Getting back into bmx. need help

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2014 1:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2014 1:21 PM

Ok so first off I'm looking to get back into bmx riding and I need to find a bike. I'm 24 and I haven't rode in about 7 years. I need a bike for basically freestyle street riding but 1 that I can also use for dirt riding.ive never had a good bike. I used to ride a Pacific until I had built a Royce union. I will mainly be doing freestyle street riding and I want to teach my son some tricks and be able to bond with him. He is 10. My wife wants to get him a diamondback grind. Which i think may be too heavy for him.But my main focus is finding a bike that can withstand my abuse. I am 240 lbs. My budget is around $350 for my bike and about the same for my son if you have any suggestions for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

|

8/10/2014 1:34 PM

buy from the for sale section, prices are generally about 50% or more off of new prices, then you can get a used custom instead of a stock bike

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/10/2014 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2014 2:06 PM

I'm I don't really care for buying a bike someone else already abused. But if I need to I can go as high as $500 for each bike. My first bike was from toys r us costing 88 bucks. It lasted 4 years of hard abuse. I've always been a fan of dk bikes until they started selling them at wal mart now.
I was looking at a diamondback am session and a dk legend. I still like dks. I just won't buy 1 of them from walmart. Knowing the quality will be different from a Walmart dk compared to a bike shop dk.

|

8/10/2014 3:06 PM

hallucinatn wrote:

I'm I don't really care for buying a bike someone else already abused. But if I need to I can go as high as $500 for each bike. My first bike was from toys r us costing 88 bucks. It lasted 4 years of hard abuse. I've always been a fan of dk bikes until they started selling them at wal mart now.
I was looking at a diamondback am session and a dk legend. I still like dks. I just won't buy 1 of them from walmart. Knowing the quality will be different from a Walmart dk compared to a bike shop dk.

Kink whip is one of the best completes for your budget, that's what is get personally. I had a kink complete before the bike I have now and never had a issue with it.

|

8/10/2014 3:26 PM

Cool. I saw a few kink bikes that looked good. When I was a kid haro gt diamondback s&m and standard were the way to go. Redline wasn't bad either. But I've heard great things on kink and fit. I guess I live in the past a little bit. Lol

|

8/10/2014 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2014 3:35 PM

hallucinatn wrote:

Cool. I saw a few kink bikes that looked good. When I was a kid haro gt diamondback s&m and standard were the way to go. Redline wasn't bad either. But I've heard great things on kink and fit. I guess I live in the past a little bit. Lol

I'm the same way, I just got back into riding a few months ago I have s&m now. When I was growing up diamondback haro redline and gt were all we rode, but I decided to step out and get a kink and had no complaints. They are pretty solid bikes.

|

8/10/2014 3:36 PM

I second the Kink Whip. One of the cheapest bikes with full chromoly parts, double wall rear rim, and sealed bearings all around. It's out of your price range but you'll spend more in the long run if you get a cheaper bike.

If you're wanting an 18" for your son, I'd definitely recommend the Sunday Primer 18". Good geometry and features. No need to spend a huge amount of money on an 18" since he'll probably grow out of it soon.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/10/2014 4:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2014 4:27 PM

Kink whip or kink whip hamlin? Also are there any other options besides that ugly copper? I don't mind matte black just not the copper.id prefer a white and red. Is the 2013 kink whip ok as well or should I get the 2015 and sand it down and repaint. Lol

|

8/10/2014 4:27 PM

hallucinatn wrote:

Kink whip or kink whip hamlin? Also are there any other options besides that ugly copper? I don't mind matte black just not the copper.id prefer a white and red. Is the 2013 kink whip ok as well or should I get the 2015 and sand it down and repaint. Lol

They're almost the same. The Hamlin has .15" taller bars and a different cover on the seat.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

8/10/2014 4:31 PM

Ok. Now what about the colors. Anywhere I can order it in a different color?

|

8/10/2014 4:46 PM

hallucinatn wrote:

Ok. Now what about the colors. Anywhere I can order it in a different color?

I think they make the whip Hamlin in red, if danscomp doesn't show it you can call and sometimes they will special order product for you that they don't have in stock.

|

8/10/2014 4:49 PM

I'll definitely look into it. Are easterns any good?

|

8/10/2014 4:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2014 5:03 PM

hallucinatn wrote:

I'll definitely look into it. Are easterns any good?

Honestly never ridden one myself but I've heard good things about them.

|

8/10/2014 5:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2014 5:11 PM

I just don't really know what to look for when selecting a bike. Like look at the eastern cobra. Is it any good and I know the boss is better. But riding with my son I'm not going to get to do much free riding by myself.

|

8/10/2014 8:16 PM

dk raven for your son, or dk cyngus's their nice bikes for the price.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/10/2014 8:22 PM

hallucinatn wrote:

I just don't really know what to look for when selecting a bike. Like look at the eastern cobra. Is it any good and I know the boss is better. But riding with my son I'm not going to get to do much free riding by myself.

I wouldn't recommend eastern by the fact that their customer service is horrible and rude. They have a bad rep for their parts as well, I would stay far away. Fuck DK, just about all of their parts are shit, besides the team frame and the race stuff. Kink, wtp, fit, colony and just about all the complete brands on dans except for sapient and black eye are great.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/10/2014 8:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2014 8:46 PM

hallucinatn wrote:

Well when looking at completes I look for the most chromoly parts frame/forks/cranks then look for sealed parts hubs/bottom bracket/ headset/ then double wall rims. The bike that has the most of those things for under your budget is what I'd go with. That's why I like the kink whip, all sealed bearings and 100% chromoly frame and forks I believe. I just try to stay away from unsealed bearings as much as possible because if you have to take it apart they are messy and hard to get smooth and require more maintenance and come loose sometimes.

|

8/10/2014 9:13 PM

Ok. So like also the 2015 fit Conway 1?

|

8/10/2014 9:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2014 9:40 PM

hallucinatn wrote:

Ok. So like also the 2015 fit Conway 1?

Seems like a solid bike to me, not a full chromoly frame or forks but all sealed bearings, that bike has a lot of steep angles and short chain stays too which will make it a bit more twitchy and responsive, fit makes pretty good bikes though!

Also you want to make sure the bike is a good fit for you, top tube length can make a big difference in comfort. Danscomp has a size chart on their site for recommendations.
https://www.danscomp.com/serve/products%7Ccharts/riderchart.htm

|