Getting your bike stolen

Related:
Create New Tag

12/8/2016 8:45 PM

Have you ever gotten your bike stolen? If so, did you get it back?
I got my bike stolen from a circle k after about 5 seconds of me walking into it. Luckily I got my bike back because the thief tried to sell it to a local bike shop that knew me and what my bike looked like.

|

12/8/2016 9:33 PM

Fuck thieves, at least you got it back though. Invest in a lock, even a little one like the Subrosa combat lock would suffice for short term trips in to get a drink or something.

I've never had mine stolen (knock on wood) but I know people who have had theirs stolen and I've actually helped get it back for them cause the thieves here are fucking morons which is a good thing for us.

The best one was when I built up a bike with my spare parts, sold it to a friend, and that got stolen. I got a tip that some guy had it so we all paid him a visit to his home. I acted like I was interested in buying it cause I heard he was selling it. He said it was "Animal frame, forks bars... Almost Animal everything" which is funny cause I put Animal stickers allll over that thing. He brought it out and went to shake my hand to kinda formally introduce himself, and I cut him off saying it was stolen and he denied it. He claimed he built it from the ground up, and I pull my phone out and said "oh that's funny, I guess these photos on my phone of ME building it up are fake" and he continued denying it, so I read him off the 1st serial number and he says "uh actually it's..." to which I cut him off and read the 2nd one and told him I could keep going. He gave up and said to just take it haha

|

12/8/2016 10:37 PM

I had my old s&m pbr stolen twice, and got it back both times. The first time I was at a skatepark, had a roll around on someone's skateboard, and some ratty kid jumped on my bike and rode off. I chased him down on my friends bike and got it back.
The second time was at knife point in the middle of Bristol city centre, in the middle of the day, on a nice Saturday. 2 crackheads came up to me and a friend while we were sitting down chilling, asked if they could have a go, argued with us, then pulled a knife and tried to stab me. They took both our bikes and no one around us believed us! We called the police and they found my friends almost straight away, dumped in the middle of the pavement.
I thought mine was gone forever, it was a proper heart breaking situation. Then about 5 days later my friend was going for a meal with his family, saw someone on my bike and told his dad, his dad just got out the car and took my bike off the guy. It was freakin awesome!
I think if my bike got stolen now I'd probably quit haha, I've invested far too much time and money into it, and I'll never be able to afford to get it how it is now. Although, when my new frame arrives I'll be getting it insured.
It sucks though. People that steal bikes need a curb sandwich.

|

12/8/2016 11:44 PM

Got it stolen when I was 11, I think.
It was an old cruiser, not really worth much, but it was my first proper bike...
I just kept it in my aunt's front yard, not locked or anything, because she had a big, mean dog, and because that was a very safe area.
But there was a market right next to the house, and some watermelon merchants (that were leaving the city at the end of summer) stole it sad
They just threw a watermelon at the dog and jumped the fence...bastards!

Now, I never leave my bikes unsupervised smile) I'm even thinking about locking them inside the house...

I live in an apartment, and the building has a room at the ground floor that nobody's using.
And I was thinking about gathering all the cyclists from the complex, invest some money in a serious solid anti theft door, some surveillance system, an alarm system and solid bolted locks inside the room to secure the bikes smile))

That way we don't need to keep them in our apartments, to be yelled by our mothers about, anymore smile)

|

12/9/2016 5:58 AM

had my favorite bike stolen from my college with like 5 cameras around. the bitch wouldnt check the cameras. and said she did. i watched her make a sandwich instead of checking the cameras through a crack in the door. and the cops told me well we have to believe her and we cant check them unless sshe says to...

idk. now i got a sick custom i built. but idk. didnt have the old wear and feel of my eastern. i miss that build

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/9/2016 9:38 AM

Have 2 story's:

1. back in the 70's asa a kid, I wanted a Mongoose Supergoose. Worked for 2 years to save up for it...mowing lawns, shoveling snow etc. I was 10 years old. Finally the day came, and I went down to the bike shop with my $350 (which was a HUGE amount for a 10 year old kid to have back then) and paid for my Supergoose. I was the king oft he hill. All my other friends just had huffy's, Schwinns, Sears bikes. A few had Red Lines, but Mongoose was like an FBM back then. Only the guys in California had 'em. Well, 3 months later, our garage got broken in to, and they took the bike among many other things. I was crushed. At 10 years old, I had learned about how much people suck, and how much society sucks. That is where I developed my intense hatred for criminals and people who break the law. I became the self appointed neighborhood vigilante. Replaced the bike with a Raliegh BMX of some sort which did get ridden, but was painful to be on b/c of what it SHOULD have been

2. About 15 years ago, my trusty purple Trek Mountain Track 830 was in the back of my van, along with my hockey gear and other stuff. Stopped at my parents house for a second to do something, and in that time my van got broken into....like 15 minutes...they took the bike and my hockey gear. WTF would they want with my stinky, moldy hockey stuff? Also took some CD's and change. Drove arounf the neighborhood and found the hockey bag a fw streets over. Nothing missing there, which is good cause that is about $1000 worth of equipment. The smell must have gotten to them. Filed a police report on everything else. Didn't expect to see the bike ever again.

