Getting into bmx world

Related:
Create New Tag

2/16/2016 5:16 AM

Hi,

I'm 24 and i got so much interested in BMX :D, is there any tip for me ?

Which bike should i get between this two:

$699 Specialized P.20 Pro BMX Bicycle Size 20
$450 Specialized P.20 BMX Bicycle Size 20
$420 GT DSLY BMX Bicycle Size 20

|

2/16/2016 5:38 AM

Hi, Welcome to BMX !
First, tell us how tall you are.

|

2/16/2016 5:41 AM

Francky wrote:

Hi, Welcome to BMX !
First, tell us how tall you are.

5.5foot (170 centimeter)

|

2/16/2016 6:04 AM

|

It’s all bmx

2/16/2016 6:10 AM

|

2/16/2016 7:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2016 7:31 AM

Why only those five options ?
Your profile say you are in the US so why not use danscomp, albes or any big bmx US website ?

Also for 170 cm a bike with a top tube between 20.5" and 21" will be fine, depends how room you want on your bike, but a I recommend a 20.75" at least, it'll be more comfy.

And the bike adamnmexican advise you is a really good bike, with cromoly steel parts (frame / bars / fork) which means you got a strong and long lasting bike, and the size 20.75" sounds perfect to you.

|

2/16/2016 8:38 AM

Get the GT

|

2/16/2016 9:55 AM

+1 on the GT

|

2/16/2016 10:12 AM

Francky wrote:

Why only those five options ?
Your profile say you are in the US so why not use danscomp, albes or any big bmx US website ?

...more

Thanks @Eskimojay @BoBo_Jenkins for the vote,

@Francy: I'm from Iran i just fixed my profile, sorry for misunderstanding,

two of the bikes that i mentioned in first post are cromoly, the GT one is 20 but the specialized is 21 inch, but way more expensive ( money is not a problem btw )

I found a store near my city i think they can give me good options in bmx, i'm currently waiting for their expert to call, so i'll list other options as well,

excuse me i'm SO NEW in this matter, excuse me if i ask a stupid question or somthing, i appreciate your help.

|

2/16/2016 10:46 AM

First welcome to the site.

Second try to pick a bike with a chromoly frame and parts, dont cheap out if you have the money to spend.
Brands I would suggest are:

FIT
Kink
Sunday
Subrosa
Fly

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

2/16/2016 2:02 PM

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

First welcome to the site.

Second try to pick a bike with a chromoly frame and parts, dont cheap out if you have the money ...more

Yea the most important thing for a bmx that i figure out so far is: Chromoly frame and parts,

my options are:

Giant, GT, Specialized, Haro, Flashy

Specialized P.20 Pro BMX Bicycle Size 20
This model is have chromoly frame and the Top tube is 21inch, you can read the other info here:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2015/pseries/p20-pro#specs

the GT model is also chromoly and top tube is 20 inch,

I think i go with GT DSLY,

What do you think about haro?

|

2/19/2016 7:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2016 9:24 AM

i'm about to buy DUGAN SIG by FITBIKECO, is it good ?

Or maybe Haro Premium DUO
Or Haro Premium Solo
Or Haro Premium Inception
I also can buy HARO PREMIUM CK SIGNATURE

|

2/19/2016 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2016 1:08 PM

Fit bike sound the best option out of these.

Left hand drive though!

|

2/20/2016 7:28 AM

lolotas wrote:

Left hand drive though!

I'm a left hand guy, but i didn't knew it it matters in bikes...

I don't like the left hand bike designs, i'm about to get Benny Sig, it's right hand bike, i can get use to it aren't i?

|

2/20/2016 9:29 AM

lolotas wrote:

Left hand drive though!

Sowzeli wrote:

I'm a left hand guy, but i didn't knew it it matters in bikes...

I don't like the left hand bike designs, i'm about to get ...more

the question is not about your hand writing but which foot you have in the front!

I using my right hand but I have my left foot in the front so its better to get a RHD bike (I have a RHD actually)

|

2/22/2016 8:46 AM

make sure you get a 100% 4130 Chromoly Bike.

buy a bike from one of those brands.

WeThePeople
FIT
Verde
Kink
Cult

|

2/22/2016 10:03 AM

Bugsy wrote:

WeThePeople
FIT
Verde
Kink
Cult

I just contacted empirebmx.com they can ship bike to my country so i'm buying from them,

I was thinking about one of these:

1.We People Zodic 2016
http://www.empirebmx.com/we-people-zodiac-bike-2016

2.We The People Crysis Freecoaster
http://www.empirebmx.com/we-people-crysis-freecoaster-bike-2016

3.Kink SXTN Sexton 2016
http://www.empirebmx.com/kink-sxtn-sexton-2016

The reason that i decided not to buy from FIT is the color, their pro 2016 bikes doesn't have good color palette, not my type, benny sig 2015 was cool but out of stock,

What do you think of this ?

|

2/22/2016 10:40 AM

Bugsy wrote:

WeThePeople
FIT
Verde
Kink
Cult

Sowzeli wrote:

I just contacted empirebmx.com they can ship bike to my country so i'm buying from them,

...more

zodiac. good parts. very good customer service.

|

2/22/2016 5:56 PM

Bugsy wrote:

WeThePeople
FIT
Verde
Kink
Cult

Sowzeli wrote:

...more

The first rules for a correct and long-lasting BMX are, as you know:

-Full 4130 chromoly frame
-Welded, 2 walled aluminum alloy (6061 will do) rims (baiscally a rim with two wall...duh XP)
-A size correctly tailored to your height: always go with the bigger size on your list: you want stability if you are going to go big on jumps, ramps, etc. The opposite is true for street riding, which demands for technical handling.
-Chromoly bars
-Strong, proven hubs.
-A good company that you trust in.

I have a WTP Crysis (2014) myself, but i will try to do a fair critique for you.

For the two WTPs:
-The Zodiac is a very high quality, nearly top-of-the-pack model. It comes decked with sick parts, and should you quit on BMX, you can resell it at a relatively high price (but there is the risk of no buyers tho). It is great for people who have already a lot of experience in BMX, because this is the bike the will be able to take them further. However, that doesn't mean you can't get it just because you are a beginner. The more pro the bike, the better it's longevity, quality and overall feel, but the heavier the price tag.
-The crisis is also a well proven bike that is built for the heavy abuse beginners can give it. If you don't want to spend a kidney on a BMX, get the Crysis instead of the Zodiac. It's just nearly the same bike with an easier price tag to swallow.

In conclusion, if money is no concern (lucky guy), get the Zodiac all the way. Just be sure to stick with BMX!

For the Kink, it also looks like a solid option.it is in full black, so you can easily change up some parts and colors to suit your desires. Kink is a proven, and quality company. Its up to you to make the decision: Kink for american engineering, or WTP for german engineering.

All I can say from my experience with WTP and it's products is that it's such a steal when you consider the price. The quality is top-notch and the bike itself is a work of art, with attention to detail. It's like a custom aftermarket bike with stock looks. You can never go wrong with WTP.

The Crysis and the Kink, price wise, are par-to -par. Just look at the company and it's riders: who would you want to support more? The choice is yours.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

2/22/2016 9:58 PM

Skylight wrote:

-Welded, 2 walled aluminum ...more

wish i could buy a beer :D Thanks for this great info,

Actually my options are all the bikes in empirebmx.com, the reason i chose these 3 is only because of their design, Fit Bikes are also popular but I might go with the Crysis because it will set my car color :D, it's also chromoly, I also can paint the bike if i wanted to so it's not a big deal now,

I watched some BMX unboxing video in youtube, none of them had pegs, Do i have to buy them separately ? Is there any info that i need to know before ordering pegs?

|

2/23/2016 1:39 AM

Sowzeli wrote:

...more

Skylight wrote:

-Welded, 2 walled aluminum ...more

Sowzeli wrote:

Actually my options are all the bikes in empirebmx.com, the reason i ...more

WTP come with 2 pegs for sure. and the top 2016 models I think have had guards to go the with peg installation.

I have a 2015 model and it didn't have a guards.

|

2/23/2016 2:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2016 2:01 AM

lolotas wrote:

WTP come with 2 pegs for sure. and the top 2016 models I think have had guards to go the with peg installation.

I have a 2015 ...more

well 90% of the bikes i've saw in the videos had 4 pegs, So i think i need to get 2 extra peg right ? And i also don't know what's the guards u talking about :D i searched but couldn't find anything related to this

|

2/23/2016 2:59 AM

Sowzeli wrote:

Actually my options are all the bikes in empirebmx.com, the reason i ...more

lolotas wrote:

I have a 2015 ...more

Sowzeli wrote:

well 90% of the bikes i've saw in the videos had 4 pegs, So i think i need to get 2 extra peg right ? And i also don't know ...more

don't worry about the pegs and guards for now!

you need time to use the 2 pegs first. give it a year and then you get more in you like.
Some pros run without any pegs smile

Just get a bike and start working your way up

|

2/23/2016 7:17 AM

To be able to put a bike together, out of a box, is a really easy work-that is, if you are mechanically inclined-. It's an easy job that will not bother anyone. Two problems can crop up for the budding bike mechanic: the stem/bars, and the rear wheel.

For the stem/bars, the problem is to get em perfectly aligned with the front wheels. As for the stem cap, tighten the 4 bolts in an X pattern, about a full turn each is perfect (then move on to the one diagonally opposite), and while doing so be sure the gaps in the front and the rear of the cap are about the same width; plus, the cap itself should be horizontal (vertical for a front load). Anyways, take it like this: the bottom of the cap needs to be parallel with the top of the stem/bar interface. Lastly, start off with the bars parallel to the fork legs, and then tune the position from there.

