Getting back into BMX, help needed deciding between two bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2017 11:54 PM

I've been out of BMX'ing for 10 years, and a lot has changed. Having stumbled upon an old BMX flick recently, I've reeeally been feeling the itch and I think the time is ripe to make a comeback!

I'm having trouble deciding between two bike candidates so I thought I'd just lay this out in front of the honorable jury here. So which one would you rather..? They both come in at roughly the same price point (270$ ish shipped to my door) but being a newbie I'm having a hard time figuring out which is better suited/value for me as an allaround park/street ride.

2015 WTP Zodiac, pretty much stock build

Photo

Or

2015 BSD Passenger custom build, copypasted from the ad;
handlebars:bsd passenger with odi grips
bsd headset
foundation link 18 forks
oddesy hazard front wheel
bsd donnasqueak tyres dust blue almost new
bsd passenger frame
stranger 2 piece cranks with bsd bottom bracket
oddesy la guardia guard sprocket
2 bsd crack pipe pegs
flybike tractor chain (impossible to break)
federal v3 freecoaster laced to a cult rim. is a bit buckled but nothing major, still ridble

Photo

|

9/22/2017 12:03 AM

the bsd seems like a better bike/deal. depends if you want a freecoaster or not.

|

refs: justridebmx, four, kingpin, Alex_DeWitt, Michael_Howard, bmxrider000, TokenBMX(x2)
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

9/22/2017 12:06 AM

Both look good but id get the bsd build just because it looks better on paper and the cost of the aftermarket parts outweigh the zodiac. Also if youre into pegs...its got those

|

9/22/2017 12:21 AM

I'd get the WTP because I find complete bikes not as "beaten" and less likely to have as many issues . Most people with custom completes here usually tend to shred and NEED those parts , thus having aftermarket parts .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/22/2017 12:26 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'd get the WTP because I find complete bikes not as "beaten" and less likely to have as many issues . Most people with custom completes here usually tend to shred and NEED those parts , thus having aftermarket parts .

Thats not a bad thought process...

I partially agree, but visually (without close ups) they look to be in similar condition. If they are Id definitely go for the BSD.

Wethepeople make good shit though.

|

9/22/2017 12:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2017 12:33 AM

On second thought that zodiac might be the better deal wtp might help you out if your frame breaks. Its a chromoly frame and even though you arent the first owner they would probably back their product since its on the upper end of their product line.

I also do like the complete=less use thought...it makes sense.

Not to mention if those pegs were used, the left side is probably pretty ugly...are there pics of the other side of the bike or only the side opposite to the pegs...lol

|

9/22/2017 12:43 AM

I am the passenger.... I ride and I ride...

|

9/22/2017 4:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2017 4:06 AM

Lots of insight, thanks guys! Can't say it has made it easier to decide though...

The BSD is only pictured on one side so your theory is prob right, the ad even states that the paint is chipped from grinds, whereas the WTP is pictured in a lot of detail and looks really lightly used.

I also think that theory about customs vs. completes sounds reasonable, something I didn't even think about!
But then again the BSD dude lives in France at a ski resort where there's snow 9 months of the year so his claim that it's had little use could still hold water... Maybe this will all have to come down to aestethics in the end?

Here are the rest of the pics from the ads;

The Passenger

Photo

and the Zodiac

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/22/2017 4:37 AM

How tall are you? What size are the frames? Just thinking one might be better suited for your size than the other which could play into your decision. My vote is for the WTP. But only because I like their stuff and I like the looks of that one better.

|

9/22/2017 4:43 AM

I vote bsd, but both look pretty good.

|

9/22/2017 6:04 AM

^

the bsd looks amazing so im more towards that one

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

9/22/2017 6:51 AM

I'd pick up the wtp honestly

|

9/22/2017 7:17 AM

Get that WTP! LOOKS BRAND NEW!

|

9/22/2017 7:31 AM

If I could get the WTP delivered to my door for $270 here in Milwaukee, I'd be all over that! & I don't even need another bike!

|

9/22/2017 11:31 AM

The wtp is in incredible condition. I'd personally get that one.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

9/22/2017 11:46 AM

The Zodiac looks brand new. I'm a WTP fan though.

|

9/22/2017 1:15 PM

The WTP is 20.75'' and the BSD is 20.5''. I'm 5'10, but coming from mountain biking I think I'd probably feel more at home on the longer frame... I think you guys have sold me as I'm starting to lean towards the Zodiac as well, it's a bit cheaper than the BSD and I really like its no BS appearance! A good base to start building on, right?

|

9/22/2017 1:50 PM

henristig wrote:

The WTP is 20.75'' and the BSD is 20.5''. I'm 5'10, but coming from mountain biking I think I'd probably feel more at home on the longer frame... I think you guys have sold me as I'm starting to lean towards the Zodiac as well, it's a bit cheaper than the BSD and I really like its no BS appearance! A good base to start building on, right?

Easy! Wtp make good frames and a longer frame is always welcome imo.

|