Getting back into it (+need advice on what to do)

Related:
Create New Tag

5/16/2016 10:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/16/2016 10:54 PM

I haven't rode my beloved bmx is months because of surgery and a shit tonne of school work and i just have not had the time to fix my rear hub (there is side to side play).
Anyways i called my lbs today and they said about 30AUD to replace one bearing and if its the driver bearing and the hub bearings then about 50-60. He said he will have to tell me if the driver needs replacing as well incase of damage which will cost alot more (if he can even get the part in)
I have had my bike and this hub since 2011 and im not sure if i should fix up this hub or just buy a whole new wheel/wheels since its getting on now. The front wheel had problems as well but i tightend the shit out of it.
Both wheels have spokes missing and both have big hops in them. I use pegs btw if that helps.
Thanks! smile

|

5/16/2016 11:04 PM

If you can afford it, get new wheels. They'll make you want to ride more too. As for fixing the wheel, you could try it yourself, it's not that hard. All you need to do is take the driver off, get the bearings out and order some more, then put it all back together. Maybe you could buy new wheels then fix yours as a little project and keep them as spares. Replacing spokes is easy too

|

5/16/2016 11:16 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

If you can afford it, get new wheels. They'll make you want to ride more too. As for fixing the wheel, you could try it ...more

Yeah well i have the money but i was hoping to buy a good laptop at the end of this year but bmx is my only hobby apart from going on my laptop basically xD I tryed many times with many different tools to get it off but i cant for some reason.

|

5/17/2016 12:22 AM

The driver should slide off after you've taken the hardware off, you might have to turn it as you pull it. Then smack the drive side of the axle with a rubber mallet, that will push the axle, non drive bearing, and non drive hardware out of the non drive side, then the only thing left in the hub should be the drive side bearing. You can check if it has play in it while it's in the hub. If it does, smack it out from the non drive side with a punch or something. There'll be a code on it which any bike shop or bearing shop will be able to match up. Check the other bearings too while it's apart. If the non drive side has play, take the hardware off the axle, put the bearing on a vice or something similar wher the axle can hang down, and tap the non drive side of the axle and the bearing should pop off. Driver bearings are more awkward to get out, depending on arrangement. Parts should be pretty easy to get. Then it's just a case of putting it all together with new parts.

When putting bearings back in (assuming you don't have a bearing press that fits), use a socket that's the same size as the outer race of the bearing and tap that, if it doesn't go in square, tap it back out and start again. Use grease anywhere metal comes in contact with metal. It's easier if you put the drive side together first but getting the non drive hub bearing in can be a bit tricky. Just tap it lightly with a punch or something on the outer race, going around it so it goes in square. Or you could yolo it in by forcing the hardware against it, I definitely wouldn't recommend that if it doesn't go in fairly easily though.

Or, buy wheels, then save for a laptop :p

|

5/17/2016 8:27 AM

It also depends on the brand hub/rim and if it is worth the repair. It gets a little technical inside the hub. I consider that more advanced bike repair. Youtube videos help. If I wasn't into repairing my own bike, I would just shell out the $ and let the pros do it. Or just get a new wheel. Albes has had that Cult rear wheel on sale for a while now ($150USD). And there are some other deals that can always be had for the kink/mission/etc wheels.

|

5/17/2016 8:06 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The driver should slide off after you've taken the hardware off, you might have to turn it as you pull it. Then smack the ...more

Yeah the thing is i have tried to take it apart and the driver side lock nut just wont move at all, i have spent countless hours trying to get it off. I can get the hub axle with the driver on it out but i cant move the driver because of the locknut to get the bearing out. I allways fix my bike and i would if i could get this bearing out but i cant :/ So ima take it to my lbs and they will look at it and tell me a price roughly to replace the bearings and such, they said they want to look for driver damage as well? If there is alot of damage and such then i might as well get new wheels since of the big hop, spokes/nipples missing and damaged and of the age. But yeah i will fix it for now at the lbs i think.

|