For the rear wheel, getting it perfectly aligned in the drop outs is paramount. Not getting it straight could put unnecessary loads to the hub bearings, spokes, rim, and more tire wear in addition to drag that will slow you down. To tighten your rear wheel (and tension the chain):
-Loosen both bolts (it helps to have two spanners)
-Get the bike laying upside down on it's bars in front of you. Better have a wall behind you.
-Put feet on pedals, take one hand and pull on the wheel as much as possible
-Tighten non drive side
-Adjust chain tension by moving the other side (you can let go now)
-Tighten drive side after correct chain tension has been achieved
-Loosen bolts on the non-drive side
-Align rear wheel by moving non drive side
-Tighten bolt.
-Voila.

Now, with those two things taken care of, here is what i would recommend for the pegs:

Don't put them on. Having a spanner to tighten the rear wheel is great, but you will need yet another type of tool to tighten it correctly with that peg on. Pegs make the bike heavier, and a light bike is very important for a beginner. THe heavier, the more energy. The more energy, the faster you will become tired. The faster you become exhausted, the faster you are tired of BMX.

Hell, it's you. Put the pegs on if you want. I'll just say that, seeing that the Crysis comes with a F/C, smooth and flowy riding is best achieved with no pegs, and is generally more fun and enjoyable than the rugged thrashy and technical, bone-breaking street riding of today...

|

2/23/2016 7:42 AM

Skylight wrote:

To be able to put a bike together, out of a box, is a really easy work-that is, if you are mechanically inclined-. It's an ...more

I already done this kinda stuff when i was a kid :D i also watched some youtube video, your information was very helpful also, so i won't miss anything, thanks,

About the pegs, I thought they are extremely important, As i watched bmx videos i got more into flat land tricks ( which is pretty hard i know ), by the way the city i live in there's NOT any place for scooter, skateboard or bmx,

But no matter what i'll do what you said, i really don't wanna get tired of bmx so soon :D, Thanks,

|

2/23/2016 5:27 PM

Sowzeli wrote:

I already done this kinda stuff when i was a kid :D i also watched some youtube video, your information was very helpful also, ...more

If you are more into flatland-street, like matthias dandois, then the best bet would be to get aftermarket flatland pegs (that have micro knurling on them for better grip). You can always polish the other end for normal grinding and use the top part for any flatland moves (hang 5s? etc)

|

2/26/2016 5:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2016 5:13 AM

Skylight wrote:

To be able to put a bike together, out of a box, is a really easy work-that is, if you are mechanically inclined-. It's an ...more

Sowzeli wrote:

I already done this kinda stuff when i was a kid :D i also watched some youtube video, your information was very helpful also, ...more

Skylight wrote:

If you are more into flatland-street, like matthias dandois, then the best bet would be to get aftermarket flatland pegs (that ...more

I have two options in crysis, one is 21 inch one is 20.5 inch, which one should i get ? i think 20.5 would be better since my height is 170 centimeter

i used this bmx size calculator: https://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/bmx-bike/size-sheet?utf8=%E2%9C%93&u=in&r=man&h=1676.4&b=Calculate

|

2/26/2016 6:03 AM

Hi folks.
I'm 23 years old and I decided to buy myself second bmx after 15 years.
I'm tall 197cm (6'5") and interested in flatland ride.

I've seen
GT Compe 2014, 2013 as well
GT Slammer 2014
GT Performer 2014
GT Zone 2013.

I am absolute beginner in flatland ride, so if you tell me which one is bestbuy for me. While I was looking around on the internet about BMX specs for taller guys like me, I've seen that it's recommended to get 24" top tube bmx, but I guess it's not so easy to find that kind of bike?
Also, those GT bmx that I've listed up there, I couldn't find any info about their top tube length, so - if you can tell me top tubes length of those GT's bmx and also any recommendation, and how it would be to ride 21-22" tob tube bmx.

Ty

|

2/26/2016 6:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2016 7:00 AM

sile wrote:

Hi folks.
I'm 23 years old and I decided to buy myself second bmx after 15 years.
I'm tall 197cm (6'5") and interested in ...more

There are bmx bikes with 24" wheels...I don't recall ever seeing one with a 24" top tube. That would be huge, and you would have to have the frame custom made.
I'm thinking you either confused a 24" top tube with 24" wheels, or you meant a 21" or 22" top tube instead of 24".

|

2/26/2016 7:21 AM

I guess I meant 24" top tube but its way to big. So I guess 22" is a max of top tube.
And is it matter which wheel size to start with - 24 or 20? I'm personally more interested in 20", but feel free to tell your opinion, and if size is important in starting with flatland...

|