.

|

6/25/2016 10:00 AM

Norville wrote:

Its just so, orange. Should I care about the color? Part of me says no, obviously the bike specs are more important than the looks, and another part says "yeah, but you want it to look cool too". wink. But you're right - on paper, for $410, that's a very solid deal on a very solid bike.

I would not worry about the color unless it is going to be the only and last bike you buy...If I was a billionaire, I would get a raw Lairdframe custom build (or trans red), but since it makes more sense to get the Verde, I am fine with it being black. I just want to ride for now. As I go, I am going to add some small blue pops of color - nipples, hubs, and headset - just cause I like black and blue in combination

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

7/1/2016 5:57 PM

Ok - finally got a bike. Had been kicking virtual tires on everything from Fit, Eastern, Redline, Sunday and just browsing everything else on Dans Comp and other pages. Researching used bikes I'd find on CL, comparing specs, etc etc.

sXe - you'll be happy to learn I got a Verde Luxe! Now I just gotta figure out how to ride it.

|

7/2/2016 8:27 PM

Norville wrote:

Ok - finally got a bike. Had been kicking virtual tires on everything from Fit, Eastern, Redline, Sunday and just browsing everything else on Dans Comp and other pages. Researching used bikes I'd find on CL, comparing specs, etc etc.

sXe - you'll be happy to learn I got a Verde Luxe! Now I just gotta figure out how to ride it.

no crap...you got yours before I got mine!!! that is awesome. I still have a few more weeks of saving. Totally jealous!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

1/13/2017 12:58 PM

how can i get a cheap beater bike

|

treat me with respect