3 months pass. I am sitting at home, and at midnight I hear a loud knock on my door. Scared the crap out of me. Opened the door, and it is a cop. The one who tool the report months earlier. He says "Did you file a report about a stolen bike about 3 months ago?" Im like "yes". He goes: "come with me". So I head into his car - had never been in a cop car - and we drove into the sketchy section of town just south of Ohio States campus to this house with about 4 other cop cars and a paddy wagon. And a ton of stuff in the front yard. Bikes, power tools, car stereo and regular stereo equipment....and my purple Trek.. I was sooo happy! The cop said " I remember hearing about a purple bike being stolen. Nobody rides purple bikes. But here is yours" Turns out there were about 10 tweakers living in the house stealing stuff and selling it to get drug money. He takes me over to the paddy wagon and opens the door. All of the pieces of shit were sitting in the back. He goes:"do you want to press charges?" I said: "cant we just shoot em all now and put the tax money to better use in our schools?" He laughed and closed the door.

We put the bike in the car and he took me home. He said:"you might want to wash the grips. They have probably been riding that thing around selling drugs" So now my Trek, which had been all over Ohio, Michigan and West Virginia singletracks; which had been my bike courier bike for 2 years, was also a drug mule.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/9/2016 5:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2016 5:45 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I had my old s&m pbr stolen twice, and got it back both times. The first time I was at a skatepark, had a roll around on ...more

Hey man, is that where you're at, Bristol? My wife's grandmother's from there- she's 90 and she sometimes talks about it. Used to live in Barton Hill I believe. Cool story bro, I know. But we were just talking to her about the old times the other day

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

12/10/2016 1:17 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Fuck thieves, at least you got it back though. Invest in a lock, even a little one like the Subrosa combat lock would suffice ...more

I just had to laugh reading this! That thing just made my day.

Incredible to read all these stories, should patch em up into a book or something...

Never got a bike stolen, thank goodness.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

12/10/2016 1:09 PM

Out of the 20 years I've been riding BMX, I've had one bike stolen from me. It was in the late 90s and it was taken from my front yard. I remember the feeling like it happened yesterday. My heart sunk and I searched days for it with unfortunately never getting it back. I even skipped school the day it was taken to continue the hunt. I definitely learned my lesson that all it takes is one second for your bike to be gone. I made sure it never happened again!

A quick note - I think it's really cool to see BMX brands starting to offer some products such as locks to detour thieves from swiping your ride.

|

12/10/2016 1:29 PM

I had standard 125 stolen out of my front yard they cut the fence it was chained too but they left there pliers I never seen it again worst feeling I felt loosing that bike

|

12/10/2016 11:33 PM

Photo

Rest in peace , by far the best bike I've ever owned . Never felt boring or shitty .

Fuck the thieves who wait 3 hours and have bolt cutters that cut through 100$ kryptonite locks !
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/11/2016 12:22 AM

i had a volume dinosaur jacked from me with fresh odyssey hazard cassette hub laced to alex triple wall with yellow primo spokes, shadow v1 chain and a 33t sprocket with bash guard i know who stole and this is more than 10 years ago when i do see them though they will cop a beatdown

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

12/11/2016 1:23 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I had my old s&m pbr stolen twice, and got it back both times. The first time I was at a skatepark, had a roll around on ...more

Charliekeet wrote:

Hey man, is that where you're at, Bristol? My wife's grandmother's from there- she's 90 and she sometimes talks about it. Used ...more

Nah, I live in Kent now, I lived in bristol for a few years in my early 20's though. That place is awesome for riding, and just in general. If I could I'd move back there. But all my family is here

|

12/11/2016 2:55 PM

I once caught a kid trying to steal my bike. I gave him my bike....several times as he lay on the ground after I beat the shit out of him.

|

It’s all bmx

12/12/2016 5:18 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

I once caught a kid trying to steal my bike. I gave him my bike....several times as he lay on the ground after I beat the shit ...more

hahahah beat the bike thief with the bike. thats great.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "